Just Back Home after a Serious Event.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have just got back from St. Mary's Hospital Rochester. I suffered a near lethal medical event this week and I'm very lucky to be making this post.

This occurred sometime Monday night to Tuesday morning. I found I was very short of breath on trivial exertion when I got up on Tuesday morning. On checking my oxygen saturation I found it dropped on just walking across the bedroom. I had a strong suspicion that I had, had a pulmonary embolism. So I had my wife drive me to the closest Mayo facility at Cannon Falls 30 miles away.
There I had a D-dimer BNP and cardiac troponin. All were very elevated, indicating intravascular clotting and significant cardiac stress and damage. So I went straight to their CT scanner, for CT with and without contrast. This showed a sub-massive saddle pulmonary embolus. This is a large blood clot obstruction the outflow of the right heart right at the bifurcation of the pulmonary trunk, and the division to the left and right pulmonary arteries. Anything above sub-massive is usually found at post mortem and sub-massive ones also often fatal. Full anticoagulation with Heparin was instituted immediately.

So I was red lighted in an ambulance to St. Mary's Hospital Rochester. There cardiac ultrasound showed very significant cardiac dysfunction of the right ventricle with the classic wall motion abnormalities and some blood regurgitating back across the tricuspid valve.

I don't think I need to tell you this was a grave situation. The outcome is that 35% resolve. The rest either require heroic efforts from interventional radiology with uncertain outcome, or observation and going on to a poor quality of life with slow improvement. or continuing slow decline with death following sooner rather than later. There is only a 7 to 10 day window to decide on Intervention.

Well I am glad to say I won the lottery. On walks with the respiratory therapist I was only able to go a few yards, without getting very short of breath and my oxygen levels going down.
In the early hours of Wednesday morning, I honestly felt my death was imminent.

Yesterday afternoon, Thursday, I went for a walk with the therapist and felt fine. My resting oxygen levels were normal and did not drop with walking and I did not get out of breath. I walked two lengths of the corridor without trouble at a good pace. So I knew immediately I had won a lottery whose odds were much better than Powerball. The embolus had broken up and dispersed.

So, I am back home now and will have to take anticoagulants for the rest of my life.

I feel a bit shattered, but all things considered not too bad and thankful I was in the right third of outcomes.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Wow, congrats on surviving that! Nothing like a near-death experience to make one appreciate being alive.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Glad to see you beat the odds TLS. Health is everything.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
As the guy who reads those PE studies I know how bad that was. So glad you pulled through. That was a big one. Something I have learned is that while clots in leg veins take a long time to clear up and often have long term sequela when they go to the chest they clear quite quickly days to a few weeks and usually with little long term issue. The key is to survive the event which you did.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
TLS pulling for ya and prayers that this doesn't come back in the future.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Wow, you had quite the week. I'm very glad to read about your short-term outcome. And I hope it continues to be long-term. I assume you'll remain on Heparin, or another anti-coagulant, for the time being.

You have to be the one person I know who can experience this sort of "event", and very soon after can tell us all about it in some detail. That pulmonary embolus may have affected your blood oxygen levels, but you have remained clear-headed enough to tell us about it. There must be some kind of reward for that … maybe living to tell us about it is the reward :). Three cheers for the clear-headed PE patient!

Whenever people post their unusually bad ideas for their first DIY speaker building effort on Audioholics, I rely on you to be the bad-guy curmudgeon, while I get to be the nice-guy curmudgeon. That good-cop / bad-cop combination is often successful at talking the enthusiastic but inexperienced DIY builder out of his initial idea. Please continue to recover.

And once again, three cheers for the Mayo Clinic too!

Last edited:
DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Wow, you are very lucky! So glad you are feeling better!

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
I have just got back from St. Mary's Hospital Rochester. I suffered a near lethal medical event this week and I'm very lucky to be making this post.

This occurred sometime Monday night to Tuesday morning. I found I was very short of breath on trivial exertion when I got up on Tuesday morning. On checking my oxygen saturation I found it dropped on just walking across the bedroom. I had a strong suspicion that I had, had a pulmonary embolism. So I had my wife drive me to the closest Mayo facility at Cannon Falls 30 miles away.
There I had a D-dimer BNP and cardiac troponin. All were very elevated, indicating intravascular clotting and significant cardiac stress and damage. So I went straight to their CT scanner, for CT with and without contrast. This showed a sub-massive saddle pulmonary embolus. This is a large blood clot obstruction the outflow of the right heart right at the bifurcation of the pulmonary trunk, and the division to the left and right pulmonary arteries. Anything above sub-massive is usually found at post mortem and sub-massive ones also often fatal. Full anticoagulation with Heparin was instituted immediately.

So I was red lighted in an ambulance to St. Mary's Hospital Rochester. There cardiac ultrasound showed very significant cardiac dysfunction of the right ventricle with the classic wall motion abnormalities and some blood regurgitating back across the tricuspid valve.

I don't think I need to tell you this was a grave situation. The outcome is that 35% resolve. The rest either require heroic efforts from interventional radiology with uncertain outcome, or observation and going on to a poor quality of life with slow improvement. or continuing slow decline with death following sooner rather than later. There is only a 7 to 10 day window to decide on Intervention.

Well I am glad to say I won the lottery. On walks with the respiratory therapist I was only able to go a few yards, without getting very short of breath and my oxygen levels going down.
In the early hours of Wednesday morning, I honestly felt my death was imminent.

Yesterday afternoon, Thursday, I went for a walk with the therapist and felt fine. My resting oxygen levels were normal and did not drop with walking and I did not get out of breath. I walked two lengths of the corridor without trouble at a good pace. So I knew immediately I had won a lottery whose odds were much better than Powerball. The embolus had broken up and dispersed.

So, I am back home now and will have to take anticoagulants for the rest of my life.

I feel a bit shattered, but all things considered not too bad and thankful I was in the right third of outcomes.
Oh my sorry to hear but glad you’re ok. Hope your recovery goes well. Put on your favorite playlist and relax

F

Focus SE

Junior Audioholic
Your sharing of your story may very well be the reason someone else may survive this. Too many people shrug off symptoms and suffer the consequences of doing so. We have so much fun listening and do so often enough to know when something doesn’t sound right. Listening to our bodies isn’t as much fun but certainly needed. Here is to many more years of happy listening !!!!!!

B

Bruce53

Full Audioholic
Sorry to hear about your experience. Glad that you beat the odds

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Glad you made it! This getting old business has a lot of pitfalls....

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
I I had a strong suspicion that I had, had a pulmonary embolism. So I had my wife drive me to the closest Mayo facility at Cannon Falls 30 miles away.
Glad to hear you are still amongst the living.

Any idea what caused all of this; age related, diet or ... ?

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Glad to hear you are doing better, this world needs men like you. A dying breed for sure. (no pun intended)

I myself had a little episode a few months where I thought I had a heart attack.
But, I'm stupid and think myself still invincible at 66 and didn't go to the ER and didn't see a doctor until 5 weeks after the incident. Went through 5 days of not thinking I was going to make it.
The docs really aren't sure what happened. The only thing they found is slightly high cholesterol.
I'm still getting winded real easy...not sure why.

Opened my eyes though, and now I'm actually taking better care of myself.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Very glad to hear of such a miraculous recovery. Thanks for relating your story. The wealth of information that you provide is greatly appreciated.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
good to hear of your smart thinking, quick acting response, which for sure saved your life ! Hopefully you're like the cat with 9 lives !

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis