Is this speaker as good as they say?

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
My Paradigms have an excellent graph and not my favorites...
that's just because you don't want to eat your vegetables doesn't mean they're not good for you!

A bad speaker is a bad speaker, and these Zu audio things are just awful. No speaker should have that type of FR graph. An FR graph is not the only measurement that makes a speaker good, but it's the first one to look at simply because it's the foundation for a realistic presentation.

A speaker's job is to reproduce. If you like your music chopped and screwed, go get a DJ Turntable.

I am not trying to "protect" my purchase in the least bit. You think I give a crap about whether you bought what I bought? I'd be way more excited if you bought something completely different that's good than if you bought what I bought. I don't need to justify my own speaker purchases to anyone, because I know that my speakers do well, if not exceptionally, at what they're designed to do. If my speakers had that kind of jig saw puzzle frequency response graph I'd sell them this instant!

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I am curious. What don't you like about the Studio 20's? Perhaps it's something that can be corrected electronically.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
This is why- http://www.madisound.com/store/index.php?cPath=45_241

The driver diameter is based on the application- if it's for a small box designed properly for that driver and will be near a corner and a wall, a 3" is fine but for filling a room, it's obviously not.

Here's a 12" "full-range" driver that sells for $1675 and comes in at about -20dB by the time it gets to 20KHz. I would hardly call that "full-range" but I guess it's a matter of how it's defined.
highigh, you just countered my points with drivers you know about. What about the driver I shopwed you in the link which is claimed capabel of 20KHz?

I'm not saying single full range drivers are the way to go. There are design trade-offs in both single full range drivers and those with multi speaker crossover equipped designs. The speakers that the OP were looking at it are poorly designed and its clear from the measurements that the clained full range driver is exactly NOT what they claim it to be; ie. its not a full range driver. I want to avoid the general dismal that goes on in this forum to different approaches. There are examples of good speakers with full range drivers as there are bad speakers with multiple drivers and crossovers.

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
Paradigms

I am curious. What don't you like about the Studio 20's? Perhaps it's something that can be corrected electronically.
I am 65/35 HT vs music and the Klipsch just great for HT....I bought the Paradigms for 2 channel music only and simply use on the "B" speaker setting. They appear to have excellent build quality and I like them with Jazz and Classical at higher volume levels. But I frankly find myself ignoring them in favor of the Klipsch at modest listening levels. I find the Klipsch more dynamic at lower levels for both music and HT. Perhaps its partly a function of my hearing rolling off at age 61. So, I dont dislike anything about the Paradigms per se. I think I'm bored with most ported speakers in general.....almost like mid sized car design done by computer in a wind tunnel that ensures they look and function about the same. I may try a sealed suspension type next to revive my Advent days or perhaps some old Cornwalls to revisit the 2 channel experience....

R

RMRM

Audioholic Intern
If you can check out the ATC SCM 7 I did A/B the two in the same shop its a liitle but sounded big. ATC is a sealed speaker needs a bit more power but at lower listen levels shouldn't be a problem. Have a good one:D

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
My Paradigms have an excellent graph and not my favorites...
It's likely you could have defective speaker(s) or it's your listening environment or other equipment.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I am 65/35 HT vs music and the Klipsch just great for HT....I bought the Paradigms for 2 channel music only and simply use on the "B" speaker setting. They appear to have excellent build quality and I like them with Jazz and Classical at higher volume levels. But I frankly find myself ignoring them in favor of the Klipsch at modest listening levels. I find the Klipsch more dynamic at lower levels for both music and HT. Perhaps its partly a function of my hearing rolling off at age 61. So, I dont dislike anything about the Paradigms per se. I think I'm bored with most ported speakers in general.....almost like mid sized car design done by computer in a wind tunnel that ensures they look and function about the same. I may try a sealed suspension type next to revive my Advent days or perhaps some old Cornwalls to revisit the 2 channel experience....
Why not build a pair of Unity Horns or Gedlees

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
Why not build a pair of Unity Horns or Gedlees
I barely have the energy to build more than 2 vodka tonics these days....guess I'm an end user type at this point...and the Cornwalls are a known entity that I already like.....just need the wife to approve larger wood boxes...

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
Suspension speakers....

If you can check out the ATC SCM 7 I did A/B the two in the same shop its a liitle but sounded big. ATC is a sealed speaker needs a bit more power but at lower listen levels shouldn't be a problem. Have a good one:D
Thanks, interesting speakers.....need to get out my metric conversion chart to determine size, etc....

http://www.atcloudspeakers.co.uk/scm19.php

R

RMRM

Audioholic Intern
That ATC SCM 19 has a 3" midrange grafted into the 6" driver very nice. I have the SCM40's. I like the ATC speakers but if you take say 150mm divide by 25 that will give you the inches have a good one.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I barely have the energy to build more than 2 vodka tonics these days....guess I'm an end user type at this point...and the Cornwalls are a known entity that I already like.....just need the wife to approve larger wood boxes...
In the case of the Gedlee, it's basically assembled, I think all you have to do is a bit of installing, painting, and maybe a sprinkle of soldering. It has a proprietary box that it ships with.

E

erslageorge

Audiophyte
Sorry, i couldn't get what you are asking for, would you please mention the speakers brand. If you 'll clear the name of speaker then i can vote it either good o bad.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sorry, i couldn't get what you are asking for, would you please mention the speakers brand. If you 'll clear the name of speaker then i can vote it either good o bad.
If you clicked on the link, or even looked at the link, you would know its Zu Audio.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis