Jbl Studio 230 vs Klipsch RP-160

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
i just received a pair of jbl 230s for my computer desktop.

just listened to one song and now i know whey they are a top recommended bookshelf.

makes your music come alive. the highs, the bass is pretty darn awesome. im not going to turn it up too loud until i break them in a bit, maybe 20 hours or so. but they already sound so goooood.

for $300 im not sure you can do better.

though the only other speakers i can compare them to are the pioneer sb22s (no contest regarding tweeter) and the klipsch rp160s (klipsch have more bass and the treble might be a bit better on the klipsch) but thats over a hundred price difference between the two.

i need to break these in more.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just use them as you like, loud won't make any difference, it's more you being broke in than the speakers...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm in the same camp. When I first get new speakers they sometimes sound off, but over time your brain adjusts to the new timbre and all is well again.

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
i guess ill turn them up.

i suppose tweeter doesnt need breakin, but the woofers. dont they need to loosen up a little bit because they move. .

these speakers sound lovely

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
i guess ill turn them up.

i suppose tweeter doesnt need breakin, but the woofers. dont they need to loosen up a little bit because they move. .

these speakers sound lovely
Even if they do loosen up more over time not likely you'll hear the difference, and if anything turning them up does it in less time.

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
i think im done searching for computer desktop speakers.
i have new in box klipsch rp160s from a package deal (my sister loved my first pair of klipsch rp160s so i gave them to her) but i have a home theater setup with klipsch 280 towers, 450 center, and hsu mk5 sub. so i dont want same brand in every room. also have emptek towers and big center in bedroom. a little variety is good.

i considered the philharmonic AA monitors because of the bass, but i like bright speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd have tried the JBL LSR305 for a computer setup, but don't need one, but you apparently already had amplification for the speakers? I've got a full set of the JBL Studio 5 series, good to hear the 2 series does well, too.

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
yeah i have a cheap like 10 year old sony str-k790 htib receiver running these.

im wondering if im missing out on better sound and if should buy a good amp and toss the sony.
but sounds good

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
yeah i have a cheap like 10 year old sony str-k790 htib receiver running these.

im wondering if im missing out on better sound and if should buy a good amp and toss the sony.
but sounds good
I think you're already hearing the answer to that one....if'n it ain't broke....

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
ok after a couple hours listening.

its alot closer.

klipsch uses some type of horn tweeter with a new rubber outside that supposedly takes shrillness away. its not screeching highs or nails on a chalkboard like people say about klipsch speakers. no listening fatigue. (i had the klipsch rp160 for a couple weeks on my comp desktop.)

and jbls use a waveguide tweeter? i know nothing about this stuff.

treble is slightly better on the klipsch, slightly. bass is better by a wider margin.

if theres a $100 difference between the two, id say get the jbl.

Last edited:
B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
any recommendations on a good quality amp running off a computer, tops $60?
this sony htbi receiver is bulky and old. i have no room to toe in the speakers.

ive been looking at the yamaha 202 but on sale at frys is $100 plus tax.

want a good quality amp for computer use

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
strange, i just unplugged the 8 sub from the sony htib out of curiosity, to see how much bass coming from the jbls.

and there is very little bass. i touched the woofers on the jbl and they are moving. but hardly any bass.

i guess since this is a old htib with tiny satellites, no bass is being sent to the jbls. and it was being sent to the lil 8 sub.

i have them wired to front left and right on the receiver.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
strange, i just unplugged the 8 sub from the sony htib out of curiosity, to see how much bass coming from the jbls.

and there is very little bass. i touched the woofers on the jbl and they are moving. but hardly any bass.

i guess since this is a old htib with tiny satellites, no bass is being sent to the jbls. and it was being sent to the lil 8 sub.

i have them wired to front left and right on the receiver.
Depending on the size of the original HTiB speakers, the crossover is likely fixed anywhere from 80Hz to ~160Hz (for mini-cubes)

S

Shawnb

Enthusiast
Does the htib use a high crossover? From htib I've used before, where the included sub was expected to be used, all the low frequency was sent to the sub. I tried out my kef q300s on one, and it sounded like it had no bass too.

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
yeah you guys are probably right. this thing has tiny satellites. im tossing it and getting something new

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
yeah you guys are probably right. this thing has tiny satellites. im tossing it and getting something new
The JBL was measured –3dB point is at 52 Hz, and the –6dB point is at 44 Hz.
So the problem is not the speakers, and JBL does not spike the port tuning.

J

JRT3

Junior Audioholic
You can't go wrong with a decent amp - the 50 Wpc stereo receiver (2.1 - has subwoofer output!) Onkyo TX-8020, at $149, is quite a good bargain. The remote control is useful, too. I've had mine for >3 yr and no problems.

PS I'd keep the Klipsch speakers! I have R-15M's on mine now as a workbench HT.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Depending on the size of the original HTiB speakers, the crossover is likely fixed anywhere from 80Hz to ~160Hz (for mini-cubes)
Yeah, this.
I wonder if the XO is defeatable though. A generic philips htib might be fixed but a Sony, maybe? Doesn't help his space issue but it might save him buying an amp.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, this.
I wonder if the XO is defeatable though. A generic philips htib might be fixed but a Sony, maybe? Doesn't help his space issue but it might save him buying an amp.
The Sony HTiB kits I have seen did not make provisions for the sub to be adapted to components outside of the kit.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis