John C Koss Sr has passed

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I just saw this a few minutes ago- like their headphones or not, he did change the way music is listened to.

My dad and John Sr met at Boy's Tech high school. They had remained in contact after school and when he was about to introduce one of his new models (early-'60s, IIRC) after the die-cut foam earpads, he had my dad (who was an upholsterer) make the covers for enough sets to take to the big audio show in either Chicago or New York. Our families spent a good amount of time together over the years, too- I was in 1st Grade with John Jr, my older brother was in the same class as Michael, who has been the company President since their dad stepped back. We were also in the YMCA Indian Guides together and the group would be hosted by each family throughout the year. The first time we went to their house, all of the kids were going nuts, not paying attention and generally, being a huge nuisance. John Sr went into a closet, brought out enough headphones for each of us and plugged them in. He had his wife bring out a cart with a bowl of ice cream for each kid and as that came out, he started to play the film reel for Fantasia. As soon as it began, all anyone would have seen was 20 kids with their mouths wide open.

RIP, John Koss

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
RIP indeed Mr. Kloss. A true legend in the industry. Thanks for sharing highfigh.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Great story Highfive. Thanks for sharing. Porta Pros were one of favs.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Great story Highfive. Thanks for sharing. Porta Pros were one of favs.
I still have a pair and I needed to use their lifetime warranty because I put them on after stowing my Walkman in the saddle bag of my bicycle one day. I was still working at the stereo store and went there to borrow a set of phones so I could finish my ride. When I reached the counter, Michael Koss was standing there.

Also, John Koss had started a business before headphones. When Nancy was pregnant with Michael and bored out of her mind as she waited in the hospital, John took a TV and put it in her room. Other patients asked where they could get one and that was the start of his hospital TV rental company.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry to hear

The first speakers I built were strongly inspired by Koss M-100

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis