JBL Studio 530. Available and half price! ($299.95)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I agree. Harman makes some fine drivers that perform well for their price-point, but they do not spend much on trying to make them pretty. I think this is a mistake, because "pride of ownership" is important and "looking the part" definitely assists in sales!
You can't really tell it, but in the photo of the Studio 5 series - the 590 where the grill is removed, has a snap in plastic insert to replace the bottom horn surface made up by the grill.
But the good news is that while, for most speakers, the grill screws up the FR, that happens primarily at the upper frequencies. In the case of these speakers there is never grill over the tweeter, so these are better suited for using the grills!
I'm still trying to figure out how much I like the look! However, someone here made the astute observation that they reminded him of a muscle car from the '80s, and that perspective makes them work pretty well, especially in the larger size!
Ahhh I wonder who that fella could be! Some crazed audioholic no doubt! Lol.

Oh I caved and bought for 530's for sale today

And if the 590's hadn't sold out like hotcakes I would have bought 4 more for my ceiling as someone already astutely pointed out! :p

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I
I like the way they look with the grilles on. Not so much off. I sometimes look at the 590/530s as "the ones that got away" after I purchased all my Ultras and these kept popping up on sale. I also made the same observation about the grilles not having an effect on sq since they don't cover the horns or tweeters.

Me too! Specifically the Batmobile, right? I read a review of my Ultra towers where the reviewer said that they'd "look right at home in the Batcave". The Ultras are pretty imposing speakers also.
I tell you what it's cool to see the studio 5 lineup start to get the recognition I think they deserve. Those 590's sold out faaaassssttt so obviously at least hopefully people are catching on.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I like the way they look with the grilles on. Not so much off. I sometimes look at the 590/530s as "the ones that got away" after I purchased all my Ultras and these kept popping up on sale. I also made the same observation about the grilles not having an effect on sq since they don't cover the horns or tweeters.

Me too! Specifically the Batmobile, right? I read a review of my Ultra towers where the reviewer said that they'd "look right at home in the Batcave". The Ultras are pretty imposing speakers also.
Honestly If the 590's hadn't been on sale I'd have gone with the ultra's the new theater room is so open along that front wall they had plenty of room to breathe like many have noticed they needed

But the JBL's were on sale for 500 and I just couldn't turn that down and now I'm in love with them and could never let them go

Otherwise I guarantee you I'd be singing the ultra towers praises right now

M

MTSound

Audioholic Intern
Honestly If the 590's hadn't been on sale I'd have gone with the ultra's the new theater room is so open along that front wall they had plenty of room to breathe like many have noticed they needed

But the JBL's were on sale for 500 and I just couldn't turn that down and now I'm in love with them and could never let them go

Otherwise I guarantee you I'd be singing the ultra towers praises right now
I’m excited. My second choice was the emotivas based on reviews but I have previous with jbl equipment for live music so that plays a factor too

I will also add that they look awesome and there is no doubt when someone looks at them as to what their purpose is

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I’m excited. My second choice was the emotivas based on reviews but I have previous with jbl equipment for live music so that plays a factor too

I will also add that they look awesome and there is no doubt when someone looks at them as to what their purpose is

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That was a super cool way to describe them I love the way mine look as well

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
So what's the consensus on this design being considered s horn loaded bass driver? Was watching a YouTube vid where the guy was pointing out the time aligned drivers, but also mentioning the bass driver was recessed in a concave recess that functions like a mid/bass horn?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So what's the consensus on this design being considered s horn loaded bass driver? Was watching a YouTube vid where the guy was pointing out the time aligned drivers, but also mentioning the bass driver was recessed in a concave recess that functions like a mid/bass horn?
Theres a very good review of the 530's by a reviewer online I can't remember which one and he says something similar it's one of the reasons why it has a lot of punch with the bass down to 60hz from the way they were explaining it

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Theres a very good review of the 530's by a reviewer online I can't remember which one and he says something similar it's one of the reasons why it has a lot of punch with the bass down to 60hz from the way they were explaining it
I don't think so altho I think I know what they're referring what with the drivers in the 5 series being a bit recessed as well as the shape of the cabinet to an extant, but for bass I doubt that is a horn effect of any significance at least.

ps Danzilla, you think the 590s have a bass horn effect too?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I don't think so altho I think I know what they're referring what with the drivers in the 5 series being a bit recessed as well as the shape of the cabinet to an extant, but for bass I doubt that is a horn effect of any significance at least.

It was an online review of the 530 by Son I think is part of there name it was a good review pretty detailed he didn't say it was a horn per say he said the recess for the woofer acts partially like a horn or some kind off waveguide that helps to boost the bass he said it's part of the reason it has such good bass

It's an interesting explanation I'm not sure he's right or not but it caught my attention

If it's accurate then maybe the 590's have it too I do notice that they are set in a recess like the 530's.

Interesting point Lovin good catch

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

I did like the review tho and even though it's subjective on his listening observations to music and movies I did agree with his subjective observations on how they play so he may be on to something

Damn Lovin I'm excited the 530's should be here this Friday I'll be posting pics when I set them up next weekend

B

bigkrazy155

Audioholic
I did like the review tho and even though it's subjective on his listening observations to music and movies I did agree with his subjective observations on how they play so he may be on to something

Damn Lovin I'm excited the 530's should be here this Friday I'll be posting pics when I set them up next weekend
Perks of being geographically close to the distribution center...I get mine tomorrow!

Did you ever come up with any mounting solutions?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Perks of being geographically close to the distribution center...I get mine tomorrow!

Did you ever come up with any mounting solutions?
No I'm still hoping somebody like Shady or Pogre or William might know a good reccomendation I'm researching tho and if I find something I'll let you know

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yo

You mean like @shadyJ or @William Lemmerhirt ? :D
Not that I'd presume that we deserve their help necessarily!
What's @Pogre? Chopped liver? :p

I'm looking for the mounts I'm using and it's gonna take a little digging. I have mine mounted higher than I'd like and angled them down. The mounts don't angle far enough down so I did a little creative engineering with some nylon straps and they're not going anywhere now.

20170702_170315-1305x734.jpg

If your speakers are at a more reasonable height I'd see no reason to have to use a strap like I'm doing tho. I'll post up the link as soon as I find it.

*Edit: The second set of cables are gone now. Originally I was using them to anchor the speaker from the binding posts before I got the strap idea.

B

bigkrazy155

Audioholic
What's @Pogre? Chopped liver? :p

I'm looking for the mounts I'm using and it's gonna take a little digging. I have mine mounted higher than I'd like and angled them down. The mounts don't angle far enough down so I did a little creative engineering with some nylon straps and they're not going anywhere now.

View attachment 32517

If your speakers are at a more reasonable height I'd see no reason to have to use a strap like I'm doing tho. I'll post up the link as soon as I find it.

*Edit: The second set of cables are gone now. Originally I was using them to anchor the speaker from the binding posts before I got the strap idea.
Thank you sir! I meant no disrespect!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis