Jazz Music-Where To Start?

G

GeorgeM

Audioholic
Well, I've got to put in a plug for David Benoit. The first CD I bought by him was Freedom At Midnight followed by several others including Urban Daydreams which I liked very much but the critics did not! :confused:

If I recall his bio correctly, he was originally classically trained and its influence is evident in many of his compositions. 'Morning Sojourn' was the first song I ever heard by him and I became a fan of his soon after that :) .

Have a listen; it's good for the ears :cool: .

-GeorgeM

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I just picked up a great two channel SACD(hybrid CD) by McCoy Tyner "McCoy Tyner with Stanley Clarke and Al Foster". Okay this is not a new release, it came out in 2000. It is very well recorded and has phenomenal playing. If you aren't familiar with Tyner especially on his own I very strongly recommend this disc if you like jazz piano.

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
docferdie said:
Diana Krall's new hybrid SACD is out . "The girl in the other room". I'm listening to it right now as I'm typing and so far I'm satisfied.
Try her earlier album "When I Look In Your Eyes." I personnally prefer that album to her new ones.

Then there's Patricia Barber. Have heard a few songs on the radio and have yet to get an album from her. Very sultry.

F

francine

i dnt like jazz at all i think its really borin because i ave 2 do my music homework on dis

but i think i'll understand it soon but still i always sleep in lessons since i started doin jazz but i'll try 2 listen!

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
francine said:
i dnt like jazz at all i think its really borin because i ave 2 do my music homework on dis

but i think i'll understand it soon but still i always sleep in lessons since i started doin jazz but i'll try 2 listen!
I am curious as to just what you have been "forced" to listen to. :cool:

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Probably the best way to get exposed to jazz is to visit a fellow audiophile and have him/her play some jazz for you. We jazz listeners know that there is a broad spectrum of styles and music involved. Be advised that the saxaphone is one of the most popular instruments with jazz musicians because it lends itself very easily to different sounds and approaches. Gato Barbieri has a tone that makes me want to leave the room but Stanley Turrentine makes me want to snuggle with my honey. It's a lot like discovering and exploring classical music. You always find something you didn't expect to like. :cool:

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
Listening hang

JoeE has the right idea. I've been into jazz for years, but over the last couple of years, I've had the oppurtunity to have some late night "listening hangs" with a great, first-call drummer. It's a great education to have someone to suggest, then take you through the music while listening.

I listen classical music (Miles LOVED classical), but the more I listen, the more I really admire improvisational music.

Jaco is a must listen. As Pat Metheny said "Jaco may well have been the last jazz musician of the 20th Century to have made a major impact on the musical world at large."

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis