Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
...salient(oh, gee, it's one of dem big words again) points re: the recently demised and thoroughly side-splitting thread, concerning a certain manufacturers demo-models...

I found nothing particularly amusing in the premise of the thread in question, save for some of the responses(but then, I also laugh at Polack jokes and I'm of Polish descent)hence my participation.

I was asked a specific question as to my gear and I gave an equally specific answer..sorry if some of the self-proclaimed "cognescenti" got their feathers ruffled and consequently needed to vilify me and my equipment...

Precisely when did I defend, promulgate (oops, another "biggie") or even mention any specific gear, other than to answer THAT question?

Someone out there doesn't care for my 20+yr/old Citation? Well, BFD...@100Wpc into 8 Ohms and 200W into 4 Ohms it drives the load presented to it effortlessly...usually at around 2.5W for roughly an 80-85dB level...at least that was my reference point when I did the measurements for my room EQing. Give me some of that good 'ol USA "dinosaur" power any day!

I won't go into the room treatments or alterations I made to accomodate these loudspeakers(anyone interested can do a thread search here) or any of the other specifics, as I realize they will fall on deaf ears and simply be a waste of bandwidth...suffice it to say, yes, the speakers do present what I feel is an accurate image and a well balanced frequency response...I am a part-time musician and amateur recordist, consequently I do know what live music sounds like...unfortunately, they are not as "in-your-face" as some other systems I have encountered(and yes I do visit the "salons" to keep up with current models and trends) you must really look, or rather listen "into" the image to realize it, so they may sound a bit "flat" to the uninitiated. They aren't easy, but exceptional results rarely are.

BTW, jneutron, your input was thoroughly appreciated...

jimHJJ(...and now the "dolt" will rest awhile...)

Last edited:
J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
Resident Loser said:
BTW, jneutron, your input was thoroughly appreciated...
jimHJJ(...and now the "dolt" will rest awhile...)
You are welcome..it amazes me that people will trash or bash things based on their own personal preferences..Eventually, many learn the limits of choices in life, be it cars, stereo's, wine..even a big mac is a quality thing..not w/r to caloric or fat content, but in consistency.. My 19 year old is going through that now..he wanted to borrow one of my systems to play gigs..dj type stuff..and he wanted bigger, bigger, bigger...wanted a coupla 18's, and wanted to run vinyl....I gave him a coupla 12's with a rmx1450 and denon dn1800..after carting the 12's around for a year, he has become VERY happy with them, as the 18 cabs are a bugger to transport...(supposed to be mobile, right?) His system criteria is changing..he is maturing..

In looking at that clear acoustimass, when you know a bit about audio and acoustics, ya really gotta marvel at complexity that goes into it..two chambers, three drivers, three different ports..and capable of a rather large range of frequencies without sounding like those bandpass subs you find in cars..you know, the one note beasts you can hear (and feel) a block away.
I marvel at the thought of building 10,000 of them while keeping them consistent. Even those car bass resonators are excellent designs...major efficiency, designed to produce only one note with a group delay of about three weeks.....but not my choice..

I first heard the 901's back in '74, powered by a dynaco 400..jethro tull aqualung.....sounded amazing to me back then. But I chose eminence delta 12's with selenium d205ti's for pushing 450 seat venue's...cause my road crew is 10 and 12 years old now....and I have 20 minutes to setup two systems every sunday..

Cheers, John

M

miklorsmith

Full Audioholic
Yep

Good steam, mon. Your restraint was better than I could do a while back. Nice work.

I can understand a preference for one thing over another. Our available choices are one of the great things about living here. However, to brandish them overhead as clubs makes no sense to me.

Audio is such a personal thing. The variety of systems people gravitate toward showcases their personal values for what they hear at home. I've made some big philosophical changes in my system in the last couple years. I find the music I listen to has a lot to do with the composition of the system at the time. It is Very Hard to build a system that does everything well.

That said, beating someone over the head about their choice of equipment is nonsensical. Rather, I'd say having a system that has kept you happy for that long without the neverending upgrade plague is commendable. Enjoying your music fully and completely without taking out a second mortgage is the dream of every (sane) audiohead.

Enjoy!

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
I think a lot of enthusiasts have gone away from appreciating reflected sound variations of speakers. I too was amazed when the 901's first hit the market (couldn't have come close to affording them at the time) but a few years later, a friend purchased a pair of Ohm F's. The Ohms used the same idea of bouncing sound around the room but took it to a different level. If my room would allow for it, the Walsh speaker would be in my home today.

Mort

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Well...

Mort Corey said:
I think a lot of enthusiasts have gone away from appreciating reflected sound variations of speakers. I too was amazed when the 901's first hit the market (couldn't have come close to affording them at the time) but a few years later, a friend purchased a pair of Ohm F's. The Ohms used the same idea of bouncing sound around the room but took it to a different level. If my room would allow for it, the Walsh speaker would be in my home today.

Mort
...I was always intrigued by the concept in the Ohms, much as I was with those of the 901s...

jimHJJ(...good listening...)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis