Joys of single life

H

HeavyD8086

Enthusiast
Well here's mine. Got a new set of Paradigm Monitor 7s the other day.

Been enjoying the single life lately, which means I can do whatever I want to with my house. You'll notice a dirty cement block under my sub the I didn't even bother to clean. You'll also notice the VERY ugly L-brackets I'm using to mount my surround speakers.

Unfortunately, the location of my back door forces me to mount my surrounds on the ceiling.

I just moved out of a concrete apartment (killed my knees, but bass was great). When I moved into this joint, bass responce was horrible. I bought a couple square feet of carpet and placed a cement block under my sub. Sounds much better now.

I've got my monitors bi-wired (snake oil, I know), but I got my high range inputs plugged into my sub's out, while the low range is coming directly from my amp. Is this a good idea, or am I screwing with the impedence?

My rig:

Paradigm Monitor 7 v4
Paradigm CC-170
Omage BBF-212 Sub
Sony SS-MB215 for surrounds
Yamaha RX-V440

All of my music and movies come from my XBox toslink. Is this bad? You think a dedicated DVD or CD player sound any better?

Cheers.

Oh yeah, don't worry about the computer desk there. I'm moving it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
RXV 440 power

how does the RXV handle powering those speakers? I have one and I want to up grade to better towers but don't know how it can handle the extra loads.

sweet system,
sheep

H

HeavyD8086

Enthusiast
AFAIK, they power them fine. Listened to a couple DVD-As (Steely Dan - Everything Must Go) and the new NiN - With Teeth album mostly and they're a lot better than my old heavily-modified technics.

Although, I'm not sure I've ever heard a really GOOD system before, so I've got no point of reference. My amp will definitely be my next upgrade, though.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

The Iron Maiden tapestry just makes the decor! :D Yes, 'Maiden kicks arse bigtime!

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I personally like the readily available duct tape ready for any emergency or cable issues. If at first you don't succeed duc(t) it!

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Since I too live the Bachelor Life, my living room has all the windows thoroughly blacked-out for HT use. :D I've also masked the PJ screen wall in black, and added very dark velour drapery. Perhaps I'd have a bit lower WAF than the rig shown above, since it leaves the room as dark as a cave, but I luckily have no wife to appease. :)

H

HeavyD8086

Enthusiast
What about that biwiring set-up (coming from the sub passthough and amp).
You think buying a real CD player will increase my sound quality?

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I got some cords duct taped to the back wall.

H

HeavyD8086

Enthusiast
Scratch off the CC-170

Just got a CC-370 for my center. Gonna mount my old CC-170 in the rear. Unfortunately, the only place to put it is directly above my sitting position. Should I face it towards the center of my room, or have it firing downwards?

My Monitor 7s are coming along nicely. They seemed a little harsh and fatiging (sp?) at first, but they're sounding better now.

I'm starting to seriously doubt the ability of my RX-V440 to power these guys, though. Gonna have to start saving for the Yamaha 2500 I guess. :rolleyes:

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
I have been married for 9 years now. Our old house was smaller and the living room served as the HT room as well. It was awful. Now we have a slightly larger house and my wife has control of every room in the house except the HT room. The WAF can really kill a HT setup sometimes. I am so glad I am no longer bound to rules in the wife's living room. I have managed to sneak a 53" TV and a pair or Cerwin Vega AT-15s in her living room. I think she's getting soft. Your room looks good. I like the speakers without the grills. I'd suggest turning your door around so it opens the other way and lowering those surrounds. It would probably help the sound of your system quite a bit. Hell, if you live there alone just take the door off and put it somewhere until you can get around to doing something with it. Nobody's gonna nag you about it.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
How great is it to be a bachelor? The speaker cords hanging from the walls are sweet. The slab looks mean. Nice system.

Even without the chick, why not get a nice set of stands for the monster surrounds (24" to 30"), and move your couch halfway between the door and rear wall. Face them directly at the couch. I guess you'd need a coffee table then. (I'm starting to cost you money - sorry) You are really missing out on the surround sound with those gems up so high. Personally, you can use a larger room, but it never hurts to buy bigger and better right now. That set up would fill a 18' x 32' room without breaking a sweat.

C

Catdaddy

Junior Audioholic
Looks very nice and neat, man. I love the way it looks against that wood floor, too. Definitely stay single, have kids .. but stay single. :)

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Love the setup. Maybe you might just go for external amps, unless you're looking for an excuse to get the 2500, then heck, why not?

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
I Like the set up its good to be single....anyways, I was curious as to the monitor 7's on the stands were they just not tall enough for imaging during movies and how stable are they up there, the reason I'm asking is that those are the mains im looking to get

H

HeavyD8086

Enthusiast
Those Monitors are fairly stable on the stands. I trust my 20lb dog walking around there. I have them on the stands because I didn't want them so far below my center, there'd be a couple feet difference if they were on the floor. To be honest, I've never tried them on the floor.

Yeah, I thought about buying a stereo amp, but I really want a Yamaha 2500. I can get one down the road for about 1K$ Cdn. Gonna have to wait a bit before that happens, though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis