Is this Acurus amp high quality?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know much about using a DSP so I am just gonna use my audyssey instead of a DSP.
The dsp on the Crown XLS Drivecore is more about crossover use (if actively bi-amping for example), but your avr should manage the xover in any case. Does the XLi have the adjustable sensitivity feature? Quiet fans like the XLS? 12V trigger or light controls? Those are the things I'd consider as feature differences between the series...if not weight/size.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I heard these fans don't turn on much never get hot enough. Whats adjustable sensitivity feature? Lights wont bother me and what does a 12 volt trigger do is that to shut of the amp with a remote or something?

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Wow, I have that amp.... I've had it so long, since about 2k I'm guessing, I've been considering replacing it with an Emotiva XPA-3, to (mostly) match my upa 2x200. A friend of mine also had the Acurus, for a long time too. Ours never blew up, fried speakers, or whatever.

The only thing about the amp I didn't/don't like is there is no trigger. I built my own, which hasn't blown up either.

Personally, however, I think that amp is to long in the tooth and I wouldn't touch it. Which is why mine will fly shortly.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I heard these fans don't turn on much never get hot enough. Whats adjustable sensitivity feature? Lights wont bother me and what does a 12 volt trigger do is that to shut of the amp with a remote or something?
Yes, most pre's have a trigger out which turn off your power amps when the pre is off.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Ya I dont want an Acurus after what I have heard of them.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Ok so it shuts off when you shut off your AVR or Preamp?

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Ok so it shuts off when you shut off your AVR or Preamp?
Yes, most modern AVR's or pre's have a trigger out and most modern amps have a trigger in. These are connected via a regular RCA cable. When you turn off the AVR or Pre with the remote, the amps turn off.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Only buy that amp if you are prepared to have your speakers destroyed and even catch fire.

Those amps have no DC offset speaker protection. So if a power transistor blows you get the whole DC rail voltage sent to the connected woofer in that speaker. That makes for smoke!
A long time ago when I owned these Acurus 200x3 amps, I had to replace a few blown fuses.

This happened twice on 2 of the amps!

I never had any damaged speakers, though. :D

But having to the replace the fuses was annoying.

Just one of many reasons I love these class-D Crown amps!

The Crown amps have circuit breakers, instead of fuses. :D

ATI amps also have circuit breakers.

I wonder why all amps don’t have circuit breakers instead of fuses?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, most modern AVR's or pre's have a trigger out and most modern amps have a trigger in. These are connected via a regular RCA cable. When you turn off the AVR or Pre with the remote, the amps turn off.
FWIW, not the type used for the trigger mechanism on the XLS Drivecore.....just do a search, believe there's a thread covering on how to make one on avsforum and a few other places

D

donaldhutchinson78@gmail.

Audiophyte
Only buy that amp if you are prepared to have your speakers destroyed and even catch fire.

Those amps have no DC offset speaker protection. So if a power transistor blows you get the whole DC rail voltage sent to the connected woofer in that speaker. That makes for smoke!
I know this is quite an old post, but I have one of these amps and they do have DC offset speaker protection. One fuse per channel.

D

Audiophyte
The VC will blow before the fuse. A fuse is NOT acceptable DC off set protection.
I'll take your word for it. But I have one of these amps (and I consulted the manufacturer before powering it up) that I've had no problems with it. And I've never heard of the problem which you describe. Probably because any reputable amplifier manufacturer, of which Mondial is one, typically would not produce units which can destroy their customers equipment.
Anyone squeamish about hooking up an amplifier to their speakers should invest a little money in having the unit checked out or at least install a resettable thermal fuse in series with a loudspeaker. That would be more than adequate protection.
If it's a good name and a good price, I wouldn't hesitate to buy.

D

Audiophyte
What model do you have? I had the A250
I have the Acurus A100x3 with the flat face plate, not the oval and use a Decware CSP2+ preamp in front of it (I discovered I really like tube preamplification before solid state power). I contacted the manufacturer about starting up this unit, which was new/unused since 1994 and the reply was that it would be fine; and it has been. At some point, I may invest in upgrading the electrolytics (of which there are very few), but I'm in no rush. The thing sounds great.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Very nice. I remember that model. Mondial was a very unique electronics company. I purchased the A250 power amp and the RL11 preamp in 1997. I no longer have either one.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis