is this cool or am i insane?

M

maxxx

Audiophyte
im thinking of hooking up JBL pro EON speakers to Yamaha RX v2400..

JBL EON

how good will be the setup, if not, how bad.. ( I want the loudness and clarity similar to dance clubs ).

any other suggestions?

M

Mr. Music

Enthusiast
Depends on your willingness to pay. Why not Cervin Vega is you want "power". Assume they cost less. :)

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
"is this cool or am i insane?"

Can't it be both? ;)

Many purists won't agree, but these speakers don't really sound all that bad. I've set up a few small venues with similar speakers and with a little EQ, they can be ruler flat from 40Hz to 18Khz. The larger woofs give you excellent midrange with no doppler distortion common with smaller, long excursion woofs, and the horns are so effecient you'd be hard pressed to find something that can play as loudly and as accurately. They're also darn near indestructible, which is a important factor if you have drunken parties or drunken roommates. Or drunken roommates at drunken parties.

However, depending on the size of your room, you might be better off with smaller pro monitors like NHT makes. These will give you a little better soundstage in a smaller room and sound very accurate.

But if you have a larger room or simply want the boom boom of the dance floor, those JBLs will be hard to beat.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Also, unless you already have a 2400, you may want to think about a 1300 or something even lower. Not sure what you are going to be using the room for, but if you have powered monitors, then you don't need any power in the receiver itself. Are there any inexpensive preamps out there?

Also, as far as I know, most of the dance clubs I go into have racks of amplifiers and use dozens, if not hundreds of speakers to fill the room with audio and extraordinary bass. You can get a sound from those speakers, and I would think they could sound decent. But, clubs exist by selling their atmosphere and if the music is part of it, they will spend several hundred thousand on it.

plhart

Audioholic
You're insane. Check out the low end response of even the 10" 2-way> -3dB @ 90Hz. That's pretty much true across the EON line. I've seen the 15"er's frequency response taken in the Harman 4pi chamber. Same deal, flat to 100Hz.

The EONS are designed to project the sound forward through only about a 90 degree included angle, less than half of what a typical well designed home system will do. Next, these huge woofers all go way up in frequency to 2.7kHz before they cross over to the horn tweeter. Makes them nice at projecting forward and beaming the sound but listen to your favorite vocal at home from only 12 feet or so and you'll be bummed at how recessed the vocal will sound. The articulation of the vocal primary and first harmonics will suck but the upper end silibance and third harmonics and up will blast at you through the tweeter. If you like that sound.....well......

The EONs are great for their intended purpose, sitting out on a stick at a wedding dance but it was only last weekend (at a wedding) that I again had the opportunity to hear how poor they actually sound.

Speaker design is a set of trade-offs, Maxxx, and the EONs trade off exactly the attributes you want to have in a home environment.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Az B said:
no doppler distortion common with smaller, long excursion woofs, .

Could you explain this further, what it is?

M

maxxx

Audiophyte
Az B said:
"is this cool or am i insane?"

However, depending on the size of your room, you might be better off with smaller pro monitors like NHT makes. These will give you a little better soundstage in a smaller room and sound very accurate.

But if you have a larger room or simply want the boom boom of the dance floor, those JBLs will be hard to beat.

well, thts wht im looking for, since I dj , i'd like the similar sound stage in my room.. ill be off to check how good the EONs are.. im planning to get 2/4 of the 15" and one sub..

BMXTRIX said:
Also, unless you already have a 2400, you may want to think about a 1300 or something even lower. Not sure what you are going to be using the room for, but if you have powered monitors, then you don't need any power in the receiver itself. Are there any inexpensive preamps out there?
i have some low-end amps at home.. do u think a harman kardon avr 1550 would be enough to blast the EONs.. or be it any set of pro speakers..

plhart said:
Makes them nice at projecting forward and beaming the sound but listen to your favorite vocal at home from only 12 feet or so and you'll be bummed at how recessed the vocal will sound. The articulation of the vocal primary and first harmonics will suck but the upper end silibance and third harmonics and up will blast at you through the tweeter. If you like that sound.....well......

Speaker design is a set of trade-offs, Maxxx, and the EONs trade off exactly the attributes you want to have in a home environment.
i have a limited budget, so i guess i can't dream of buying a kikass home theatre system that can play loud music without distortion., I havent heard EONs myself, I chose them coz they aren't 'box-like', look compact and not too out of place in my room..,

any other set of pro speakers, tht'll reproduce good sound at a considerably audible level, .. i need them coz i also conduct private trance parties often...

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
Personally I don't like the sound of the EONs. I have used them as rentals to DJ a couple private parties. I think they're very harsh sounding and definitely weak in the bottom unless used with a sub. I would only invest in them if you're going to make up the cost by renting them and yourself out. Even so, I think the Mackie line is smoother in the upper mids and has better low-end. http://www.mackie.com/products/speakers/index.html

But I'm still not sure I'd want them for every day listening.

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
Could you explain this further, what it is?
re: doppler distortion

It happens when a small, long excursion woofer tries to play deep bass and midrange tones at the same time. Since the only way a small woofer can play bass without moving in and out a large amount, the mid tones being reperesented simultaneously are actually being transmitted from a cone that can be several inches from itself in a matter of fractions of a second.

An exaggerated illustration of this problem can be achieved by playing a low frequency sine wave at the same time you play a clear, sustained mid range tone, like a violin or a flute. What happens is the midrange tone starts warbling and distorting.

Larger woofers don't have this problem since they move far less to produce the same kind of low frequencies at the same SPL.

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
One of the reasons it is better to let the sub do all the dirty job of moving air and limit your main speakers to around 55Hz for large and 90Hz for small, this way there is much less cone excursion as well as way less chance for cabinet resonance.

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Hey Mtry...

...if you have ever heard a Hammond B-3 or guitar (like the guitar intro to Ringo Starr's "It Don't Come Easy") through a Leslie cabinet, you have heard the Doppler effect...it is a shimmering quality provided by a rotating speaker...like a passing train whistle or horn, the movement of the sound source towards or away from the listener provides a dramatc change in pitch...can be mimicked electronically with a phase-shifter instrument effect...

These things however are quite...what's the right phrase?...presented on a large scale and I'm not sure if the effect is of quite the same consequence when applied to measurements pertaining to speaker excursion.

jimHJJ(...but then again...)

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Like someone else pointed out earlier, they are active monitors, you don't need an amp to power them.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Resident Loser said:
...if you have ever heard a Hammond B-3 or guitar (like the guitar intro to Ringo Starr's "It Don't Come Easy") through a Leslie cabinet, you have heard the Doppler effect...it is a shimmering quality provided by a rotating speaker...like a passing train whistle or horn, the movement of the sound source towards or away from the listener provides a dramatc change in pitch...can be mimicked electronically with a phase-shifter instrument effect...

These things however are quite...what's the right phrase?...presented on a large scale and I'm not sure if the effect is of quite the same consequence when applied to measurements pertaining to speaker excursion.

Sorry for the late response. Something not working properly as I didn't see this and other posts :confused:

No, I have not heard the Hammond. But what you describe, it sounds like the doppler effect is crated on purpose, not natural function of a driver. I may have heard electronic effects resembling this. Thanks.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Az B said:
re: doppler distortion

It happens when a small, long excursion woofer tries to play deep bass and midrange tones at the same time. Since the only way a small woofer can play bass without moving in and out a large amount, the mid tones being reperesented simultaneously are actually being transmitted from a cone that can be several inches from itself in a matter of fractions of a second.

An exaggerated illustration of this problem can be achieved by playing a low frequency sine wave at the same time you play a clear, sustained mid range tone, like a violin or a flute. What happens is the midrange tone starts warbling and distorting.

Larger woofers don't have this problem since they move far less to produce the same kind of low frequencies at the same SPL.
I guess then I never heard such a speaker with such a wide range handled by one speaker, low driver into mid range. Nor a cone travel of several inches in one direction.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not aware of confirmation that *true* Doppler effect actually takes effect in loudspeakers. However, the distortion heard with a wideband speaker excursing/incursing significant distance relative to the higest frequency wavelengths produced by the speaker have been [1]suggested by strong evidence to produce phase modulated distortion products.

-Chris

Footnotes
[1] Doppler distortion in loudspeakers - Real or Imaginary?
Elliot, Rod
http://sound.westhost.com/doppler.htm

Resident Loser said:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis