Is this a true 4k receiver? Or kinda junk?

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Optoma UHD60 4K Ultra High Definition Home Theater Projector... is this a true 4k projector? Its only 1800 bucks or so... what do you guys think about this projector? Should I wait a couple years for more projectors with better technology or should I try this one?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The Optoma UHD51A is really being well reviewed and is one of the top-picks right now for home theater use. It should be noted that it doesn't have very good input lag measurements, so any serious gaming on it will not bode well for anyone, but for movie viewing and casual gaming it will be fun to use.

These projectors display 8 million pixels discretely. I could get into the details of how they accomplish this, but for the money, let's just say it's been debated, yet the final results are really the proof. They are much more accurate than 1080p projectors, and while not as sharp as the $5,000 Sony native 4K projector, they are very close.

But, instead of just recommending a projector and walking away, why not have a discussion about your room, your use, what you are hoping to accomplish with your setup, and what projector is actually appropriate.

Room size? (l/w/h)
Viewing distance (couch to screen)?
Room paint color (ceiling, walls, carpet)?
Ambient light control (dimmers/windows/ etc.)?
Viewing habits (gaming, movies, sports, general TV)?
Amount of use expected daily?
Sound system that will be paired with projector?
Ability to place projector in room (ceiling/table/distance)?

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Room size: 23' x 12' x 7.5'
Viewing distance: 16'
Paint is brown on walls and black on ceiling
No light when movies or gaming. and 2 very small windows are blacked out
Viewing habits: 60% movies 40% gaming
Use daily is about 6 hours
kef q5 towers with kef center and Dayton surrounds. TC sounds lms-ultra 18" sub.'
projector can go anywhere in room.
Have a 135" screen right now

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It really sounds like you have a nice setup. While you will get a slight improvement from the resolution of DLP, you may be better served with the JVC RS-440U which can be had for under $3,000. It is enhanced UHD instead of true 4K, but the image is sharper than 1080p. With a 16' viewing distance the image should be nearly indistinguishable from true 4K. JVC is now on their 5th generation of this technology and is way ahead of the competition.

They have much faster response time (35ms vs. 70ms I believe) for gaming, and much MUCH better black levels. Better color saturation for sure. The lens also offers good lens shift and much more robust build quality.

If I were buying today, then that's the direction I would go if my budget allowed.

If I had to keep it under $2,000 and needed a projector, then I would go with the Optoma UHD51A, but I don't game on my projector. So, then I would be looking towards models with faster response time. The JVC UH1, BenQ HT2550/TK800 or Viewsonic 747 are all just under 50ms for response time for gaming, which is a fair bit better than the UHD51A, but still, not as fast as the JVC. Of those, the BenQ HT2550 may provide the best image quality for the money.

Yet, DLP has remained fairly stagnant with black levels and you get a pretty decent 'greyish black' from them instead of a inky black. JVC handles black levels much better with their LCoS projectors vs. their UH1 DLP model. Certainly if I were looking to spend UH1 money, I would just get the RS440U (X5900) instead.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I will look into that JVC thanks for the options!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It really sounds like you have a nice setup. While you will get a slight improvement from the resolution of DLP, you may be better served with the JVC RS-440U which can be had for under $3,000. It is enhanced UHD instead of true 4K, but the image is sharper than 1080p. With a 16' viewing distance the image should be nearly indistinguishable from true 4K. JVC is now on their 5th generation of this technology and is way ahead of the competition.

They have much faster response time (35ms vs. 70ms I believe) for gaming, and much MUCH better black levels. Better color saturation for sure. The lens also offers good lens shift and much more robust build quality.

If I were buying today, then that's the direction I would go if my budget allowed.

If I had to keep it under $2,000 and needed a projector, then I would go with the Optoma UHD51A, but I don't game on my projector. So, then I would be looking towards models with faster response time. The JVC UH1, BenQ HT2550/TK800 or Viewsonic 747 are all just under 50ms for response time for gaming, which is a fair bit better than the UHD51A, but still, not as fast as the JVC. Of those, the BenQ HT2550 may provide the best image quality for the money.

Yet, DLP has remained fairly stagnant with black levels and you get a pretty decent 'greyish black' from them instead of a inky black. JVC handles black levels much better with their LCoS projectors vs. their UH1 DLP model. Certainly if I were looking to spend UH1 money, I would just get the RS440U (X5900) instead.
Interesting that JVC made a DLP projector.

Do the LCoS projectors suffer from motion blur/screen door like the LCD projectors do? My current DPL has been great and doesn't have those issues. I'm not sensitive to RBE so DLP has been awesome for me...except for the black levels. Lack of HDR is of course a concern, but the picture is still great.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
In general, it seems that while not as fast as DLP is, LCoS is a faster chip technology than LCD and doesn't suffer from the same motion issues. LCD projectors tend not to be nearly as bad as LCD displays were, and I haven't seen a current LCD projector in a while. You will also find that CFI is included on a bunch of the LCD projectors to help combat this, just like you find on LCD flat panels.

But, LCoS typically just shows the image without CFI and I don't hear the complaints of motion blur that I have from LCD. I actually gave a previous LCD owning client a LCoS projector, and he has been very happy with it to my knowledge.

JVC just released their 4K DLP model, and apparently it is based off of a BenQ build, with JVC processing, lens, and other features. It certainly adds to the cost as JVC uses a better lens than the competition has been, and their processing is a fair bit ahead as well since they are now 5th generation 4K. It is one of the strongest 4K DLP projectors on the market, but DLP 4K has some issues to begin with, most noticeably, contrast (IMO).

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
In general, it seems that while not as fast as DLP is, LCoS is a faster chip technology than LCD and doesn't suffer from the same motion issues. LCD projectors tend not to be nearly as bad as LCD displays were, and I haven't seen a current LCD projector in a while. You will also find that CFI is included on a bunch of the LCD projectors to help combat this, just like you find on LCD flat panels.

But, LCoS typically just shows the image without CFI and I don't hear the complaints of motion blur that I have from LCD. I actually gave a previous LCD owning client a LCoS projector, and he has been very happy with it to my knowledge.

JVC just released their 4K DLP model, and apparently it is based off of a BenQ build, with JVC processing, lens, and other features. It certainly adds to the cost as JVC uses a better lens than the competition has been, and their processing is a fair bit ahead as well since they are now 5th generation 4K. It is one of the strongest 4K DLP projectors on the market, but DLP 4K has some issues to begin with, most noticeably, contrast (IMO).
Thanks for that. I do agree that contrast is the down side of DLP which is why I'm looking to move over to LCoS, specifically JVC.

I've never been a fan of CFI just because it usually isn't implemented all that well. It works well on my VT60 at 96hz, but is terrible at 48hz. My current PJ doesn't have it and I don't really need it. Is it recommended for LCoS?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I've never been a fan of CFI just because it usually isn't implemented all that well. It works well on my VT60 at 96hz, but is terrible at 48hz. My current PJ doesn't have it and I don't really need it. Is it recommended for LCoS?
I have never heard it be 'recommended'. I'm not a fan of CFI and I turn it off, or way down, on any projector I have ever used or installed, including JVC models . I don't think, for a second, that it is necessary.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I have never heard it be 'recommended'. I'm not a fan of CFI and I turn it off, or way down, on any projector I have ever used or installed, including JVC models . I don't think, for a second, that it is necessary.
Awesome. Good to know.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
IMO the best deals on the market right now are the refurbished RS420/590 (from AVS) for about $2,000. You can pick up a new RS440 for right about $3,000. Or, the Sony 285ES isn't exactly a bargain overall, but is the ONLY true native 4K projector on the market at $5,000.

I would likely wait a year on Sony to see what they do. The 285ES is not a new model and it only supports 10 (or 14?) Gb/s HDMI, so it can't handle 4K/60 signals right now. This is not like their TVs which do handle that resolution... So, I expect we will see that as the next significant upgrade to their cheap 4K projector model, along with (maybe) another price drop. They've dropped native 4K pricing by about $20,000 in just a few years, which they are known for. With the Sony 45ES getting a bit long in the tooth, it's hard to say what Sony plans to do on the 'cheaper' side of 4K to compete with JVC and the DLP models.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis