M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Specific models for each would be the JTR Noesis 215RT and the RBH SI-831R (in-wall). These would be used for LCR behind a transparent screen.

Room size would be around 6000 cubic feet. All speakers would be powered by ATI AT54 Class D amps.

Just curious if anybody out there has experience with these specific models or similar models.

My current setup includes B&W CWM7.3's with Outlaw amp.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The JTR speakers would have a narrow dispersion pattern while the RBH speakers would have a wide dispersion pattern. Both types of dispersion have their advantages in my experience. The JTRs will have a wider dynamic range, but that won't make a difference since either speaker will have more dynamic range than you will ever need, even for a room that large. The advantage with the JTR speaker is that you can aim them, so they have a flexibility in changing the sound to your preference that in-wall speakers just don't have. However, the sound of wide dispersion speakers can't be changed that much with angle and placement changes anyway. I think you would be happy with either one.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The 215RT is a full range speaker, more sensitive, moveable and would be my preference in any case (a speaker I've admired from afar for a while). The two speakers are pretty dissimilar generally. Why just these two for consideration? Most importantly, what are your reasons for consideration of these two particularly?

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
ShadyJ thank you for your feedback. I suppose I can't go wrong with either when the time comes. I never knew about RBH until finding Audioholics awhile back. I just found out about JTR a couple months ago and have really been impressed with what I've found online about them.

My main use for said speakers are for home theater. Mainly 90% home theater and 10% music. I know that the RBH SI-831R is brand new at the of last year so nothing out on the web for reviews yet.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
The 215RT is a full range speaker, more sensitive, moveable and would be my preference in any case (a speaker I've admired from afar for a while). The two speakers are pretty dissimilar generally. Why just these two for consideration? Most importantly, what are your reasons for consideration of these two particularly?
Lovinthehd, thank you for you feedback. I'm just curious about these to for now, but I'm open to suggestions for others as well. I go back and forth all the time. Then research tons and tons of different speaker companies and products.

I'm putting together a future home theater build and looking for mainly my frontstage LCR (for now). I would like to stick with one company for all 13 speakers if I can, so I try to stick with a company that makes a wide variety of speakers. One of the home theater youtube channels I follow happen to do a review on a JTR Subwoofer recently, and that's what lead me down the JTR rabbit hole. Gene here at Audioholics opened the RBH speaker door with his reviews.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Lovinthehd, thank you for you feedback. I'm just curious about these to for now, but I'm open to suggestions for others as well. I go back and forth all the time. Then research tons and tons of different speaker companies and products.

I'm putting together a future home theater build and looking for mainly my frontstage LCR (for now). I would like to stick with one company for all 13 speakers if I can, so I try to stick with a company that makes a wide variety of speakers. One of the home theater youtube channels I follow happen to do a review on a JTR Subwoofer recently, and that's what lead me down the JTR rabbit hole. Gene here at Audioholics opened the RBH speaker door with his reviews.
They are both fantastic speaker choices and you can't go wrong with either one.

As shady said they have different types of dispersion one more direct one more wide dispersion but I've owned both types of speakers in my systems and have loved both types right now I have all JBL studio 5 in my theater room and love it.

You can't go wrong with either company and those speaker choices the like Lovin said the JTR are my dream speakers and would be my go to

However both options are awesome

I must confess I'm a little jelly of your ability to get 3 of those across your front stage what a great choice. But at the same time am happy and excited for you.

You couldn't have picked 2 better companies to go with

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
One more caveat you said you wanted to maybe have all matching speakers eventually not just the front 3 did I read that right

Maybe I'm wrong but I believe RBH has the advantage on that with a superb selection of in wall and in ceilings and on the wall choices your surrounds backs and heights

I drool over both websites every day lol but I don't see JTR having as much options for full layouts?

But I could just be missing some things and if I am please fellas feel quick to help me out and point that out

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Then again considering your room size Id maybe go all external speakers around the room anyways if I can get away with not going in wall on surrounds I will any day if that's the case it's JTR for me all day and any day

But that's just me Lol

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
ShadyJ thank you for your feedback. I suppose I can't go wrong with either when the time comes. I never knew about RBH until finding Audioholics awhile back. I just found out about JTR a couple months ago and have really been impressed with what I've found online about them.

My main use for said speakers are for home theater. Mainly 90% home theater and 10% music. I know that the RBH SI-831R is brand new at the of last year so nothing out on the web for reviews yet.
I have heard the JTR 215s on multiple occasions and have always enjoyed them. I haven't heard any of the RBH 831 series, but I have heard other products by them and have always enjoyed them. The Aurum Cantus tweeter in the RBH SV speakers may be the best AMT tweeters that money can buy. The midrange/tweeter coaxial used in the JTR is one of the best of its type as well, it's a BMS design that retails for something like $500+ alone.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Then again considering your room size Id maybe go all external speakers around the room anyways if I can get away with not going in wall on surrounds I will any day if that's the case it's JTR for me all day and any day

But that's just me Lol
Danzilla31 thank you for your feedback. Yes you are correct. RBH has a wide variety of speakers to choose from. That's what keeps me looking at them vs JTR. Though I would be fine just having JTR's for front 3 and finding complementary speakers for the reamining theater system.

My future build will be constructed to hide all speakers. Except the Atmos. So front three behind the screen, and all surround will be behind some form of transparent material.

Other than JTR, I'm really a huge fan of Bowers and Wilkins. Owning their CWM7.3 in-walls right now, their sound is phenomenal. If I were to consider different floor speakers for behind the screen, I would easily consider the Bowers and Wilkins 700 S2's.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Danzilla31 thank you for your feedback. Yes you are correct. RBH has a wide variety of speakers to choose from. That's what keeps me looking at them vs JTR. Though I would be fine just having JTR's for front 3 and finding complementary speakers for the reamining theater system.

My future build will be constructed to hide all speakers. Except the Atmos. So front three behind the screen, and all surround will be behind some form of transparent material.

Other than JTR, I'm really a huge fan of Bowers and Wilkins. Owning their CWM7.3 in-walls right now, their sound is phenomenal. If I were to consider different floor speakers for behind the screen, I would easily consider the Bowers and Wilkins 700 S2's.
I listened to the 700 S2's at my audio store about two weeks ago and was impressed

I wonder how they'd hold up though in a room that size that's a big space.

I'm partial to BIG speakers with BIG woofers huge dynamics and high efficiency.

Those are Kind off hard to find these days Its why I love JTR and RBH they build them the way I'm partial too go big or go home

For me it's not about the loudness I like overkill in my setups because I like good sound with dynamics without cranking up the volume

That kind off distortion free effortless performance though comes at a price the bigger the speakers normally in my opinion the better same goes with my subs

That's just me though but your right the 702's were impressive

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I listened to the 700 S2's at my audio store about two weeks ago and was impressed

I wonder how they'd hold up though in a room that size that's a big space.

I'm partial to BIG speakers with BIG woofers huge dynamics and high efficiency.

Those are Kind off hard to find these days Its why I love JTR and RBH they build them the way I'm partial too go big or go home

For me it's not about the loudness I like overkill in my setups because I like good sound with dynamics without cranking up the volume

That kind off distortion free effortless performance though comes at a price the bigger the speakers normally in my opinion the better same goes with my subs

That's just me though but your right the 702's were impressive
I've been reading a ton about horn speakers these last 6-8 months. Definitely have their benefits for creating that engulfing sound experience when listening to music or watching movies/show/sports. Personally, I have not listened to a horn speaker, yet. Currently, I've only been able to hit up Magnolia at Best Buy and after getting to know the online home theater industry, I'm really not at all impressed with Magnolia. They push the same products and their reps know very little or nothing at all of what else is out there. They push, Bowers and Wilkins (which is not bad), Martin Logans and Def Tech. With some other major brands sprinkled throughout. They do have a license to sell SVS products. Which is nice because i did purchase my PB16 Ultra at Best Buy and they offer the same return policy and benefits that SVS has when you order directly through them. But it's hard speaking with them regarding anything other than those products. Majority of reps I've spoken with have always talked negatively about non-Magnolia products. It just gets old.

JBL has a nice lineup of speakers, but the price for some of them are pretty darn high. I've considered the Klipsch RF-7III's. Every review I've read about those speakers has been top notch.

My dream setup would include Bowers and Wilkins Diamond speakers behind the screen and around the entire theater. But unfortunately I don't have the $200k to drop to make that happen. Haha.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have heard the JTR 215s on multiple occasions and have always enjoyed them. I haven't heard any of the RBH 831 series, but I have heard other products by them and have always enjoyed them. The Aurum Cantus tweeter in the RBH SV speakers may be the best AMT tweeters that money can buy. The midrange/tweeter coaxial used in the JTR is one of the best of its type as well, it's a BMS design that retails for something like $500+ alone.
Have you ever asked JTR for a pair of speakers for you to measure?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Have you ever asked JTR for a pair of speakers for you to measure?
No. Most of their product line is too large and heavy for me to deal with. Audioholics will be running a review of the JTR HT110s in the not-too-distant future, and I will be measuring those.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
No. Most of their product line is too large and heavy for me to deal with. Audioholics will be running a review of the JTR HT110s in the not-too-distant future, and I will be measuring those.
1580153273217.png

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've been reading a ton about horn speakers these last 6-8 months. Definitely have their benefits for creating that engulfing sound experience when listening to music or watching movies/show/sports. Personally, I have not listened to a horn speaker, yet. Currently, I've only been able to hit up Magnolia at Best Buy and after getting to know the online home theater industry, I'm really not at all impressed with Magnolia. They push the same products and their reps know very little or nothing at all of what else is out there. They push, Bowers and Wilkins (which is not bad), Martin Logans and Def Tech. With some other major brands sprinkled throughout. They do have a license to sell SVS products. Which is nice because i did purchase my PB16 Ultra at Best Buy and they offer the same return policy and benefits that SVS has when you order directly through them. But it's hard speaking with them regarding anything other than those products. Majority of reps I've spoken with have always talked negatively about non-Magnolia products. It just gets old.

JBL has a nice lineup of speakers, but the price for some of them are pretty darn high. I've considered the Klipsch RF-7III's. Every review I've read about those speakers has been top notch.

My dream setup would include Bowers and Wilkins Diamond speakers behind the screen and around the entire theater. But unfortunately I don't have the $200k to drop to make that happen. Haha.
Keep in mind not all horns are similar. I have a full set of the JBL Studio 5 series (590/580/530/520c) and like those quite a bit, especially at the sale prices I got them with, the list prices aren't so attractive. These definitely sound better than the similar Klipsch i've experienced in the past (but haven't had a chance to check out the RP series, which apparently is an improvement over the older ones I've heard). Then there are the horns like the Avant-Garde....https://www.avantgarde-acoustic.de/en/hornloudspeaker.html

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Keep in mind not all horns are similar. I have a full set of the JBL Studio 5 series (590/580/530/520c) and like those quite a bit, especially at the sale prices I got them with, the list prices aren't so attractive. These definitely sound better than the similar Klipsch i've experienced in the past (but haven't had a chance to check out the RP series, which apparently is an improvement over the older ones I've heard). Then there are the horns like the Avant-Garde....https://www.avantgarde-acoustic.de/en/hornloudspeaker.html
I doubt Avant-Garde is on the level of JBL or Klipsch, at least in term of accuracy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I doubt Avant-Garde is on the level of JBL or Klipsch, at least in term of accuracy.
LOL could be....nor anywhere near in price but can't say I've seen measurements either.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
LOL could be....nor anywhere near in price but can't say I've seen measurements either.
The waveguide geometry of the Avant-garde speakers looks pretty old-school. I have heard a selection of their models on several occasions, although I didn't listen closely enough to try to discern abnormalities. I would have been biased by my impression of their waveguide anyway. There are a few reviews with measurements, such as here, here, and here. It would appear to be a loudspeaker with a lot of 'personality'. The overall responses are not quite as skewed as I would have guessed, in that it roughly adheres to a base line response, but as you would expect from that kind of horn design, there is lots of diffraction occurring in treble frequencies.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Yeah that's my next step for mine is to do an acoustically transperent build first around the front 3 and then around the surrounds and back surrounds when I do that I'm going all towers in my base 7

800 series all the way around would be SIC!!!! but yeah 200k yeah I agree besides who'd want to hide those beautiful beasts!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis