B

Bone-Head

Junior Audioholic
Need a little help. I noticed on the spec sheet for these speakers it states it’s a 4 ohm and recommended amp is 25-300 Watts. Well my question here is this. Is it 300 watts at 4 ohms? I ask this because I have an Anthem MCA 225 GEN2 that is rated continuous at 225 watts in 8 ohms and 400 in 4 ohms. Am I missing something here? It looks obvious, but I am a little on the lacking of understanding when it comes to this stuff. I simply need to know if I have plenty of power for these speakers. If this amp sounds like it may need a little help, I was looking at adding a Parasound A21+ into my system specifically for these 2 speakers.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Focusing on Watts like that is the wrong way of looking at it, as that "power range" is misleading, and that 300w max is either maximum sustained or a failure point... either way it is LOUD, as in permanent hearing loss loud.
According to JBL, the sensitivity is 92dB @1m.
That is already absurdly loud. Consider that 85db is Reference Level.
If you extend the speakers performance out to ~256 w, it will be putting out ~116dB @1m if I stumbled my way through that correctly. ;) (Reference Level dynamic peaks are 105dB)

What you need to be certain of is that your Amp is stable for the load:HDI impedance.jpg
The above graph shows the electrical behavior of the HDI-3800. JBL specifies these as a 4-ohm speaker, and that is a conservative rating according to our measurement. If they called it a 6-ohm nominal speaker, I wouldn’t argue. The minima is 5.8 ohms at 127 Hz, but that happens with an agreeable phase angle of 11 degrees. Overall, this is not a difficult electrical load for any competently-engineered amplifier. I think even budget AVRs could cope with this...
From Shady's review here:

So the short of it is yes, you would be fine.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Need a little help. I noticed on the spec sheet for these speakers it states it’s a 4 ohm and recommended amp is 25-300 Watts. Well my question here is this. Is it 300 watts at 4 ohms?
I ask this because I have an Anthem MCA 225 GEN2 that is rated continuous at 225 watts in 8 ohms and 400 in 4 ohms. Am I missing something here? It looks obvious, but I am a little on the lacking of understanding when it comes to this stuff. I simply need to know if I have plenty of power for these speakers.
Although not perfectly clear, the high pribability implication is amp rated power at 4 ohms.
- You should have plenty of power with the MCA.
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

B

Bone-Head

Junior Audioholic
Focusing on Watts like that is the wrong way of looking at it, as that "power range" is misleading, and that 300w max is either maximum sustained or a failure point... either way it is LOUD, as in permanent hearing loss loud.
According to JBL, the sensitivity is 92dB @1m.
That is already absurdly loud. Consider that 85db is Reference Level.
If you extend the speakers performance out to ~256 w, it will be putting out ~116dB @1m if I stumbled my way through that correctly. ;) (Reference Level dynamic peaks are 105dB)

What you need to be certain of is that your Amp is stable for the load:HDI impedance.jpg

From Shady's review here:

So the short of it is yes, you would be fine.
Thanks and I’m sure you can tell I do not have a good grasp on this stuff. I come here and hope fine people like yourself can assist.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis