L

Lechatcurieux

Enthusiast
Hello Audiophiles, I have 2 speakers each with 2 banana plugs (?) and wanted to try and connect them to my Samsung TV. I’m in over my head trying to figure out what I need. Do I need a banana splitter (lol is that a thing?) then something to put that to the optical plug on the Samsung box?
Here is a link to the Samsung connect box, I keep getting told my photos are too large. Getting a headache Advice appreciated x X x

L

Lechatcurieux

Enthusiast
Photos are too large for the server....gah...they are tiny

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
The audio out and optical audio out simply send a signal out, they are meant to be plugged into an amplifier which then sends a powered signal to your speakers. What speakers are you using?

L

Lechatcurieux

Enthusiast
Hi, Definitive Mythos 4. I found them in the loft and they have a lovely sound, thought I’d use them with the TV but no idea how to go about it

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
At minimum you need an integrated amplifier which means it has a pre amp and amplifier in one unit.

L

Lechatcurieux

Enthusiast
Ok. Blimey. Okay so they were part of a set with a linn Classik CD player. (I’m scared to ask a potentially dumb question haha) but does that count as an amplifier? I mean could the speakers be plugged into the CD player and then into the Tv?

L

Lechatcurieux

Enthusiast
I appreciate your input greatly thanks. This stuff just fries my brain I’m afraid

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You have passive speakers, i.e. they need separate amplification rather than it being built into the speaker itself. CD players don't generally have amplifiers for speakers included, doubt yours does in any case. You need an amplfier, can take a few forms like receiver or integrated amp or possibly even directly to a power amp depending on the controls of the player.

L

Lechatcurieux

Enthusiast
You have passive speakers, i.e. they need separate amplification rather than it being built into the speaker itself. CD players don't generally have amplifiers for speakers included, doubt yours does in any case. You need an amplfier, can take a few forms like receiver or integrated amp or possibly even directly to a power amp depending on the controls of the player.
Thanks the phrase passive speakers makes things clear. So I’m not understanding how they play when they plug into the CD player.
I guess I don’t see why they would play from a CD player but not from a TV.
This is very interesting!

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Thanks the phrase passive speakers makes things clear. So I’m not understanding how they play when they plug into the CD player.
They can't play from the cd player alone. You're going to need either an integrated amplifier, a receiver, or an amplifier and preamplifier. Your best bet and least expensive would probably be a receiver or an integrated amplifier if you don't plan on building a "home theater" in the future.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The cd player must have had built in amplification. Your tv does not.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What particular cd player was able to power passive speakers? Did you use the cd player with these speakers before? The Mythos 4 I see is a passive speaker. Or do I misunderstand what you're saying?

Now, if the speakers had their own amp on board (powered/active speakers), then a cd player could be connected directly.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi, Definitive Mythos 4. I found them in the loft and they have a lovely sound, thought I’d use them with the TV but no idea how to go about it
That's not a bad attic (I know you said loft but it's like an attic find) find! I've never heard the Mythos series speakers before but they do look nice and would definitely be better than the tv speakers! You may need to get an avr or stereo receiver to make it work. It wouldn't necessarily have to cost a lot either, depending on how much you're wanting out of it.

L

Lechatcurieux

Enthusiast
Hi, yes just to be clear the speakers plug into the linn Classik and play. I will find pictures...

L

Lechatcurieux

Enthusiast
Actually just as easy, it’s this machine. The speakers play straight from it (and sound amazing). https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LINN-CLASSIK-AMP-CD-PLAYER-TUNER-SYSTEM-SILVER-REMOTE-CONTROL-AND-OWNERS-MANUAL-/303959548228?hash=item46c566a144:g:JMIAAOSwowFgdx3y&nma=true&si=8Z4kQmLIaXqvxxQ6wx447ggD%2BKk%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I’ve bought two new Samsung TVs, both have excellent pictures but the sound on eg Netflix is very muffled. Thought I’d try and hook this stuff up somehow ‍♀
UPDATE: Embarrassed to report it very clearly says CD/amplifier on the front of the manual.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Linn I didn't think had such a thing myself (they're more known for esoteric components). Either way, these are somewhat unusual units to combine a cd player with an amplifier/receiver setup. We tend to use stand alone receivers or integrated amps these days....

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Linn I didn't think had such a thing myself (they're more known for esoteric components). Either way, these are somewhat unusual units to combine a cd player with an amplifier/receiver setup. We tend to use stand alone receivers or integrated amps these days....
Things break and you have either a CD player with no amp or an amp with no player.

This line from the review got me:

The Linn Classik is by far the most powerful "clock radio" I have ever encountered!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis