D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I have the 305 MKII's but was wondering if the upgrade to the 308s is worth it or just find a different upgrade altogether?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
The 308 only goes a hair lower, but it does play louder. What are you hoping to achieve?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm with TheWarrior so more interesting as to what your goals are or how the 305s don't cut it for you. With what and how do you use them?

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I'm with TheWarrior so more interesting as to what your goals are or how the 305s don't cut it for you. With what and how do you use them?
Right now by themselves but by the end of the year with the 310. It isn't that they don't cut it. Just seeing if the upgrade to the 308s is a big improvement?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd wait and get the 310 and see if you still have the itch?

ps but more info about your room/setup/use could be helpful overall.

Last edited:
D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I'd wait and get the 310 and see if you still have the itch?

ps but more info about your room/setup/use could be helpful overall.
25x25 open space. Bookshelves sit on the desk. Sub would go somewhere underneath. Yeah not serious about the 308s. Only if the improvement is worth the change.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
As mentioned, the real difference is greater dynamic range. Sound quality is essentially similar between the two otherwise, just slightly more umph.

That's a big room. If you're trying to listen beyond a nearfield type distance, then maybe?

jinjuku

jinjuku

Right now by themselves but by the end of the year with the 310. It isn't that they don't cut it. Just seeing if the upgrade to the 308s is a big improvement?
I have the 308 MKII and dual LSR310's for my 2.0 setup. If you already have the 305's I would just get the LSR310. Both will do fine and I wouldn't do the additional spend to go to the 308's. Now the 708's are another matter ;-)

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
25x25 open space. Bookshelves sit on the desk. Sub would go somewhere underneath. Yeah not serious about the 308s. Only if the improvement is worth the change.
I have the 305MKII's. If you like to turn them up to listen, I found that they sound better if you wedge in a couple braces (wooden dowel rods that you can pick up cheap at the hardware store) side to side, one from top to bottom. I also added non-drying clay to the inside front baffle. The cabinet is flimsy and this reduces the resonances that the cabinets put out when cranking the speakers. I think it improves the sound of the speakers a lot.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Placement for the 310. I'm wondering how that would work since my 305s are on the desk. Underneath the desk, back of desk, front side of desk etc?

I'm sorry but wanted to ask before I bought the cables so to know the length I'll need.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not sure if you intend to continue using a 2-speaker set up, or plan to expand to a 5-channel (or more) set up. If you want to expand, keep the 305s and use them as rear channel speakers.

Last edited:
D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not sure if you intend to continue using a 2-speaker set up, or plan to expand to a 5-channel (or more) set up. If you want to expand, keep the 305s and use them as rear channel speakers.
2-channel. Only for my computer desk. Where should I place the sub?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would also be looking at the Kali LP8 mk2 or the PreSonus Eris E8 XT. One nice thing about the PreSonus is that it has a selectable high-pass filter that makes it easy to use with subwoofers without a bass management system. Read the review.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I would also be looking at the Kali LP8 mk2 or the PreSonus Eris E8 XT. One nice thing about the PreSonus is that it has a selectable high-pass filter that makes it easy to use with subwoofers without a bass management system. Read the review.
I think he already has the 305s and the 310 (which also has a high pass).

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think he already has the 305s and the 310 (which also has a high pass).
It looks to me like the 310 can not send a high-passed signal through the outputs. This being the case, he has no way to do any bass management without an outboard processor. The 310's low-pass filter is pretty crude, it will only low-pass at 80Hz, so he will get some overlapping bass with any speaker that doesn't have a high-pass filter, like the JBL LSRs. The PreSonus Eris E8 XT does have a 80Hz high-pass setting, making it a better to use with the JBL sub than JBL's own monitors.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It looks to me like the 310 can not send a high-passed signal through the outputs. This being the case, he has no way to do any bass management without an outboard processor. The 310's low-pass filter is pretty crude, it will only low-pass at 80Hz, so he will get some overlapping bass with any speaker that doesn't have a high-pass filter, like the JBL LSRs. The PreSonus Eris E8 XT does have a 80Hz high-pass setting, making it a better to use with the JBL sub than JBL's own monitors.
I'd have to look again but believe the 310 can provide a high pass signal at 80hz for the speakers....

ps Yes, confirmed in this https://jblpro.com/en/news/jbl-professional-jbl-professional-lsr310s-powered-studio-subwoofer-with-xlf-rounds-out-winning-3-series-studio-monitor-line

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ah ok. For some reason, I could not find that information in the user manual.
It's not as clear in the manual....but does indicate a crossover of 80hz is possible....and not the usual subwoofer meaning of "low pass filter only" :)

N

noway

Enthusiast
Desks are meant for sitting at and doing work, not as a substitute for speaker stands unless you want to add more vibration and reflections to the sound. Invest in some speaker stands and put them as far in front of the desk as it takes to sound their best. Until you do that, forget about upgrading. Also the best place for a sub is where it sounds best in the room, which doesn't usually happen to be willy-nilly under some desk.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis