DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic
Ok I have had a lot of free time and have been digging for a MTM build and I found one I like a lot with Jeff Bagby's name on it . From what I have read there is no other greater than this guy in the DIY world .. Have anyone of you guys built any of his stuff ?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
There are a few greats in DIY. That fuzz kid built his stuff fo sho. If he doesn't chime in here, I'll go get him. Let me see,
@fuzz092888, is that how the smart guys do it?

No, that's not how the smart guys do it.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Ok I have had a lot of free time and have been digging for a MTM build and I found one I like a lot with Jeff Bagby's name on it . From what I have read there is no other greater than this guy in the DIY world .. Have anyone of you guys built any of his stuff ?
Thanks @Alex2507 lol

I've built a bunch of kits from different designers. I would say, it's hard to say there's no greater guy, but that's just because there are a ton of great DIY guys in this community who design and build great stuff and are willing to share their knowledge. Without question, Jeff is extremely talented as a designer and extraordinarily generous with his time and advice.

For Jeff specifically, I've built his Mandolin kit and a Testarossa kit. The Mandolins are a reasonably priced bookshelf and the Testarossas are small floorstanders that lean more towards a premium build, at least in terms of components used. I've enjoyed both immensely and would not hesitate to recommend or build a Bagby kit.

Which kit are you looking at?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I built the Bagby designed Fusion-12 Tempests from diysoundgroup.com. I have them paired with a Nelson Pass DIY (amp camp) amplifier and they are something I will keep forever. They are playing now as I type this. These speakers are what some might consider, laid back, but they are sleepers. They will kick everything in the neighborhood's ass, when pushed. They can run me out of this room with the Pass amps, using about half of the 8 watts they make.

Also built Bagby's Continuum kit and this has to be hands down, my favorite speaker. They make you smile when you listen to them. I have the older kit with the RS28A-4 tweeter. When I fled hurricane Irma, the drivers and crossovers for the Continuum kit came with me. Knowing I could kickstart a quality audio system based on these speakers, had I come back to a leveled or flooded home. Honestly, for the music only system, the music I listen to, I could use the Continuums (with a good hi-fi sub) for the rest of my days.

DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic
Thanks @Alex2507 lol

I've built a bunch of kits from different designers. I would say, it's hard to say there's no greater guy, but that's just because there are a ton of great DIY guys in this community who design and build great stuff and are willing to share their knowledge. Without question, Jeff is extremely talented as a designer and extraordinarily generous with his time and advice.

For Jeff specifically, I've built his Mandolin kit and a Testarossa kit. The Mandolins are a reasonably priced bookshelf and the Testarossas are small floorstanders that lean more towards a premium build, at least in terms of components used. I've enjoyed both immensely and would not hesitate to recommend or build a Bagby kit.

Which kit are you looking at?
The Helix Ribbon MTM kit from DIY Sound Group.. Jeff Bagby is reworking the cross over design and I can wait until he is done and happy with it. It is not back for sale on the web page yet .. 7" mids and a Fountek ribbon tweeter

DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic
I built the Bagby designed Fusion-12 Tempests from diysoundgroup.com. I have them paired with a Nelson Pass DIY (amp camp) amplifier and they are something I will keep forever. They are playing now as I type this. These speakers are what some might consider, laid back, but they are sleepers. They will kick everything in the neighborhood's ass, when pushed. They can run me out of this room with the Pass amps, using about half of the 8 watts they make.

Also built Bagby's Continuum kit and this has to be hands down, my favorite speaker. They make you smile when you listen to them. I have the older kit with the RS28A-4 tweeter. When I fled hurricane Irma, the drivers and crossovers for the Continuum kit came with me. Knowing I could kickstart a quality audio system based on these speakers, had I come back to a leveled or flooded home. Honestly, for the music only system, the music I listen to, I could use the Continuums (with a good hi-fi sub) for the rest of my days.
This Kit The Denovo Audio Helix Ribbon MTM will be for Stereo music only powered by an old Carver that just wont die. and will be playing records only . Thank's for all the positive feed back

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
The Helix Ribbon MTM kit from DIY Sound Group.. Jeff Bagby is reworking the cross over design and I can wait until he is done and happy with it. It is not back for sale on the web page yet .. 7" mids and a Fountek ribbon tweeter
Nice, I don't know much about that particular kit. However, with Jeff you'll get a few known quantities in almost all of his designs. Smooth, flat frequency response and a lot of attention to detail in the design and component selection.

One of Jeff's designs I've been lusting after is the Maximus-12 from DIYsoundgroup, but that's a little larger and pricier than the the MTM you picked out ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis