Jazz Standards coutesy of Joan Charmorro

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
He certainly knows how to play and inspire to get the best out of others!
If you enjoy jazz standards, check him out via YouTube!
He seems to primarily play bass. but plays a very nice tenor, and directs the Saint Andreu Jazz Band (youth jazz band from Barcelona).
He generally plays jazz standards but the execution and recording quality is consistently very good. It looks like he pulls from the youth band to round out his own Quartet (quintet, or whatever). Performers like Andrea Motis (who you can find on Amazon along with Charmorro).
This is the rare case where I can start streaming from YouTube and just let it run and get (IMHO) consistent musical goodness (without an iPhone recording from a concert popping up)!\

I often search for quality performances of tunes/arrangements to practice with and it seems like Europe is carrying the mantle of contemporary quality jazz performances. Kind of a shame to see it move away from the US, but it is great to see how much influence jazz has carried abroad.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If you have Roku or Amazon Fire, etc. and go through the YouTube station, this works better (don't worry about the "mix", just search for Joan Charmorro and let it run).
Less commercials that way.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
If you choose an artist on youtube, and choose the "topic" offering, or "artist name topic" in the search (without the " "), you can find all of their available playlists on youtube and just about everything within it, will typically be in HD. Not that HD really matters in youtube as far as audio quality, but it will be the better uploads.

Joan Charmorro topic

Also, if you have adblocker plus on your browser, you will not see the ads in youtube, or much anywhere else.

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Jazz standards. You've probably heard of this artist. I have both the "Jazz at the Pawn Shop," and "Antiphone Blues" on CD. A clarinet, of all things, and more predominately, an alto saxophone, the sound of which seems like it could clean rusty metal at times. A favorite tone, somehow, regardless. Then there's the vibraphone, the sound of glass and dinnerware clinking in the background. . . .

Arne Domnerus - I'm Confessn'

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Jazz standards. You've probably heard of this artist. I have both the "Jazz at the Pawn Shop," and "Antiphone Blues" on CD. A clarinet, of all things, and more predominately, an alto saxophone, the sound of which seems like it could clean rusty metal at times. A favorite tone, somehow, regardless. Then there's the vibraphone, the sound of glass and dinnerware clinking in the background. . . .

Arne Domnerus - I'm Confessn'
Gonna check that out in between the fights tonight.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you like that kind of jazz, both of those albums are excellent.
Nah, jazz isn't really one of my go to's but I've been listening to different stuff just to hear more variety on my system and listen to some different instruments.

I'll tell you what, I flipped Dolby on and I think this is the first time I actually enjoyed it. My wife and I both just looked at each other. It feels like we're sitting in a club listening to it. The crowd murmur in the background and the volume pegged at reference made that a lot of fun to listen to!

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Nah, jazz isn't really one of my go to's but I've been listening to different stuff just to hear more variety on my system and listen to some different instruments.

I'll tell you what, I flipped Dolby on and I think this is the first time I actually enjoyed it. My wife and I both just looked at each other. It feels like we're sitting in a club listening to it. The crowd murmur in the background and the volume pegged at reference made that a lot of fun to listen to!
That's really the same reason I started listening to it. But it caught on for a few other reasons, in the mean time.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I bought the 3 disc SACD multich set of Jazz at the Pawnhouse. It's nice, sort of mellow dinner jazz.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
The album, "Antiphone Blues," was recorded at a church in Sweden. An alto sax alongside a pipe organ, seems a little weird as a duo, but the tonal, and recording experience is worth doing, at least once. Currently, this is in the top 20 performances, or one of my *go-to's* for certain horn sounds.

Starts out with the pipe organ but when the saxophone comes on, it's just right. The album has a sort of quirky mixture of music choices. Sometimes, I don't care so much about the genre, as I do certain sounds. Some music I will listen to just if it has a killer, musical bass line. This is another one that needs to be turned up. The entire album is great, IMO.

Arne Domnerus - Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen

Arne Domnerus - Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child

Portions of this album will move the sub woofer noticeably.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis