Issues with surround sound on Denon AVR X4100W

G

ghost_rider

Audiophyte
I tried doing a 5.1 Speaker setup with my Denon X4100W avr, I managed to connect all the 5 speakers and then get them setup using the Audyssey mic. Everything was fine. Then after setup during playback when i select any of the surround settings, the surround 2 channels will give unnatural static and crackling sound coming from the speakers but very little audio to no audio. However when I switch to Stereo mode then its fine. even stereo mode with just the center channel also works fine without any noise.

I tried with different sources, HDMI, Bluetooth, Spotify. all same results.

I tried swapping speakers, cables. Even this same speaker and cables work in the stereo channel but not in the surround channel. The speakers I am using are definitive technology Mythos Tower, Mythos 3, Mythos 6, Mythos Gem.

I just bought a new projector and setup the screen and now this!!

Please help

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Did you try a reset of the avr? I'd try just a soft reset (unplugging it for a while) first, then if no change a full microprocessor/factory reset as described in your manual (but you will lose the Audyssey settings, so you might want to back that up first). So this has worked for years with no issues before? Or is it a used avr?

G

ghost_rider

Audiophyte
Did you try a reset of the avr? I'd try just a soft reset (unplugging it for a while) first, then if no change a full microprocessor/factory reset as described in your manual (but you will lose the Audyssey settings, so you might want to back that up first). So this has worked for years with no issues before? Or is it a used avr?
Yes i tried both a soft and hard factory reset, no luck.

I had this issue from when i bought it 5 years ago. I bought it new. but that time i thought it might have been my speakers or my cables as back then i had a small room and could not really do a proper 5.1 or 7.1. So i gave up soon thinking later i will try it properly after i move to a bigger home.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes i tried both a soft and hard factory reset, no luck.

I had this issue from when i bought it 5 years ago. I bought it new. but that time i thought it might have been my speakers or my cables as back then i had a small room and could not really do a proper 5.1 or 7.1. So i gave up soon thinking later i will try it properly after i move to a bigger home.
Too bad it's out of warranty now....as it sounds like an ongoing issue.

G

ghost_rider

Audiophyte
Too bad it's out of warranty now....as it sounds like an ongoing issue.
Seems so. The problem is I am located away from any of the denon repair or authorized dealers. Due to work I travel alot so my plan was to buy a new one in my next trip but cause of covid that has been halted for a while.

Any way i can repair this thing?

G

ghost_rider

Audiophyte
If somebody could tell me if I open it up where to check or something, any specific location or board? I can see multiple PCB boards stalked up in here

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If somebody could tell me if I open it up where to check or something, any specific location or board? I can see multiple PCB boards stalked up in here
Doubt that will do you any good if you're having to ask the question....I feel for ya on the lack of local folk around still servicing electronics but you could always ship it to one if not local....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
You won't be able to fix that fault, if anyone can. The fault since it is on both surround channels is probably in the audio processing board. It makes it being in the amp board much less likely. A quick search shows that, your particular model seems to have been known for a high incidence of a variety of noise problems involving the surround channels. Because of the way receivers are put together service is usually confined to replacing a board. Since this seems to be an issue for that model, it is highly likely there will be no replacement boards left.

Does that receiver allow you to send the surround to the rear back channels instead? That is worth a try but will not solve your issue unless the problem is in the power amp section.

My guess is that you need a new receiver.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You won't be able to fix that fault, if anyone can. The fault since it is on both surround channels is probably in the audio processing board.
Yeah, like you said it - IF anyone can!

No guarantee even if they replaced the Main Audio-Video board.

That's what they did to my AVP-A1DHCI - replaced the AV Board for $1,000. Didn't fix anything.

Thank goodness Best Buy did not charging me $1,000.

G

ghost_rider

Audiophyte
Sorry for the late reply guys. But good news, I managed to repair it! :D

I thought since I dont have any support so might as well try it. My initial guess was may be something got burnt or a weak solder joint then i might have a chance of tracing that component and give it a try. So I opened the box with much anticipation and much to my surprise there was a thick ribbon cable that connects the amp unit to the digital processing unit, that cable was not fully attached. I took it out, brushed it and reattached it, and it WORKED!

all good now :D

thanks for the help, I feel so lucky

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Sorry for the late reply guys. But good news, I managed to repair it! :D

I thought since I dont have any support so might as well try it. My initial guess was may be something got burnt or a weak solder joint then i might have a chance of tracing that component and give it a try. So I opened the box with much anticipation and much to my surprise there was a thick ribbon cable that connects the amp unit to the digital processing unit, that cable was not fully attached. I took it out, brushed it and reattached it, and it WORKED!

all good now :D

thanks for the help, I feel so lucky
Yes, you are lucky. I wonder if model of receiver have a bad connector here. Usually those connectors have a frim lock in. May be this is the reason for what I seemed to find, was an excess incidence of problems with this receiver. I'm glad you posted back and thanks for that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis