Is there really a difference between HDMI cables?

H

HardOfHearing

Junior Audioholic
I can spend $5 to $50 for the same 6 foot HDMI cable.
Is there really a difference in what one sees and hears between the various cables?

What are the top 3 recommended HDMI cables to purchase for a surround sound setup?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I usually recommend Monoprice Certified HDMIs. Beyond looking for certified cables, none of the fancy cr@p does anything useful. Certified isn't a guarantee, but of the 5 or 6 certified HDMI 2.0 4K cables I bought, all work.
If you have to do over a 25-30'run, you may need to look at something like a hybrid active cable with a voltage inserter added. I think Ruipro is the top recommendation for cables like that.

H

HardOfHearing

Junior Audioholic
Probably 4 feet is enough but will get 8 max just to be sure but am curious if anyone test and found a noticeable visual or audible difference between the various cables.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Usually, HDMI cables work, or they don't. All you need is something to give electrons a conductive pathway from point A to point B. They don't care if the copper has been massaged by vestal virgins or if the conductor is a single extruded crystal. In short, you will not get extra sparkly picture or SQ beyond what a good conductive pathway will offer. (On the other hand, if the cable isn't working, you'll get all kinds of sparkles, or static, or simply a blank screen.)
For a 6' cable, you shouldn't need to spend beyond $10-$20 depending on whether its 4K or 8K.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've used a wide variety of hdmi cables, as long as it is of sufficient bandwidth and construction for the length you need, I wouldn't get too worried about it. 8 ft shouldn't be hard to deal with. I would avoid particularly heavy or tech-flex covered cables as perhaps a bit unwieldy/stressing hdmi ports. The last few cables I've purchased have been Monoprice and Mediabridge brands I think. One accessory I have found useful over the years are various port savers like these https://www.monoprice.com/category/adapters,-switches,-&-splitters/av-&-computer-adapters/hdmi-adapters

H

HardOfHearing

Junior Audioholic
I've used a wide variety of hdmi cables, as long as it is of sufficient bandwidth and construction for the length you need, I wouldn't get too worried about it. 8 ft shouldn't be hard to deal with. I would avoid particularly heavy or tech-flex covered cables as perhaps a bit unwieldy/stressing hdmi ports. The last few cables I've purchased have been Monoprice and Mediabridge brands I think. One accessory I have found useful over the years are various port savers like these https://www.monoprice.com/category/adapters,-switches,-&-splitters/av-&-computer-adapters/hdmi-adapters
That is a good idea and actually very useful.
I searched but didn't find any but do they have these swivel or 90 degrees for RCA jacks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis