It's official- Star Wars Trilogy on DVD

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>Lucas has announced a release date in Sept '04 for the Star Wars trilogy on DVD. &nbsp;It will be only the '97 special editions and only available as a three disc set (like the Indiana Jones ones). &nbsp;New commentary will be provided by members of the original cast &amp; a bunch of extras are said to be included.</font>

<font color='#000080'>I was tempted to post this as a home page article. The REAL question is - how many versions will there be? I predict 2 more. One more with extra stuff added, and a final with all 6 episodes in one box.</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>There's s'posed to be boatloads of extras on this one, including a new commentary track by the original cast members, some behinds the scene stuff and possibly a link to a special webpage. &nbsp;I'm hoping there'll be another version someday with just the original movies as they were released in '77 on.</font>

B

BroonsBane

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Finally! In a perect world we would be purchasing the original theatrical release versions this September but alas...we don't always get what we want, however, I'll take whatever version they are currently offering!!

The set comes out a mere 4 days before my birthday. I haven't anticipated a birthday present like this since I was 10!

Luke: &quot;I'm not afraid.&quot;

Yoda: &quot;You will be...you will be.&quot;

Priceless!!!! &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>Sweet Stars Wars better be in DTS:ES

~Bob</font>

A. Vivaldi

A. Vivaldi

Audioholic
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Rob Babcock : <font color='#000000'>Lucas has announced a release date in Sept '04 for the Star Wars trilogy on DVD.  It will be only the '97 special editions and only available as a three disc set (like the Indiana Jones ones).  New commentary will be provided by members of the original cast &amp; a bunch of extras are said to be included.</font>
<font color='#000000'>I new they were gonna do that...put out the stupid special editons first. Here's a great idea! Cut down on some of the tons of bonus stuff that you know are going to be on there, and simply sell the original and special editon films all in one huge package, But why do that when they can make a killing knowing that fanatical fans will buy two different box sets, with a hefty price tag of course. Sorry Mr. Lucas, I won't be buying just yet.
</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>LucasArts does not use the DTS-ES technology. &nbsp;THX-EX is based on the DD-EX platform, with extended, full range rears matrixed into the surround channel code. &nbsp;LucasArts feels that the additional disc space needed to encode an additional rear channel, in addition to the already higher bit DTS sampling rate requires too much disc space. &nbsp;As a result, picture quality suffers. &nbsp;LucasArts is committed to THX standards, and feels that DD-EX acceptably meets these standards. &nbsp;THX is not only about sound, however. &nbsp;Picture quality is also of paramount importance. &nbsp;Lucas also wants to add a director's commentary. &nbsp;Given the current limitations of the DVD medium, LucasArts does not feel that the addition of a DTS soudntrack or a DTS-ES soundtrack is worth the other, aforementioned tradeoffs.

These new discs will be mastered at the highest possible bitrate. &nbsp;Be assured that, with properly certified home theater equipment, the DD-EX soundtrack that LucasArts is currently working on will please you.</font>

A. Vivaldi

A. Vivaldi

Audioholic
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Guest : <font color='#000000'>LucasArts does not use the DTS-ES technology.  THX-EX is based on the DD-EX platform, with extended, full range rears matrixed into the surround channel code.  LucasArts feels that the additional disc space needed to encode an additional rear channel, in addition to the already higher bit DTS sampling rate requires too much disc space.  As a result, picture quality suffers.  LucasArts is committed to THX standards, and feels that DD-EX acceptably meets these standards.  THX is not only about sound, however.  Picture quality is also of paramount importance.  Lucas also wants to add a director's commentary.  Given the current limitations of the DVD medium, LucasArts does not feel that the addition of a DTS soudntrack or a DTS-ES soundtrack is worth the other, aforementioned tradeoffs.

These new discs will be mastered at the highest possible bitrate.  Be assured that, with properly certified home theater equipment, the DD-EX soundtrack that LucasArts is currently working on will please you.</font>
<font color='#000000'>Are you a representative of Lucas Arts? Tell George for me that as soon as he stops making movies for eight year olds, and starts respecting original artwork, that I'll start to give him my money again. &nbsp;
</font>

U

Unregistered

Although I prefer DTS sound, especially DTS ES, George Lucas does a remarkable job with Dolby Digital EX through Skywalker Sound as evidenced with AOTC. I've no doubt that this new DVD Trilogy (or old one repackaged) will look and sound awesome.

I prefer to see Lucas' original intent, which was the new releases with extended scenes.

Can't wait for this trio to come out.

Just get rid of the stupid "Greedo shoots first" addition to Star Wars and I'll be happy as a clam. That's really my only beef with his revisions. It's just stupid.

J

jjadams

Enthusiast
It's Offical Star Wars is coming out on DVD

I have a pre-order in for the 4 disc wide screen for $41 and change, I want to see Princess Lea again as young as she was and ever will be in those films.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis