Is this NAD 216THX a clean amp based on the specs?

P

paulgyro

Junior Audioholic
Amp specs are confusing to me.
Can you tell me if you'd consider this a clean amp that would do well with high efficiency speakers. I'm trying to avoid that dreaded hiss. See attached.

Thanks,
Paul

Attachments

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yes, assuming it is still in proper working order, which is reasonable to question given it's age. It's one of the best amps NAD ever made.

It's a hoss, probably unnecessary for high sensitivity speakers unless you're some sort of headbanger.

P

paulgyro

Junior Audioholic
Thanks much, I have it and it's starting to get crackaly and low volumes. Maybe a recap is in order?

I was asking to make sure I understood it's capabilities / spec before I looked at having it repaired.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Amp specs are confusing to me.
Can you tell me if you'd consider this a clean amp that would do well with high efficiency speakers. I'm trying to avoid that dreaded hiss. See attached.

Thanks,
Paul
It is a very competent amplifier. It is THX certified which means it meets THX's audio specifications standard. It's powerful enough to drive sensitive loudspeakers.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks much, I have it and it's starting to get crackaly and low volumes. Maybe a recap is in order?

I was asking to make sure I understood it's capabilities / spec before I looked at having it repaired.
Is the noise heard when no source is plugged into it? Is so, the problem would be with the source component.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall

Check upstream as verdinutt suggests, to rule out dirty pots or other weirdness not produced by the amp.

Those have class g supplies, a bit more complex than your typical a/b type, so repairs could run correspondigly higher. It's probably worthy of restoration for the right price, but weigh that against replacement.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How high is the sensitivity of the speakers you're considering? Can't always tell from specs alone whether it might be an issue....and really high sensitivity speakers and a quiet room could be a challenge.

P

paulgyro

Junior Audioholic
Is the noise heard when no source is plugged into it? Is so, the problem would be with the source component.
Thus far the only times I hear it are during soft passages or playing at low volume. I've tried multiple sources and it still occurs.

P

paulgyro

Junior Audioholic
How high is the sensitivity of the speakers you're considering? Can't always tell from specs alone whether it might be an issue....and really high sensitivity speakers and a quiet room could be a challenge.
99 Db sensitivity Klipsch Forte IIIs

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Thus far the only times I hear it are during soft passages or playing at low volume. I've tried multiple sources and it still occurs.
I repeat the question. With nothing connected at the amp input, do you hear a noise? If not, your amp is not defective.

P

paulgyro

Junior Audioholic
I repeat the question. With nothing connected at the amp input, do you hear a noise? If not, your amp is not defective.
I don't know. I'll give it a try, disconnecting the input, turning the amp on and listen for 5 minutes and see if I hear any of the noise. The easiest way I can reproduce the noise is to play a song that fades out at the end, during the fade the noise occurs until it just cuts out.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't know. I'll give it a try, disconnecting the input, turning the amp on and listen for 5 minutes and see if I hear any of the noise. The easiest way I can reproduce the noise is to play a song that fades out at the end, during the fade the noise occurs until it just cuts out.
If it is quiet when connected nothing at all, no source, speakers only, then it is not your amp. It's something further upstream and could even be the recording itself.

P

paulgyro

Junior Audioholic
So I was able to fix my NAD's issues by using electrical contact cleaner on the RCA inputs as well as the speaker output. All perfect and sounds amazing! Note to myself and everyone, clean your contacts ever so often.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis