JBL Sub150 Compatibility? Quality?

Aburtch

Aburtch

Audioholic Intern
Greetings,

I was just gifted an older model JBL Sub150. I've attached a photo of the inputs on the back.

Two questions:

1. Is this sub good for music? What's the reputation of this sub? Is this just a cheap model, or is JBL quality even though it's probably and old lower-end model?

2. The inputs / outputs on the back are analogue (see attached photo). All the new subs have a single digital input. Would this be compatible with a newer receiver? I don't have the receiver yet that I'm going to use, I'm going to upgrade when I move. Most likely a new Yamaha receiver. Would this sub even work or connect with a new receiver?

Worth keeping this sub, or is it better as a doorstop. Thanks very much for your help. I'm a newbie when it comes to subs.

JBL Sub150.JPG

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
1) Try it and see how it sounds to you. For what you paid for it, you really can't complain..

2) I'm not aware of ANY sub with digital inputs.

3) Yes, this sub will connect to any receiver with a sub/LFE input. Just use one of the RCA inputs or, if it makes you feel better, get a"Y" splitter so that one sub output feeds both RCA iputs.

Aburtch

Aburtch

Audioholic Intern
@markw Thanks for the response. I must have gotten confused thinking the speaker wire style inputs were analogue and the RCA inputs were digital.

So I take it the LFE RCA input on here is analogue and the same as what I see on all the new subs.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The sub would be best suited for smaller rooms. Try to place in the corner. It would probably be ok to compliment smaller speakers for music, but obviously it's a budget model.
Try it yourself and see

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis