jazz cd with bass focus / emphasis

jp_over

jp_over

Full Audioholic
lol you are too funny djreef . Here is one I got in the mail today. Listening to it now sounds great so far. It was recommended to me and upright bass too: Amazon.com: Walking With My Bass: Nilson Matta: Music

Is this a good version to buy? This one says 26 tracks could it be right? http://www.amazon.com/Jazz-at-Pawnshop-Domnerus/dp/B0009K9PGG/ref=sr_1_5?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1328388245&sr=1-5
Here I was thinking I had "Jazz at the Pawnshop" but I only have 6 songs on mine - (Limehouse Blues - Stuffy). I need to check into the full version.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
If it matters on recommendation, I'm a fan of Jazz at the Pawnshop and Sonny Rollins.

Thanks!
Man, I recently saw him perform! 81 years old! And he's still just killing it! The only other guys I know of who can perform like that as octogenarians are Stephane Grappelli (get his 85th bday concert in Carnegie Hall; the opening act seems to consist of genetic clones of Django, and the overall SQ is top notch for a jazz recording, really), and Nathan Milstein, both violinists.

Anyway, I too am a big fan of NHOP, Mingus (my all time jazz fav probably, I just love his stuff, but sometimes he gets a little wacky out of tune for a classical ear), Brown, Haden, etc. One of many recordings that grew legs in the middle of the night and ran away from me, is this one here:

A great jazz recording of three legends of different eras, is this one here:

I've lost track of how many albums I have with Haden.

Some people really love La Faro's stuff, in his short lived genius, with Bill Evans.

NHOP is probably the most in tune of the guys I'm familiar with.

Oh, I recently heard on the radio, a the coooolest version of So What by Marcus Miller. I'm not even into this style much, but I'm seriously considering buying a copy. I think there may be multiple cd's with it, not sure, but I think this one has it.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Man, I recently saw him perform! 81 years old! And he's still just killing it! The only other guys I know of who can perform like that as octogenarians are Stephane Grappelli (get his 85th bday concert in Carnegie Hall; the opening act seems to consist of genetic clones of Django, and the overall SQ is top notch for a jazz recording, really), and Nathan Milstein, both violinists.

Anyway, I too am a big fan of NHOP, Mingus (my all time jazz fav probably, I just love his stuff, but sometimes he gets a little wacky out of tune for a classical ear), Brown, Haden, etc. One of many recordings that grew legs in the middle of the night and ran away from me, is this one here:

A great jazz recording of three legends of different eras, is this one here:

I've lost track of how many albums I have with Haden.

Some people really love La Faro's stuff, in his short lived genius, with Bill Evans.

NHOP is probably the most in tune of the guys I'm familiar with.

Oh, I recently heard on the radio, a the coooolest version of So What by Marcus Miller. I'm not even into this style much, but I'm seriously considering buying a copy. I think there may be multiple cd's with it, not sure, but I think this one has it.

Ya, I've got a fair amount of Oscar's stuff, and much of it is time transcendent. I have a feeling they'll b studying his work at the University level 200 years from now, along side many of the other compositional masters of this genre.

DJ

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Although she is not considered a Jazz Artist. Her music surely does have influences Fiona Apple's 2nd CD "When The Pawn" and also Her Debut "Tital" have great bass along with her incredible voice/musicianship.
http://www.amazon.com/When-Pawn-Fiona-Apple/dp/B00002MZ4W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1329049974&sr=8-3
and
http://www.amazon.com/Tidal-Fiona-Apple/dp/B000002BE9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329049974&sr=8-1
Various Artist: http://www.amazon.com/Best-Yet-Come-Songs-Coleman/dp/B002DYQNS4/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1329049974&sr=8-14

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
It depends on your taste.

For mellow bluesy jazz I like Chris Rea's Hoffner Blue Notes . It the only album that I'm aware of that he plays bass as lead. Unfortunately it's almost impossible to find. I think it's by far his best album, and sadly The Return Of The Fabulous Hoffner Blue Note is nowhere near as good.

Marcus Miller is always wonderful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brett A

Brett A

Audioholic
One of the clearest, tightest, most accurate sounding upright bass' I have on record is Ornette Coleman - Change of the Century.

(The bassist is Charlie Hayden)

Another recommendation would be The Audience with Betty Carter. A live club date with prominent bass in the mix.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Jose Roberto Bertrami - Things Are Different Nice Bass on this one!:eek:

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Mark Whitfield is a badass. 7th Ave Stroll is one of my all time faves.

I've noticed Amazon does that occasionally. I't's almost like they get hackt or something and prices drop by half on certain items.

DJ

W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
Hello,

To second some of what has already been said:

A lot of Bill Evans Trio recordings, specifically the live ones, have a lot of good bass work. Eddie Gomez is a little notey, and tends to blow changes, but his technique is fabulous. Scott L has a very musical way of playing.

For something more modern, Avishai Cohen has a lot of tunes that emphasize the bass's presence. Check out Lyla.

Esperanza spalding also is very bass focused. She is much "pop"-ier though.

A lot of the Dave Holland 5tet and 6tet stuff is FANTASTIC. Dave may not be out front all the time, but the rhythmic and melodic work he does is fantastic. plus you get to listen to people like Chris Potter, Robin Eubanks, and Nate Smith tear it up over odd meter.

The Clayton Brothers recordings offer a lot for the bassist. It's not so much "out front," like the earlier-mentioned Eddie Gomez, but it's extremely satisfying to the ears.

Anything with Ron Carter tends to have some more attention given to the bass (more like ron carter likes attention). Check out his trios.

Bobby Broom's Guitar trios are fantastic as well. Dennis Carole is a beast!

Are you looking more for solo work? Like Christian McBride shredding over bop changes?

W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
Also, check out Song X - Pat Metheny and Ornette. Can't remember if it's Charlie Haden or Dave Holland on that.

Dave Holland:
-Critical mass
-Octet
-Big Band

Listen to ALL the Bill Evans at the vanguard recordings.

Something that might be overlooked is Jimmy Garrison's work on some of the live at the vanguard recordings (for the quartet, obviously). Check out Chasin' The Train, and pay attention to the counterpoint they develop.

Bobby Broom's - "Song and Dance," and "The Way I Play" are also fantastic.

If you like Sonny Rollins, you need to check out "The Bridge" and Sunday at the Vanguard.

That will be all,

I hope this helped!

jp_over

jp_over

Full Audioholic
Despite this being an old thread, it has been fun to see all the responses. Now that I've got a bit more time on my hands (for now at least), I plan on going through the recommendations more thoroughly. In the mean time, I've purchased Marcus Miller's "Silver Rain" (HDtracks.com) at Sholling's suggestion. However, as I only have some el-cheapo "Audionic" speakers that may fail any day, I plan on waiting to listen to the album until these arrive in about 2 weeks:M520 USB.jpg:D

Fuego

Fuego

Enthusiast
Niels Henning Orsted Pedersen;To a Brother

Jaco Pastorius;Jaco

Paul Chambers;Whims of Chambers

Marc Johnson;2x4

John Pattitucc;Now

Sam Jones with Niels Henning Orsted Pedersen; Double Bass

and my new personal favorite, only available as a Hi-Rez download directly from the Sound Liaison label:

Paul Berner Band;Road to Memphis(Sound Liaison)

Fuego

Fuego

Enthusiast
Niels Henning Orsted Pedersen, To a Brother[video]https://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC0Q3ywwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DBeE EG-hkLBA%26feature%3Dkp&ei=8qwoU7HCB8e_ygPVuYKQBg&usg=AFQjCNHJ-i80qKAXhY1ePEOE1EsnpnUlfw&sig2=w4kai0ad6BJCBZymK5l7aA&bvm=bv.62922401,d.bGQ[/video]

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis