Jbl HDI 3600 or Arendal 1723 s thx

S

Slipkids88

Junior Audioholic
Any recommendations for a 7.2 series up on the below. Preference?

Jbl HDI 3600 or Arendal 1723 s thx

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Both are good. The JBLs might have a somewhat wider dynamic range due to their use of a compression driver, but the Arendal's should have a more predictable vertical response. If you are not going for a screamingly loud system, I might have to give the nod to the Arendals, if you can set them up properly. Definitely go for the Arendal 1723 subwoofers over the HDI subs if possible.

S

Slipkids88

Junior Audioholic
Classic rock, live concert recordings and movies. Not sure why the Arendals, are not advertised as much.
Many have never heard of them, literally.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Classic rock, live concert recordings and movies. Not sure why the Arendals, are not advertised as much.
Many have never heard of them, literally.
Arendal is a more widely known brand in Europe. They are gaining more presence in North America, and for good reason; their products are very good (at least so far in my experience).

S

Slipkids88

Junior Audioholic
Im leaning toward them and budgeting for the HT set up.
1723 Tower S Thx (2)
1723 Center S Thx
1961 Subs 1s (2)
surrounds (2) brand to be determined
In celing (2) brand to be determined
Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A6A

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Unlesss you don't want to deal with speaker stands, I would just get the 1723 S Monitors or better yet the regular 1723 THX monitors. No need for tower speakers since you likely will not be taking advantage of their deeper bass extension; that job will be taken by the subwoofers. As for the subs, unless you need the small size of the sealed subs, there isn't any advantage in the sealed sub. Get the 1962 1V subs instead (although the 1723 1V would be even better).

S

Slipkids88

Junior Audioholic
Preference is the floor speakers. There isnt a 1962 sub, only 1961. for the price point for 2, 1961 1s is fine.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Preference is the floor speakers. There isnt a 1962 sub, only 1961. for the price point for 2, 1961 1s is fine.
If you want a killer home theater, it's worth it to spring for the 1v. It will have way more deep bass than the 1s. What you are doing with getting tower speakers with weak subs is just hobbling your bass. Your tower speakers won't be doing deep bass, they will be handing that duty off to the subs. The Arendal tower speakers don't really have any advantage over the monitors if you aren't using their low-frequency extension- which you wouldn't be if you set up your system correctly. So your money will go way further by getting the monitors and more powerful subs, at least if you want a better sound system.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think Shady nails it. If you're getting subs (of which I would never get sealed for home theater) the advantages of having the towers are negated. Arendal has a very capable MTM monitor. It's not a typical bookshelf speaker, and putting the tower money saved toward better subs is a non brainer.

S

Slipkids88

Junior Audioholic
If you want a killer home theater, it's worth it to spring for the 1v. It will have way more deep bass than the 1s. What you are doing with getting tower speakers with weak subs is just hobbling your bass. Your tower speakers won't be doing deep bass, they will be handing that duty off to the subs. The Arendal tower speakers don't really have any advantage over the monitors if you aren't using their low-frequency extension- which you wouldn't be if you set up your system correctly. So your money will go way further by getting the monitors and more powerful subs, at least if you want a better sound system.
Which speakers do you have and are u happy with them? What is your set up?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
ShadyJ gets to play with all sorts of speakers and subs, he's our reviewer. Did you read his Arendal and HDI reviews?
I don't get to use my stuff anymore! Sometimes that's good, and other times that's bad.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
No, can you send me the links?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
T

Thanks much appreciated. JBL is JBL. Not familiar with Arendal, but they got great reviews.
I have many JBLs but think if I were looking for something now, the Arendal stuff would be a serious consideration. Their shipping/return policy is pretty awesome considering what's going on now....hope the additional costs being incurred now generally don't kill it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis