JBL Studio 580 vs 590 for Front speakers

R

Ragz

Enthusiast
Hi. I am setting up HomeTheatre with dimensions 14’x20’. Could you please suggest if i have to opt for JBL Studio 580 or JBL Studio 590. I heard that 590 produces more bass compared to 580 and the remaining music is same, but additional sub can be added to 580s if more bass is needed. I am a serious movie watcher and prefer clear vocals and balanced sound and don’t want bass to dominate. I am planning to buy JBL 520c for center channel. Please advise. Thanks in advance.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hi. I am setting up HomeTheatre with dimensions 14’x20’. Could you please suggest if i have to opt for JBL Studio 580 or JBL Studio 590. I heard that 590 produces more bass compared to 580 and the remaining music is same, but additional sub can be added to 580s if more bass is needed. I am a serious movie watcher and prefer clear vocals and balanced sound and don’t want bass to dominate. I am planning to buy JBL 520c for center channel. Please advise. Thanks in advance.
I doubt there will be a big difference between the two. The 590s should have a slight edge in dynamic range within the woofer's bandwidth. I doubt you will ever push the speaker hard enough where that difference comes into play.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Agree with Shady...
Of course, since you seem to be ready to buy, you should be mindful of the sales they run and act accordingly. :) Sometimes it seems they put the 580 or the 590 on sale, not always both. Sit tight and be patient! ;)

R

Ragz

Enthusiast
I doubt there will be a big difference between the two. The 590s should have a slight edge in dynamic range within the woofer's bandwidth. I doubt you will ever push the speaker hard enough where that difference comes into play.
Thank you

R

Ragz

Enthusiast
Agree with Shady...
Of course, since you seem to be ready to buy, you should be mindful of the sales they run and act accordingly. :) Sometimes it seems they put the 580 or the 590 on sale, not always both. Sit tight and be patient! ;)
Thank You

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I use the 590s as mains, 580s as surrounds. I've not tried the 580s as mains as I had the 590s first. I'd agree they're fairly similar, altho the 590 is just a bit more capable and a bit higher sensitivity, altho the 590 physically is significantly larger, too. I wouldn't use the 590s or 580s without subs, though; they don't dig all that deep (f6 is 35 hz on the 590 vs 40 for the 580). One thing is that at the time I bought my 590s, they were $900/pair delivered while the 580s weren't being discounted at all at $1600/pr....I did eventually pickup the 580s on a sale for $518/pr. These sales come up a few times a year it seems. What is the pricing you're looking at?

R

Ragz

Enthusiast
I use the 590s as mains, 580s as surrounds. I've not tried the 580s as mains as I had the 590s first. I'd agree they're fairly similar, altho the 590 is just a bit more capable and a bit higher sensitivity, altho the 590 physically is significantly larger, too. I wouldn't use the 590s or 580s without subs, though; they don't dig all that deep (f6 is 35 hz on the 590 vs 40 for the 580). One thing is that at the time I bought my 590s, they were $900/pair delivered while the 580s weren't being discounted at all at $1600/pr....I did eventually pickup the 580s on a sale for $518/pr. These sales come up a few times a year it seems. What is the pricing you're looking at?
Definitely i would add Subs. I have budgeted 1000+ or - for fronts and center.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Definitely i would add Subs. I have budgeted 1000+ or - for fronts and center.
I have the 590's in my theater room the 580's in my bedroom In a room your size the 580's will work fine paired with good subs

The 590's go on sale it seems more often then the 580 but the 580 do as well if ones on sale it's a no brainer get the one on sale

You really can't go wrong either way just pick the one on sale they will both kick ass in that room size

R

Ragz

Enthusiast
I have the 590's in my theater room the 580's in my bedroom In a room your size the 580's will work fine paired with good subs

The 590's go on sale it seems more often then the 580 but the 580 do as well if ones on sale it's a no brainer get the one on sale

You really can't go wrong either way just pick the one on sale they will both kick ass in that room size
Thank you. Will wait for the sale. Any thoughts about refurbished stuff?

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
JBL is back on sale at the Harmon site. 590, 580, 530 are all on sale from 50% to 63% off

https://www.harmanaudio.com/home-audio/STUDIO+580.html?cgid=home-audio&dwvar_STUDIO 580_color=Black-USA-Current#start=1

https://www.harmanaudio.com/loudspeakers/STUDIO+590.html?dwvar_STUDIO 590_color=Black-USA-Support

Last edited:
R

Ragz

Enthusiast
JBL is back on sale at the Harmon site. 590, 580, 530 are all on sale from 50% to 63% off

https://www.harmanaudio.com/home-audio/STUDIO+580.html?cgid=home-audio&dwvar_STUDIO 580_color=Black-USA-Current#start=1

https://www.harmanaudio.com/loudspeakers/STUDIO+590.html?dwvar_STUDIO 590_color=Black-USA-Support

Thank you very much

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis