JBL Studio 698! I just had to do it fellas!!!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
So I've learned to at least try to tackle these negative events with happiness and a calm yet assertive attitude. To stay in a place of happiness in my life. Because I've found that once a situation has passed none of the anger or energy I've exerted will have done a darn thing to change it or prevent it from happening or alter the course of events to rectify it. But it takes so much more effort to shake that anger and negative energy off and get back to a place of happiness which is where I truly want to be.
Words to live by.

Good luck with the speakers. Who knows? Here's hoping they actually work, surviving their ordeal, at least functionally surviving.

Just maybe … JBL/Harmon Intl. might be glad to know how rugged their speakers are.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Ok so quick update I contacted Crutchfield as many of you guys said they are wonderful with there customer service

They received the pictures. They are sending me out a new speaker.

It will take a few days because I requested that this one be doubled boxed and sent on a crate. Which they are willing to do for no extra charge.

Unfortunately these must be selling because the only one they had left in stock was an open box in new condition. They have no new ones left. They will of course not sell that to me at full price I will get a deduction from my order.

When the new one arrives I can ship back the damaged one they will set it up where UPS will pick it up from my doorstep. I don't have to do anything else at that point.

I may and they are agreeable to this if I decide to run 3 towers in the bedroom again keep it if it's functional. For a much reduced price. To be negotiated. But we are taking things one step at a time we will see.

I have to run a few errands then I will be back to see if these speakers both work. If they do my friend is coming by we will switch test them with the Encore T6 most of the afternoon and let you guys know which ones we like the most

Talk to you guys this afternoon

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
One last thing I think we can all agree shipping quality has gone down the last few years. I would like to suggest especially with new members to audio who might be following this thread to have your speakers double boxed if the company allows it. Crutchfield told me they are willing to do this usually at no extra charge
Just an idea guys can't hurt to ask them

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay these JBL 698 are BAD A$$
I'll need more listening to give you my final thoughts

But

They smoke everything I've heard at this price point and they punch way above there price point.

They crush the golden ears
They crush the Monolith Encore T6 a great speaker by the way not its fault The 698 cost more and have better components

They are not leaving my bedroom. I'm getting buried with both these and my RBH speakers

And they did all this without any toe in or adjustements I plunked them down where the Encore were level matched them have them toed out and they just kicked a$$ man.

Like the 590 they center lock a phantom center image better then anything other then my RBH

But the imaging placement and Soundstage just wow. Clarity detail the bass is just next friggin level. So detailed man. Clarity detail separation accuracy all so so good

The treble so smooth and detailed no horn shouty cuppy sound whatsoever. Now it's been a while but from what I remember they sound better then the 590's in the high end especially in the midrange

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
These speakers are now back on my want list.

After that horrible UPS tornado that hit this thread, I wasn't so sure.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Ok here's the problem Dan, you now have 2 setups that you wouldn't want to replace. Soo we need to figure out how you are going to satisfy your addiction to new speakers. Any other setups in the house? Kitchen, bathroom? This is where I'm at right now and I'm still trying to find reasons to buy new ones :)

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Okay these JBL 698 are BAD A$$
I'll need more listening to give you my final thoughts

But

They smoke everything I've heard at this price point and they punch way above there price point.

They crush the golden ears
They crush the Monolith Encore T6 a great speaker by the way not its fault The 698 cost more and have better components

They are not leaving my bedroom. I'm getting buried with both these and my RBH speakers

And they did all this without any toe in or adjustements I plunked them down where the Encore were level matched them have them toed out and they just kicked a$$ man.

Like the 590 they center lock a phantom center image better then anything other then my RBH

But the imaging placement and Soundstage just wow. Clarity detail the bass is just next friggin level. So detailed man. Clarity detail separation accuracy all so so good

The treble so smooth and detailed no horn shouty cuppy sound whatsoever. Now it's been a while but from what I remember they sound better then the 590's in the high end especially in the midrange
I find the imaging with all the JBL waveguide (even the earlier, more subtle implementations from a couple decades ago) types to be otherwise inescapable. The smoother high end is perhaps the most compelling reason for my own following of this brand over the years. Especially these days, where so many top sellers end up being a little too splashy in room. I believe it's in part, the reason so many people end up going all-in with acoustic treatments and dsp, trying to tame this very thing, along with overly compressed content that includes so much forward (and potentially 'boomy') sub bass.

Considering also that JBL manages to typically build in respectable balance of higher sensitivity vs. respectable bass performance/power handling and full-range capabilities, they end up ticking most boxes for me in a world that has way too many designs to choose from these days. I end up being able to predict more from the measurements what just about any consumer level JBL speaker will sound like, compared to so many other brands that seemingly don't know who they want to be when they grow up yet.

Glad to hear it's working out for you. If I didn't already have too many speakers, I would consider these.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I've never heard these. I have a lesser pair of JBL floorstanding speakers in my exercise room and they do a good job keeping me entertained while I grunt and groan. This looks like a top of the line model. It will be interesting to read what you think.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I've never heard these. I have a lesser pair of JBL floorstanding speakers in my exercise room and they do a good job keeping me entertained while I grunt and groan. This looks like a top of the line model. It will be interesting to read what you think.
I have to go into work today I have a 3 day shift I had hoped to give you guys more insight these were supposed to have arrived earlier. But due to the shipping fiasco that had occurred earlier in this thread I was unable to do so. I've been crushing overtime and need a break. So I'll have this entire weekend to really give these a lot of sessions and will get back to you guys when I've done so

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Ok here's the problem Dan, you now have 2 setups that you wouldn't want to replace. Soo we need to figure out how you are going to satisfy your addiction to new speakers. Any other setups in the house? Kitchen, bathroom? This is where I'm at right now and I'm still trying to find reasons to buy new ones :)
My next step is speakers in the bathtub :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
These speakers are now back on my want list.

After that horrible UPS tornado that hit this thread, I wasn't so sure.
The nice thing about Crutchfield is they told me they will double box for free. I think one good lesson we learned from my experience in this thread is that due to some downhill performance in shipping everybody probably should be double boxing there speakers and other sensitive audio equipment from now on

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
That shift sounds like when I used to do block shifts in group homes.....thank god I only do one sleep shift a week now since I retired !
Yes its 8 hours on tonight then back to back 16's it works better in psychiatric care. Having 4 days to decompress is very helpful. But if I do need to hit OT I can hit up to 20 hours extra and still get 2 to 3 days off each week if I do it right. I need a break so the next week I'm taking all 4 days off.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Words to live by.

Good luck with the speakers. Who knows? Here's hoping they actually work, surviving their ordeal, at least functionally surviving.

Just maybe … JBL/Harmon Intl. might be glad to know how rugged their speakers are.
Somehow they both survived they are completely functional. Lesson learned double boxing on all future audio purchases is now my new standard!

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Yes its 8 hours on tonight then back to back 16's it works better in psychiatric care. Having 4 days to decompress is very helpful. But if I do need to hit OT I can hit up to 20 hours extra and still get 2 to 3 days off each week if I do it right. I need a break so the next week I'm taking all 4 days off.
When i first started in that business 23 years ago there was one week I put in 112 hours....I always tell anyone that's looking for a job if they really want one, those companies are always hiring.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
That's a sexy speaker right there!
The pictures I've posted in this thread do not do it justice. Period. They really hit the nail on the head JBL did with a balance between performance with these and size and aesthetics.

They look so good in person. They are big big speakers but the finish this dark wood finish really looks good and the curves on these including how the drivers are sunk into the wood and curved around looks so so impressive.

One of the best looking horn loaded speakers I've seen in a long long time if not ever. I'm sure the HDI series takes it a step further but for the price your getting a very high performing and good looking tower speaker all at a very nice price

O

olddudeaudio

Audiophyte
I have been drooling over these since they were released in Japan! Crutchfield had the black wood version in stock and since I've been playing with the Monoprice Encore T6 and the Triton 3+ and in a couple weeks Im putting those Triton 3's on sale. I figured why the heck not!

They should be arriving by Thursday or Friday. I'll give you guys a whole review of em and I'll put them up against those goldenear 3+ and Monolith Encore T6's to see how they stack up!!!

I can't wait this should be a lot of fun!!!
Nice! I asked if and/ or when these would be available on the JBL Direct site and was answered with "we cannot answer this question at this time" or something like that. Reason being the 590's are regularly on sale for 50 or even 60% off so logically if these were to be offered on JBL Direct then similar sales should happen. Time will tell.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis