Is this too good to be true?

B

Blair387

Audioholic Intern
Hey everyone,

So I just happened to be browsing my local Craigslist online, and I came across someone who is selling a brand new unopened Emotiva xmc-2 processor and also an Emotiva xpa-11 gen 3 amp, all for $3900.

Now this seems like it's almost too good to be true? Because that X MC - 2 alone sells for 2999 on emotiva is website. And these are both in box and never opened and he's selling both of them for only 3900 including the 11 channel amp?

And I've been doing a lot of research lately I'm thinking about doing separates because all these years I've been just running everything off of and AVR to power my speakers. Now I've really had my heart set on one of the new monolith amps I've heard nothing but good things about them in the build quality, but this is almost too good of a deal to pass up?

Thoughts?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Is the Seller Local? Is it someone you could go back to if there is an issue? How much left or is there any Warranty left from the Manufacturer? How much less then New are they, and is it worth it not to have Customer Support?
Only you can answer. A Good Deal is a State of Mind

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Highly depends on what you think of EMO.

Some would buy at $3900, some would never buy even at $900.

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Hey everyone,

So I just happened to be browsing my local Craigslist online, and I came across someone who is selling a brand new unopened Emotiva xmc-2 processor and also an Emotiva xpa-11 gen 3 amp, all for $3900.

Now this seems like it's almost too good to be true? Because that X MC - 2 alone sells for 2999 on emotiva is website. And these are both in box and never opened and he's selling both of them for only 3900 including the 11 channel amp?

And I've been doing a lot of research lately I'm thinking about doing separates because all these years I've been just running everything off of and AVR to power my speakers. Now I've really had my heart set on one of the new monolith amps I've heard nothing but good things about them in the build quality, but this is almost too good of a deal to pass up?

Thoughts?
That is a great deal! I would ask him why he was selling them and how long he's had them. For warranty purposes. Emotiva doesn't have a very good customer support system. So while the price is great and the products will do a fine job, just hope they don't break on you.

B

Blair387

Audioholic Intern
Well I responded back to the seller and asked why exactly are they selling them especially since they've never even been opened? But they didn't really go into much detail about that, they just said that they can't use them.

And I asked how long they've had these for, and I was told a few months and they have almost a full warranty remaining.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Well I responded back to the seller and asked why exactly are they selling them especially since they've never even been opened? But they didn't really go into much detail about that, they just said that they can't use them.

And I asked how long they've had these for, and I was told a few months and they have almost a full warranty remaining.
It always amazes me when people purchase something and then sell them right away and use that excuse "I just can't use them" or "they were too powerful for me and I need to downgrade" Then why did they spend a few thousand to begin with with out researching that stuff before hand?

They could be b-stock and he's reselling them. He could've also got them from someone else for super cheap and reselling them to break even. Too many question marks with vague responses.

If you want to take a chance on them see if you can haggle with the price a bit. Maybe see if he'll go down to $3500.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
It always amazes me when people purchase something and then sell them right away and use that excuse "I just can't use them" or "they were too powerful for me and I need to downgrade" Then why did they spend a few thousand to begin with with out researching that stuff before hand?

They could be b-stock and he's reselling them. He could've also got them from someone else for super cheap and reselling them to break even. Too many question marks with vague responses.

If you want to take a chance on them see if you can haggle with the price a bit. Maybe see if he'll go down to $3500.
I have gotten into various projects over the years, bought the parts, then as the project progressed, realized that I needed to go a different direction. So, it happens. Granted, I'm usually talking about $1-200, nowhere near this price point. Also, sometimes people spend big $ then buyer's remorse sets in quickly.

But, on to this particular item.......NEW/SEALED always tends to bother me a bit when buying from someone other than the original vendor! In this case, I personally prefer the condition to at least be "New, opened for testing/inspection and pics only".

That way, at least you are certain that you are buying what you think you are buying, and not buying a box of rocks! It has happened, there are crooks and scammers out there.

Also, I have personally sold an item that was new and sealed, then the buyer came back and said the item was defective out of the box! That taught me my lesson. Perhaps it was defective out of the box, or perhaps the buyer damaged it and claimed it was defective, and I missed my opportunity to verify for myself. Even if the item is new/sealed, I will have to personally test it before selling it so that I am absolutely certain of the condition before doing business.

B

Blair387

Audioholic Intern
I asked the seller why he bothered to buy such expensive products and never bother to open it and is choosing to sell them again? His response was, that his room is too small and he got overzealous when purchasing it and is going to stick with his original system?

I know I still have more questions that need to be answered so I asked him where he purchased it from and if he's reselling it by chance. Cuz that's why I listed the title of this thread as is too good to be true because something seems kind of fishy?

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I asked the seller why he bothered to buy such expensive products and never bother to open it and is choosing to sell them again? His response was, that his room is too small and he got overzealous when purchasing it and is going to stick with his original system?

I know I still have more questions that need to be answered so I asked him where he purchased it from and if he's reselling it by chance. Cuz that's why I listed the title of this thread as is too good to be true because something seems kind of fishy?
This sounds like stolen items to me.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
This sounds like stolen items to me.
I agree. If you buy something you are uncertain about and the price is way low, you can be charged with receiving stolen goods. That is a serious offense. It really is a golden rule never to buy goods like that without a cast iron paper trail. If he can not prove to you that he bought those items legitimately, then DO NOT buy them. The risk is too great.

If it were me I would ask for serial numbers and documentation, and if he can't provide that, I would make the police aware.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Also, the warranty on such products is most likely not transferable. Moreover, Emotiva won't repair a product for which the warranty has expired. I would just forget about it. It's just too good to be true!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Don't know what you have for speakers right now, but $3900 will get you some very nice ones that can give you a next level experience in sound quality...

B

Blair387

Audioholic Intern
So I asked him some of those hard-hitting questions to tell him that I would like to have proof of any sort of paperwork with receipt or manuals or warranty cards Etc.

I told the seller that I'm really not trying to offend him in any way but I've been burned before in the past and there's a lot of shady people out there.

This was his latest response to my email......

Yes all the paperwork is in order, I understand your hesitation but I have several people interested. Neither box has been opened, the xmc-2 was the result of their trade in program. So it is as fresh as fresh can be, the amp I bought locally and again unopened.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So I asked him some of those hard-hitting questions to tell him that I would like to have proof of any sort of paperwork with receipt or manuals or warranty cards Etc.

I told the seller that I'm really not trying to offend him in any way but I've been burned before in the past and there's a lot of shady people out there.

Yes all the paperwork is in order, I understand your hesitation but I have several people interested. Neither box has been opened, the xmc-2 was the result of their trade in program. So it is as fresh as fresh can be, the amp I bought locally and again unopened.
So what do you have for speakers right now?

B

Blair387

Audioholic Intern
For quite a few years now I've had just a paradigm Millenia 20 Trio on the front left Center and front right. And for my surround I have the ADP 390 is which is a dipole surround speaker. And for my sub I have an old SVS PC12 I belive.

I used to have 4 in ceiling paradigm speakers as well that I used for rear surrounds and two atmos channels. So I had a 7.1.2 system total.

But I had to sell that house earlier this year and I left the ceiling speakers in place. So right now, I'm currently living temporarily with some family, so I only have my original 5.1 paradigms with SVS sub.

But I'm really doing a lot of research in a major overhaul to my next system. New speakers all around, leaning towards some massive JTR speakers and sub. I hear nothing but real good things about them. And all these years I've only had an AVR to power everything, but I'm really considering going the separates route. I've heard that using an external amp really does wonders for your speakers instead of an av receiver?

The last couple years I've been running the Yamaha rx-a3070.

Sorry for the long winded response.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General

I think it's time to move on. Q/A has been had, if you still feel nervous about it, then it's not mean't to be. There will be plenty of other stuff out there. Check places like Audiogon. They have plenty of used stuff for reasonable prices.

B

Blair387

Audioholic Intern
My original plan that I've been thinking about the last but they're so was probably just going to stick with my Yamaha AVR but I'm really liking from what I'm seeing any reviews on the Monoprice monolith amplifier. I know they're fairly new to the game in regards to speakers and amps but I know the components that they use on the inside are supposed to be really good quality and last a long time. So my future plan is to have a full 7.2.4 setup and I was going to probably get the monolith 7 Channel amplifier, which Powers all 7 Channels with 200 Watts. Which is pretty darn good. And then I was going to use the 4 Atmos channels powered by my Yamaha AVR.

But then I just stumbled across this deal last night on Craigslist selling the emotiva processor and the 11 channel amp combo in one. And I just thought it looked like a pretty sweet deal. But from what I've read and looking at the specs on the amps from emotiva, after the first three front channels, they drop down pretty significantly to like 65 Watts for the remaining channels? Which is a big difference from 200 watts per channel with the monolith. And from what I hear it's always better to overpower your speakers rather than under power them. Especially if I end up getting some massive jtr speakers. But I know they're pretty darn efficient speakers and don't need a whole lot of power but it doesn't hurt to have too much LOL

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Too good to be true? If you have to ask....

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
My original plan that I've been thinking about the last but they're so was probably just going to stick with my Yamaha AVR but I'm really liking from what I'm seeing any reviews on the Monoprice monolith amplifier. I know they're fairly new to the game in regards to speakers and amps but I know the components that they use on the inside are supposed to be really good quality and last a long time. So my future plan is to have a full 7.2.4 setup and I was going to probably get the monolith 7 Channel amplifier, which Powers all 7 Channels with 200 Watts. Which is pretty darn good. And then I was going to use the 4 Atmos channels powered by my Yamaha AVR.

But then I just stumbled across this deal last night on Craigslist selling the emotiva processor and the 11 channel amp combo in one. And I just thought it looked like a pretty sweet deal. But from what I've read and looking at the specs on the amps from emotiva, after the first three front channels, they drop down pretty significantly to like 65 Watts for the remaining channels? Which is a big difference from 200 watts per channel with the monolith. And from what I hear it's always better to overpower your speakers rather than under power them. Especially if I end up getting some massive jtr speakers. But I know they're pretty darn efficient speakers and don't need a whole lot of power but it doesn't hurt to have too much LOL
The XMC-2 is a 16 channel processor. It would be more than what you're looking for. I would keep my eye on the Yamaha AVR's. price discounts will be coming since their new lineup will be dropping soon. Lots of Yamaha lovers on these forums. The monolith 7 channel amp is one of the best bang for buck amps on the market. If you can get your hands on one before they sellout again.

If you are going to look into JTR speakers you should check out some class D amps. Those speakers don't need crazy watts to sound good. I mean, it doesn't hurt the either if you did feed them tons. Check out Cherry amps. Or look for ATI's Class D. They are some of the best on the market.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis