Is this used Plasma worth buying?

Braddock

Braddock

Junior Audioholic
It was a really brief look....and most of the stuff connected with the model were parts. $900 does seem high, tho. I was looking maybe to take the step to 4k but for another set almost identical to the one I already had years of experience with for $200 was a no-brainer for now. I'm fine with 1080p for a while longer. Don't know what to tell you about the Kuro, have not had even a hiccup with my PN59D8000 and neither did the guy selling the 7000. Could well happen down the line, but....

Good luck in your search....I think it's a good time to search out the plasmas people are giving up on for 4k now....
Thanks for the info. I found a Panny VT60 model for $400, but it had already sold. For a 3-4yr old set, that was a deal, but oh well. I ended up finding an Elite 150FD 60" for $300. For me, right now, 4k just isnt worth it right now. Im like you, Im happy with 1080p. Maybe in 5-8yrs Ill get a 4k when thats the standard hopefully.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for the info. I found a Panny VT60 model for $400, but it had already sold. For a 3-4yr old set, that was a deal, but oh well. I ended up finding an Elite 150FD 60" for $300. For me, right now, 4k just isnt worth it right now. Im like you, Im happy with 1080p. Maybe in 5-8yrs Ill get a 4k when thats the standard hopefully.
4k is the standard, but the sets we currently have as options just aren't that great. I love my VT60, but it still doesn't support BT.2020. Sure, most broadcast TV isn't 4k and won't be for some time, but it's still the standard.

Those prices for those TVs are awesome. Hope the Pioneer works out for you.

Braddock

Braddock

Junior Audioholic
4k is the standard, but the sets we currently have as options just aren't that great. I love my VT60, but it still doesn't support BT.2020. Sure, most broadcast TV isn't 4k and won't be for some time, but it's still the standard.

Those prices for those TVs are awesome. Hope the Pioneer works out for you.
What I mean by "standard" is when everything, or 90% of all programming, all BD, all cameras and everything else is 4k or higher and the cable company doesnt charge you extra for that service. About the only thin I use 4K on is my drone and I do the editing on my PC. Even though my TV doesnt support 4k, the footage still looks better on the 1080p TV than an actual 1080p video. Once the prices stabalize and get a bit cheaper, well a lot cheaper, Ill get a 4k display.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
What I mean by "standard" is when everything, or 90% of all programming, all BD, all cameras and everything else is 4k or higher and the cable company doesnt charge you extra for that service. About the only thin I use 4K on is my drone and I do the editing on my PC. Even though my TV doesnt support 4k, the footage still looks better on the 1080p TV than an actual 1080p video. Once the prices stabalize and get a bit cheaper, well a lot cheaper, Ill get a 4k display.
True, but pretty much everything with the exception of cable and OTA is 4k at this point.

FWIW I got a 70" 4k Vizio for under $1k. That's pretty cheap. Not saying you should by any means, but just so you're aware that prices are actually pretty low. You really aren't paying a premium for 4k panels.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
True, but pretty much everything with the exception of cable and OTA is 4k at this point.

FWIW I got a 70" 4k Vizio for under $1k. That's pretty cheap. Not saying you should by any means, but just so you're aware that prices are actually pretty low. You really aren't paying a premium for 4k panels.
Majority of blurays are still 1080p. I can't use 4k streaming as bandwidth requirements are too high too. I'm with @Braddock in that waiting is easy still and not missing much by doing so. I was thinking about it but don't really want an LCD set either, altho maybe with full array/dimming options. Hopefully OLED continues to improve both in reliability and price :)

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
The only plasma's I would consider are the late model Kuro Pioneer's or the Z Series Panny's.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Because the late model Kuro's had the best black levels of any plasma. Pioneer sold some of their technology to Panasonic a couple of years before they stopped manufacturing plasma panels. Panasonic ended up with about half of the patents used to make Kuro's look so good. Many of those patents were implemented in the Panny Z Series.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Because the late model Kuro's had the best black levels of any plasma. Pioneer sold some of their technology to Panasonic a couple of years before they stopped manufacturing plasma panels. Panasonic ended up with about half of the patents used to make Kuro's look so good. Many of those patents were implemented in the Panny Z Series.
Still, the black levels of the Samsung plasmas were right on the heels of the Panasonic plasmas....and better than most other techs altogether.

Braddock

Braddock

Junior Audioholic
The only plasma's I would consider are the late model Kuro Pioneer's or the Z Series Panny's.
I mispoke in an earlier post, I found a 151FD, not a 150, for $300. It has 8,023 hours on it. Pretty low for a 10 1/2 yr old TV. My 5020 of the same age has 18,700 on it. The 151 has 70% less power ups than my 5020. If it lasts me 3 yrs, Id call that a win for a used TV.

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
my parents have a panasonic 60st30
how to check hours on the tv?

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
I found this site while searching for used Panasonics.

https://www.backmarket.com

At the time, they had several plasmas, two Pannys and the prices were comparable to used Ebay items. Difference is, Back Market has a six month warranty. At the moment, it seems they have none. I have not purchased anything from them to date so I cannot attest to the quality or service. They do grade each unit for overall condition and I like the idea of refurbishing vs just throwing away. May be worth a look, up to you. Good luck with finding your new display.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
With my Panasonic Plasma which i bought 9 years ago, the picture is still amazing, but I'm starting to have HDMI handshaking problems with it.
Follow-up report:

I finally found out that the Panasonic Plasma set is still operating flawlessly after 9 years!

The HDMI handshaking problem I was having was with the Marantz ANT/SAT HDMI input. I changed the input assignment for the cable box and, no more problem!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis