Is this a silly idea?

M

mwhit02

Audiophyte
I am wanting to put my Def Tech BP8060's behind my couch as my rear speakers and go with some Emotiva T3+ as my front L/R channel. Is this perfectly fine to do or a stupid idea?

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I am wanting to put my Def Tech BP8060's behind my couch as my rear speakers and go with some Emotiva T3+ as my front L/R channel. Is this perfectly fine to do or a stupid idea?
Might want to check with local authorities to see if any permits are needed first.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
While matching speakers all the way around would be more ideal. There’s nothing wrong with the idea. I think we’ve all had a system like that to start out.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think it’s a bad idea.

1st, both of those brands aren’t exactly highly regarded. Plenty of brand-bashing for both of them.

2nd, the Emo speakers are probably not any better sounding than your DefTech. A lateral move.

I bet most people would say that if you’re “changing”, then might as well sell the DefTech and start over with a brand that is more highly regarded like Revel, KEF, RBH, PSB, Focal, Dynaudio, etc.

If you want to keep the DefTech for surrounds, then at least get one of the top brands as your MAIN speakers. At least you can say that they are your main MUSIC 2CH system and the other speakers are just for movies. :D

Or just stick with what you have and save your money.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I think it’s a bad idea.

1st, both of those brands aren’t exactly highly regarded. Plenty of brand-bashing for both of them.

2nd, the Emo speakers are probably not any better sounding than your DefTech. A lateral move.

I bet most people would say that if you’re “changing”, then might as well sell the DefTech and start over with a brand that is more highly regarded like Revel, KEF, RBH, PSB, Focal, Dynaudio, etc.

If you want to keep the DefTech for surrounds, then at least get one of the top brands as your MAIN speakers. At least you can say that they are your main MUSIC 2CH system and the other speakers are just for movies. :D

Or just stick with what you have and save your money.
From a AcuDefTechGuy :D:p:D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
From a AcuDefTechGuy :D:p:D
How it started. But I learned quickly here. :D

As you also learned going from GoldenEar to one of the highly respected brands. ;)

My issue with my DefTech BP towers was that the built-in subs were powered by internal amp, instead of external amp. I hate putting amps inside any speaker or subs.

Last edited:
M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
I have tower speakers for my surrounds, running them as Large, and enjoy the full range sound from them -- yes, I can tell the bass rumble in action movies is coming from them.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
Which aspect of this are you asking about? Using two different brands for front and back? That's typically fine. While L/C/R matching is pretty critical, front-to-back is more tolerant. As to towers-vs-bookshelves; as long as the drivers have correct alignment to your ears, it's fine (if the couch is blocking a direct line to one of the mid drivers, you might experience sound challenges using the speaker). That's not specific to towers, but more commonly encountered in them as they are sitting on the floor.

Are you asking about the specific speakers (is X better than Y)? Tons of opinions but its up to your ears at the end of the day. There are a lot of options within that price range and I suspect most people (myself included) would have an "I'd get this instead" or "go check out these".

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis