H

HTHOLIC

Audioholic
Of all the loudspeaker Reviews and talk, I am never informed about JBL, except for the da-lite review with its integrated jbl speakers here on AH.

I know JBL isn't the same as BOSE. Jbl is very popular for music, but what does the audiophile community have to say about it. Prices are starting to get reasonable to, the JBL northridge E50 can be had for under $250 a pair, for a bookshelf speaker.

With a max handining of 175 watts of power and a frequency response of 45hz to 20khz, I don't see why jbl isn't great. Knowing that RBH sound is expensive, any thoughts on JBL?

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
HTHOLIC said:
Of all the loudspeaker Reviews and talk, I am never informed about JBL, except for the da-lite review with its integrated jbl speakers here on AH.

I know JBL isn't the same as BOSE. Jbl is very popular for music, but what does the audiophile community have to say about it. Prices are starting to get reasonable to, the JBL northridge E50 can be had for under $250 a pair, for a bookshelf speaker.

With a max handining of 175 watts of power and a frequency response of 45hz to 20khz, I don't see why jbl isn't great. Knowing that RBH sound is expensive, any thoughts on JBL?
There are a couple of us, you probably wouldn't call us 'audiophiles', who have/had JBL's and love them. I've had the amazing home monitor L100's, and now use the Studio Series. They are not the speaker juggernaut company they used to be...but are pretty decent for big box store speakers, now. But they still also make outstanding professional quality gear...stocking the speakers in most of America's theaters. They make some really outstanding (and expensive) speakers still. The E Series is not one of their better productions, but is serviceable.

drunkmunk

drunkmunk

Junior Audioholic
I love my JBL's

I recently upgraded a mismatched set of speakers (bose 301, sony towers, bose center) to an all jbl northridge series set up (e80 towers, e20 surrounds, ec35 center) and i couldn't be happier. I think the JBL north ridge line takes a beating in the forums because they're offered at BestBuy at prices WAY higher than you can get them online. For the price they charge at Best Buy you could do much better. But with some patience and online shopping savvy you can get incredible deals on these speakers right now. i would challenge my set up against just about any set up for the price i paid.

E80: 149 ea free shipping as opposed to 279 ea from best buy when i was shopping

E20: 60 pair free shipping 120 a pair from best buy

EC35: 159 Free shipping best buy didn't carry it but had the EC25 which is a crappy speaker for 150

I'm not gonna go with a JBL sub because they haven't impressed me at all.

Are there better sounding speakers for the price paid at best buy? of course but for the online prices I think the E80's sound fantastic nice full sound decent lows and great midrange. the E20's are alright but I wish i would have went with the E30's in side by side comparison I thought the E30's sounded much better. And now for the shining star of the bunch: the EC35 center channel. This baby does a fantastic job with movie dialogue and is probably the best center channel you can buy as far bang for the buck.

J

JAD2

I listen with my mouth open...
Dont ever ask somebody whom claims to be and audiophile anything, same goes to one that goes by videophile.

Those arent consignor's, enthusiasts, there addicts, nothing more nothing less.
Sorry if that rubs some the wrong way, but I trolled these forums for a better part of six months before I made the plunge. Its all opinions they can give and money isnt an issue like and addict. JBL's, Polks and other lines once called audiophile equipment has gone common place due to strategies for better production. Now since the common place person can get there hands on them, no longer Audiophile rate are they, even though they've kept up the sound they once had and gotten better. When opinions dont come close to matching each other than there is no fact in the matter since there is no majority.
Reminds me of the weak minded comment made in Star Wars. Put a price on it, sell few of them and its now Audiophile.
Bottom line is DO YOU LIKE THE SOUND, DO THEY MAKE YOU HAPPY!!!!!!!
After trolling these boards I went out and listened to speakers, looked at equipment. At times the most popular of lines, costing alot more to me sounded BRIGHT, TINNY, MUDDY, but some did have a better sound, but so slight it takes certain music to show that slightness of difference and I mean slight. You gonna drop $500, $600 and up on a pair of speakers that dont always give to you a better sound than a $150 set, just cause a AUDIOPHILE says so???

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
drunkmunk said:
I recently upgraded a mismatched set of speakers (bose 301, sony towers, bose center) to an all jbl northridge series set up (e80 towers, e20 surrounds, ec35 center) and i couldn't be happier. I think the JBL north ridge line takes a beating in the forums because they're offered at BestBuy at prices WAY higher than you can get them online. For the price they charge at Best Buy you could do much better. But with some patience and online shopping savvy you can get incredible deals on these speakers right now. i would challenge my set up against just about any set up for the price i paid.

E80: 149 ea free shipping as opposed to 279 ea from best buy when i was shopping

E20: 60 pair free shipping 120 a pair from best buy

EC35: 159 Free shipping best buy didn't carry it but had the EC25 which is a crappy speaker for 150

I'm not gonna go with a JBL sub because they haven't impressed me at all.

Are there better sounding speakers for the price paid at best buy? of course but for the online prices I think the E80's sound fantastic nice full sound decent lows and great midrange. the E20's are alright but I wish i would have went with the E30's in side by side comparison I thought the E30's sounded much better. And now for the shining star of the bunch: the EC35 center channel. This baby does a fantastic job with movie dialogue and is probably the best center channel you can buy as far bang for the buck.
I agree, Munk. I do use the EC35 with my Studio Series mains and it's a terrific performer.

And I'll second your advice to the OP....avoid (like space herpes ;) ...just saw Ice Pirates again) JBL subs. As subwoofers go, they make good firewood.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
JAD2 said:
Dont ever ask somebody whom claims to be and audiophile anything, same goes to one that goes by videophile.

Those arent consignor's, enthusiasts, there addicts, nothing more nothing less.
Sorry if that rubs some the wrong way, but I trolled these forums for a better part of six months before I made the plunge. Its all opinions they can give and money isnt an issue like and addict. JBL's, Polks and other lines once called audiophile equipment has gone common place due to strategies for better production. Now since the common place person can get there hands on them, no longer Audiophile rate are they, even though they've kept up the sound they once had and gotten better. When opinions dont come close to matching each other than there is no fact in the matter since there is no majority.
Reminds me of the weak minded comment made in Star Wars. Put a price on it, sell few of them and its now Audiophile.
Bottom line is DO YOU LIKE THE SOUND, DO THEY MAKE YOU HAPPY!!!!!!!
After trolling these boards I went out and listened to speakers, looked at equipment. At times the most popular of lines, costing alot more to me sounded BRIGHT, TINNY, MUDDY, but some did have a better sound, but so slight it takes certain music to show that slightness of difference and I mean slight. You gonna drop $500, $600 and up on a pair of speakers that dont always give to you a better sound than a $150 set, just cause a AUDIOPHILE says so???
After having gone through a rather emotional effort at 'upgrading' out of my JBL's, I ended up in full agreement with you about the sound. Improvements are incrementally small (generally speaking) and the only important criterion is if THEY SOUND GOOD TO YOU. The accuracy or ability to present a 'live' sound reproduction may come closer to reality with better drivers, but it isn't by much ... one has to have a very discerning ear ... and even then you're not hearing 'live' from the source material, just one studio engineer's interpretation of 'live'. As a speaker manufacturer friend once told me, the search is not in getting a 'wow' experience. It's just getting it 'right'. These are mighty fine lines to my tin ears.

But subwoofers.....now THAT is an entirely different matter.

H

HTHOLIC

Audioholic
You should click this link and post comments

How about THE JBL Northridge v. RBH sound and Axiom?

While their subwoofers are a bit weak for the price, I have read positive reviews
about the northridge at other websites, secrets of ht and fidelity.

The reason being is because JBL is started to get into the HT market,
I mean by being competiive, the Northridge series according to JBL
is one of their attempts to get a better value for the price.

I don't know why all the DJ's and clubs use JBL, do they?
is it because of bass, or great accuracy at certain frequencies?

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/jbl-northridge-e-speakers-11-2004.html

Click the Link and post your thougs and comments, can it compete
with the big names, paradigm, axiom,rbh,svs, monitor audio and so on?
With speakers this big, it can move a lot of air says the reviewer, johnson
is an audiophile himself. However, I have never had JBL speakers, and tend
to think of it as an overpriced brand name, but for the price does this give
other speakers a run for the money?

Last edited:
Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
HTHOLIC said:
However, I have never had JBL speakers, and tend
to think of it as an overpriced brand name, but for the price does this give
other speakers a run for the money?
They are absolutely a good value. Let me say that you can buy speakers at 5 or 10 times (or much more) the price of the Northridge line. They'll be leaner, meaner, knock-test-passing wonders, but they won't be 5 or 10 times (or much more) 'better' than the JBLs.

I've come to the conclusion after a very long period of speaker auditioning that it doesn't matter how much you spend. The bottom line is... does it sound good to you?!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
HTHOLIC said:
I don't know why all the DJ's and clubs use JBL, do they?
is it because of bass, or great accuracy at certain frequencies?
JBL is, and pretty much always was, a big operation. They have several divisions, their home audio division, which is what you see in the stores for us audio hobbyists to play with at home.

Opinions vary on the "preferability" of this line, but a lot of that is personal opinion and not a statement of quality.

Although it's sound quality was recognized as "west coast" years ago, it was held in higher regard then but it's still built with quality parts and they stand behind their products.

If you like their sound then you should not be dissuaded by others opinions.

Also, they have a whole "pro" division which uses totally different parts to turn out a totally different product line for totally different purposes. Now, these are more than competitive to similar products by other manufacturers.

IMNSHO, I'd more likely choose current JBL products for pro applications than I would for home use but that doesn't mean they are bad. It's just a preference.

And, if you're considering their Northridge series, I'd say you owe it to yourself to scout out some Athena Audition series (AS-F2, AS-F1, AS-B2, AS-B1, AS-C) speakers and give 'em a listen.

B

bandit

Audioholic
After reading through this thread - and people saying you should go with the sound that YOU like I have to say I totally agree. I have what some would consider a mismatched JBL system as they are from different ERA's and cross the pro/home lines. My L/R speakers are a pair 240Ti's my center is S-Center II and my sub is pro 4645C with an Rythmik Audio sub amp installed. Well - I have a slightly weak link as my surrounds are a pair of pro-performers. Someday I'll update those. Bottom line is - I really like the sound from this system. I've gone into some "high end" retail stores to audition speakers and have never heard anything that would make me want to jump from my present setup. To the point I've pretty much even stopped looking. I imagine that I'm not alone in having the sales person ask you what kind of speakers you are looking to replace - and you mention JBL. Then it starts - the bewildered look and the statement that they make crap. (more tactfully put usually) That is when that sales person loses all credibility. Bottom line - if you like the sound what difference should it make to anyone else.

Bandit

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Assuming Your Not Just Looking For Validation...

I think you might be missing the point of most of the responses to your original post and questions. Speaker preference generally comes down to a few things, the most important being your own subjective take on their sound reproduction. If you're happy with the way they sound and you're likely to be the main audience, then what ever sound pleases you should be basing your decision on.

Price is, without a doubt, one of the larger deciding factors for consumers when purchasing speakers. Some folks are under the impression that the more they spend, the better the speaker they'll get. While spending a decent amount of money on speakers may likely increase the chances of getting a well built and decent performing product, it won't necessarily give you the best "bang for the buck".

The JBL speakers you reference in the Home Theater Hi-Fi review are solid performers for the money. I think most of the responses here on your thread validate this, however stating that they "may be av123, axiom, svs bookshelfs and RBH" is a bit presumptuous. When performing speaker comparisions from one manufacturer to another, you should be taking into account the type of speaker (e.g. tower, bookshelf, on-wall, etc.), specifications, build quality and last, but not least, price. Two different speaker manufacturers can build an almost identical type of speaker in regards to the cabinet, components (drivers, crossovers, etc.) and even specifications, yet still produce two completely different sounding speakers and may even sell them at a difference in price.

The subjectivity of the listener/consumer will likely dictate whether or not one is more preferrable over the other. Even taking this into consideration, some consumers may be willing to spend more on one over another due to aesthetics, in-room performance and/or their listening material. A blanket statement that one speaker manufacturer's line is better than others is a bit narrow-minded. AV123, Axiom and SVS all offer excellent products for the money, RBH provides some exceptional speakers for their price range, it all depends on what you're looking for.

Another point to kee in mind is that while even a respected source such as 'Secrets' can provide a decent review on these speakers, this is still mainly a subjective viewpoint. While gathering feedback from reliable resources can help in your decision making, listening to as many speakers as you can (in your own listening environment, if possible) that fall within your search criteria will help you find the best solution to your needs... -TD

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I like mine.

The E10's I have sound very good for an $80 - 100 pair of bookshelves. You could pay a lot more to get just a small improvement. If money is no object, then you could do better. Oherwise, they are a great bang for the buck speaker.

H

HTHOLIC

Audioholic
Subjective Opinion?

Although everyone has their subjective opinions I don't beleive AH or secrets of HT- use them that often and if they do - they make note of it.

The staff at Secrets- ie, johnson has personally designed amplifiers,speakers and so on and many of them hold professional certification and so on. I do beleive though despite that- subjective opinion still persists.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Subjective Opinion Is Inevitable....

Most reputable publications (AH, Secrets, etc.) will qualify their findings with statistical measurements and additional data. However, at the end of the day, when the product "experience" is conveyed to the reader, it is inevitably subjective, that's the human element that can't be avoided. Not that it needs to be, that's just the truth of the matter.

The reviewer's product and field experience should strongly lend credence to their findings as well as their opinion, but when it all comes down to it, one should only use these findings as part of the equation when researching products for purchase. You, the consumer, should perform your own analysis of the prospective products, if at all possible, as you'll be the one living with them in your own listening environment...;) -TD

H

HTHOLIC

Audioholic
I understand your logic but I don't wholeheartidyl agree.

The whole bose concept is not how well the speaker is , but what consumers subjective listening is it , or rather how good they think it sounds.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
There's a fairly sizeable difference between most of those folks and the folks that frequent this site and other audio/home theater enthusiast sites.

Those that end up with the Bose Lifestyle systems typically want something that sounds reasonably decent, is fairly obscure or isn't noticable (aka W.A.F.) and are told they are a decent speaker system by "knowledgeable" staff. There's very little critical listening done, no specification or performance analysis done (and if you can find this information on the Bose Lifestyle system, let me know where it is b/c it just don't exist :confused: ) and these consumers generally go on the word of of the sales staff of the electronics store. This isn't to say that they can't enjoy these systems, on the contrary, they may be perfectly happy with them and quite often, that's what's important.

However, you're not likely to find most fans of Bose products scouring these forums for advice on system configuration, optimizing their listening equipment and environment nor getting the best equipment for the money. They're not satisfied being told what's good and what's not, they want to get their hands dirty and find out for themselves.

So...it's kind of like comparing apples and oranges. Most folks here aren't satisfied with what they're told is good by a pimple-faced electronics store worker, they want to find out for themselves, do the research and not just skim the top when it comes to their purchases, which is mostly my point.

Find out what you want, do the research and then buy what you can afford. If you've done all your homework before setting on a purchase, you can feel secure knowing you've explored all your options and done everything you can to assure yourself that your purchase is going to be the right one... -TD

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis