JBL Studio 698! I just had to do it fellas!!!

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I have always been little leary of horns, but your description in terms of audio performance gives me peace of mind. I have always read that horns produce a focused "calling" sound when producing vocals or various acoustic instruments.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Just wakin up after a brutal shift at the hospital. 4 days off tho!!!!

Started out the morning to some relaxing music on JBL 698's!!!!! What a way to start the day :)

Started out with some

Jami Sieber from the album Timeless track Jewels in Indra's Web

And then some Groove Armada from the album Goodbye Country(Hello NightClub) track is called Edge Hill. What a way to start my first day off

Clarity Clarity Clarity is what stands out to me with these speakers. Detail. All 3 ranges. Bass tight but dynamic very very detailed. Midrange superb. Highs smooth silky smooth yet very very detailed. I never get tired of a good compression driver. Placement of instruments and Soundstage all outstanding. I'm not even in the sweet spot on the bed and I'm getting all this

And this without adjusting placement they are still toed out plunked down in the spot I dropped them in before work. I can wait to play with placement and toe in

I feel like they combine the best of both speakers I just listened to the golden ears Triton 3 and the Monolith Encore T6. More feedback later guys

A

audiogod66

Audiophyte
$3600 a pair in Australia! 698 I doubt is worth that . JBL and Revel are a total rip-off in Australia.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I will be back this afternoon with more thoughts I had a LOOONG session with these last night and have a lot to say.

I'm running late because of that tho! :D

I need to spend some time with friends and family but I'll be back on here this evening!

I will say this tho. I'm very very impressed with these speakers can't wait to tell you guys why!

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I'll bet they will also give the Revel F208's a good run for the money in sonics as well.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I'll bet they will also give the Revel F208's a good run for the money in sonics as well.
Man I've never had the chance to hear them so I wouldn't be able to compare. The Revel is supposed to be one hell of a speaker it would be an interesting comparison.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay so yesterday I kept the speakers toed out. They are 8 feet apart. Pointed straight out. I did get more serious about being in the measured best listening spot. This is what I found.

Toed out even with incorrect distance on the triangle the JBL 698 put out the BEST phantom center channel I've ever heard at this price point. Period. The Soundstage was phenomenal. It was wide and was all across the front of the room with sounds extending beyond the edge and to the right and left of my position. The stage had perfect lift centered about 2 feet above the speakers. It was in the room but not forward or recessed it felt like instruments and the band and the vocals were just above the speakers in the room. I don't know what they put in the wave guides but JBL just knocks it our of the park.

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Imaging was like a laser just spot on. Vocals were just dead straight center over the screen. Instruments and sounds would just float in the room placed around the vocals to the left to the right sometimes almost outside of the front stage it seemed like. The clarity while all this was going on was incredible. While the instruments or bass would be playing the midrange going all around the vocals or emphasized instrument would take center clear as a bell with no muddying or bloating of mids bass or highs. Everything was integrated clean clear as a bell. Clarity is something that comes to mind over and over again with these speakers everything was so clean and clear. I've heard more expensive speakers do it but not usually at this price point. The sound never felt like it was coming from the boxes that Soundstage and imaging was out into the room

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Vocals OH MY GOD vocals are what these speakers do so so so well. The 590's shined with this too but not to the level I heard. I remember Female vocals at a certain range with altos were a weak.spot for the 590 like Annica in Ursine Vulpines Wicked Game or Maria Brinkley in In this Moment. Oh sh$t let me tell you not anymore 698's they managed to fix all that. Vocals were so lifelike and clean so clear every breath intake every gasp every rasp and they had perfect weight and dynamics without ever getting strained sibilant or honky even at higher volumes. I remember for instance A Perfect Circle The Package. At the end when Maynard was whispering that whisper was out in the room so present with every little detail that most lesser speakers would miss. It was like Maynard was there whispering to me in the center of the screen on that front wall

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The midrange was so clear. Once again that word clarity clarity clarity. No smiley curve no brightness just neutral and very very clear. Like with the Golden Ear triton 3+s I was hearing details in music I'd miss on some lesser speakers but it had the weight and tonal balance the meat to it that the Encore T6 had it was the best of both worlds.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The bass was powerful punchy tight very detailed I did feel it didn't quiet extend as deep as the Encore T6 I don't think JBL was going for that rolloff in the room. They were emphasizing more the midbass going for that slam. Gunshots explosions kickdrums snare drums they gave up.some deep extension for more power and output in that 30hz and on up range.

You won't need a sub for music but these would benefit from a sub with movies for that deep bass that infrasonic bass. A 60 hz crossover I suspect would be just right. Don't get me wrong in movies they put out thar bass just not the deepest parts of the frequency range

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The highs cymbals on drums usually with lower priced speakers this is an issue especially when played at higher volumes. Not so with these. They were smooth with a lot of air. The mids and highs are where the 698 truly separates itself from the 590's. Just so much clearer smoother with less distortion at higher volume then tge 590 could do. No sibilance no sibilant s's none whatsoever.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
When I listen to a good speaker I'll be like man these sound good or man these are awesome.

It's been a long time where I'll listen to a speaker and go holy Fu$%in Sh@#,t at the end of a song or after certain passages in songs. I was doing it over and over with the 698's. Constantly I would hear something and just be like Holy F#%ckin Sh#$^t. I did that over and over again last night

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
They are sensitive as sensitive as the golden ear triton 3. It does not take much on the volume knob to get these to get loud

The dynamics with the 698 were just insane easily matching and at times exceeding the triton 3's with they're powered sub section.

Resolution so good everything so clear another strength this speaker does well just like vocals these shine in this area. Everything was so clear.

Soundstage imaging never heard better at this price point.

Nothing can come close to matching these at they're regular price and if JBL starts doing sales like they did with the 590's and studio 5 line? Man nothing will beat them period at those price points NOTHING

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So last night was toed out tonight I'll toe in and see which way I prefer. Also try widening they're distance and expirement with them being toed in on axis direct and with less toe in until I see if this can improve what we're already excellent results from last night

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
That sounds amazing. I wonder if you ever get to a point where you would say something rivals your RBHs at a much lower price point. Sounds like these are an amazing option!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis