JBL Studio 590s $499 free ship plus $30 gift card

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
sunovabitch I want to get my grubby hands on those bad boys...
I wonder shady what putting a midrange driver in a horn loaded speaker brings to the table? I'm just curious wanting to learn

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I wonder shady what putting a midrange driver in a horn loaded speaker brings to the table? I'm just curious wanting to learn
It can do a lot of things. It's no different than putting a midrange driver in any other speaker. While a horn can allow you to lower the crossover frequency on a tweeter, using a midrange can still get you better directivity control. It can allow better directivity matching between the tweeter and woofer. It also can give you greater dynamic range. It can make it easier to implement a better crossover if the woofers aren't great at playing higher frequencies. Now I don't know for sure that this JBL speaker does do all of that, but I am hoping.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Wow, those 698s look amazing. If ever I were to want to try a horn-loaded speaker... that might be it. Well... JTR Noesis 215RTs aside. :p But at less than half the cost, I expect... ;)

BTW: Harman is owned by Samsung?!?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
It can do a lot of things. It's no different than putting a midrange driver in any other speaker. While a horn can allow you to lower the crossover frequency on a tweeter, using a midrange can still get you better directivity control. It can allow better directivity matching between the tweeter and woofer. It also can give you greater dynamic range. It can make it easier to implement a better crossover if the woofers aren't great at playing higher frequencies. Now I don't know for sure that this JBL speaker does do all of that, but I am hoping.
One can dream!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Wow, those 698s look amazing. If ever I were to want to try a horn-loaded speaker... that might be it. Well... JTR Noesis 215RTs aside. :p But at less than half the cost, I expect... ;)

BTW: Harman is owned by Samsung?!?
I like them but hopefully they come in black a speaker like that would just look badass in black

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I like them but hopefully they come in black a speaker like that would just look badass in black
Somebody on that other site said they are being released in China in Black. I don't have any fancy "natural" colored wood furniture. (Blue wood, yes. :p ) But those look so much more elegant. Almost reminding me of some of the upper end PSB Imagines. (Almost.)

B

bigkrazy155

Audioholic
I know it's been well covered, but holy hell these things are huge!!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I know it's been well covered, but holy hell these things are huge!!
LOL!
Yeah! Right?
Like I said, the 580's are about what you expect out of a good 6-1/2" tower size-wise ... and this image of the 580 between two 590's makes the 580 look like some kind of toy HTiB speaker!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The new 698s are 11.8" x 15.75" x 41.65"
These will be smaller than the 590s... a little bit smaller. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis