R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic
Anyone with any experience with the jbl lsr 3 series speakers?
I want to try some control directivity speakers with out damaging my wallet. These seems inexpensive.
But would like some opinion.

Thank you

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I think these make excellent entry to low mid-fi speakers as they can hook directly to a TV, and sound pretty much the same no matter where you point them. They stay clean and neutral at all but really high volumes. Since they don't require other electronics to work, I think they are the best deal around for budget stereos.

Also, these would be known as Constant Directivity. Bass sound pressure waves measure in the dozens of feet, and decrease in size, with increasing frequency. This means that all speakers become more directional at high frequencies, but the wave guide JBL uses makes this far less noticeable.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think these make excellent entry to low mid-fi speakers as they can hook directly to a TV, and sound pretty much the same no matter where you point them. They stay clean and neutral at all but really high volumes. Since they don't require other electronics to work, I think they are the best deal around for budget stereos.

Also, these would be known as Constant Directivity. Bass sound pressure waves measure in the dozens of feet, and decrease in size, with increasing frequency. This means that all speakers become more directional at high frequencies, but the wave guide JBL uses makes this far less noticeable.
Personally dislike the magazine reviewer term mid-fi to describe less than hi-end....what does it mean in this context?

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
I have them. Their only weakness (for the price) are their crappy wood(???) cabinets. If you want to play them loud, brace the cabinets (some dowels cut to length wedged inside). Makes a monster difference. Compared to my RAAL New Phils, they're pretty damn close - though there are some somewhat noticeable differences when compared side by side. Plus you don't have to pay for amplification. Remember, you'll also have to buy 6 foot or however long RCA>XLR interconnects.

R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic
I have them. Their only weakness (for the price) are their crappy wood(???) cabinets. If you want to play them loud, brace the cabinets (some dowels cut to length wedged inside). Makes a monster difference. Compared to my RAAL New Phils, they're pretty damn close - though there are some somewhat noticeable differences when compared side by side. Plus you don't have to pay for amplification. Remember, you'll also have to buy 6 foot or however long RCA>XLR interconnects.
In all honesty. Im looking for a pair of speakers that somewhat resembles the salk song tower tonality. I really like these speakers but im also looking for them to sound like a big speakers. My altec lansing sounds big but nowhere to be liked. Im no longer looking for ultimate transparency and hyper imaging. I want something warm in the mid and to have some heft scale in it. Any recommendations?

R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic
To put things in perspective. My sierra2 sounds clean and transparent. Image like crazy and soundstage depends how wide you would put the speakers apart. They disappeared very well too. But they dont scale. When playing saxophone, it sounds miniture which is aweful if you ask me. The salk and selah sounds bigger. They just simply play with more umpth which to me personally im loooking for and enjoy it.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Personally dislike the magazine reviewer term mid-fi to describe less than hi-end....what does it mean in this context?
I would say the 305's give SVS Ultra Bookshelves a run for their $1k/pr asking price.

To reiterate for those unfamiliar, the 305's only need electricity, as they have built in amps.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, I have a pair, they're quite nice for what they are. Arnie Krueger used 308s for his home. Just didn't understand the use of the term mid-fi in conjunction with them as they are indeed of high fidelity. Haven't experienced the SVS (aside from my older MBS-02s).

I would say the 305's give SVS Ultra Bookshelves a run for their $1k/pr asking price.

To reiterate for those unfamiliar, the 305's only need electricity, as they have built in amps.
Interesting review here http://noaudiophile.com/JBL_LSR305/

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
In all honesty. Im looking for a pair of speakers that somewhat resembles the salk song tower tonality. I really like these speakers but im also looking for them to sound like a big speakers. My altec lansing sounds big but nowhere to be liked. Im no longer looking for ultimate transparency and hyper imaging. I want something warm in the mid and to have some heft scale in it. Any recommendations?
I can compare them again tonight but I remember that they don't sound too much different that the Salk/Philharmonic sound. Maybe a bit less smooth, a little less soundstage depth and a couple other things but for under $250/pair on sale (they go on sale often) you really can't buy much better for under $1K. Again with the caveat that bass is boomy at loud levels (65/70+ db) without bracing them.

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
I heard a bit of difference on an old Olivia Newton John song - mainly in the bass (not as good) on the JBL's but on Sting's Englishman in New York, I was rather hard-pressed to tell a difference between the two. The RAAL's seem to make Sting's voice a bit more forward, a bit more "there" in front of me but that's kind of it. I listen to a lot of old stuff mostly....

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, I have a pair, they're quite nice for what they are. Arnie Krueger used 308s for his home. Just didn't understand the use of the term mid-fi in conjunction with them as they are indeed of high fidelity. Haven't experienced the SVS (aside from my older MBS-02s).

Interesting review here http://noaudiophile.com/JBL_LSR305/
Right, I would even have to say "these are approaching reference level".

These JBLs are pretty much ubiquitous in mixing studios where accuracy is king. That's an unofficial rec in my book.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis