Is there really a difference between an AV receiver and a processor?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I want extra channels so I can add top middle, but the 6700 also has dual speaker presets so I can have a setting for when it's just me watching, and another setting for when I have guests sitting in the back row. Also, the 6700 has bluetooth so I could use my bluetooth headphones when I want to keep things quiet if the wife is sleeping. DTS: X pro would be good too once I add the extra atmos channels. Another reason to upgrade is so I can replace one of my other aging Denon 1080p receivers with the 4300 so when I eventually get a 4k tv in the living room or bedroom, I'll be all set there. I don't really care about 8k, but maybe some of the other features will help with the next gen xbox but most of the time I'll be just using my sony 4k 285es, and I'm not sure that can take advantage of those newer features.
Okay, and iiuc, you don't need balanced I/Is, so the 6700 has everything you need. It also gives you the option to use some of the internal amps for the surround and Atmos channels, that prepros won't.

S

Slevin19

Audioholic Intern
I think it depends on your requirements. I do need balanced outputs. I have four pre/pros all Marantz, but the oldest one is in storage, so I have three in use. I think that longevity is likely to be better, though I don't know if you never use any of the amps. However you have a bunch of power amps doing nothing, wasting electricity and generating heat. A pre/pro only uses 60 watts max and barely makes any heat at all. The case only gets very slightly warm. My biggest objection to receivers is the power amps, which I personally dislike, especially in later models. However I guess if you don't use the amps and only need line outputs I doubt you will see any issues except may be longevity.
Is this true if one uses a mid-level receiver like the Marantz SR6014? I use the pre-outs from that into the Parasound A21 power amp for 2-channel audio (I also use the 2 subwoofer pre-outs into twin active subwoofers). Which means that for 2.2 channel audio (only thing that matters to me), none of the amplifier sections of the Marantz are being used (though it still runs hot!). Is the pre-amp section of the SR6014 good enough and has a high enough output voltage for the A21 power amp?

Thanks in advance.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I was just reading the thread and all the upset folks about SU's capacitor excuse.....for an inaudible issue. :)
That's even after Denon told them the production runs with the original cap did not suffer, and Amir told them the effects of the substituted cap causing that drop to that same whopping 0.005% wouldn't be audible.:D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Is this true if one uses a mid-level receiver like the Marantz SR6014? I use the pre-outs from that into the Parasound A21 power amp for 2-channel audio (I also use the 2 subwoofer pre-outs into twin active subwoofers). Which means that for 2.2 channel audio (only thing that matters to me), none of the amplifier sections of the Marantz are being used (though it still runs hot!). Is the pre-amp section of the SR6014 good enough and has a high enough output voltage for the A21 power amp?

Thanks in advance.
It is good enough and has high enough voltage for the A21. You can see the measurements taken by ASR. It actually also measured as good as the AV7705.

S

Slevin19

Audioholic Intern
Thanks Peng. Just saw the ASR review for the SR6014. Yikes! Though there are a lot of unknowns: he gives the Denon 3600h high marks but the connection method into the Denon is not the same. But I’ll assume he’s right.

Let me phrase a different question related to the topic at hand:

If I have a power amp (Parasound A21) and wanted to set up a home theater system (5.2 speakers) using separates, how would you recommend at a budget of <$3k? Assume that I only care about the SQ from my L-R main speakers. If I need a 3-channel amp for my center / surrounds, I’d buy used (something like a Parasound A23 with matching gain). Assume my sources are streaming only (Tidal HiFi / Qobuz / Amazon Music HD). I have an Apple TV and Chromecast I can connect as sources if required.

Would you recommend just settling with a Denon 3600H? Or if it would be separates, then which preamp / processor?

Thanks in advance. I’ve spent a few hours trying to research this but to no avail.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks Peng. Just saw the ASR review for the SR6014. Yikes! Though there are a lot of unknowns: he gives the Denon 3600h high marks but the connection method into the Denon is not the same. But I’ll assume he’s right.

Let me phrase a different question related to the topic at hand:

If I have a power amp (Parasound A21) and wanted to set up a home theater system (5.2 speakers) using separates, how would you recommend at a budget of <$3k? Assume that I only care about the SQ from my L-R main speakers. If I need a 3-channel amp for my center / surrounds, I’d buy used (something like a Parasound A23 with matching gain). Assume my sources are streaming only (Tidal HiFi / Qobuz / Amazon Music HD). I have an Apple TV and Chromecast I can connect as sources if required.

Would you recommend just settling with a Denon 3600H? Or if it would be separates, then which preamp / processor?

Thanks in advance. I’ve spent a few hours trying to research this but to no avail.
If you only care about the LCR, I don't see any point spending more on separate. There really isn't any "separates/AVP/AVC" in the <$5000 range that measured better than the AVR-X3600/X4700H anyway. The RMC-1 did, but only in 1 or 2 measurements iirc and the Denon's preout actually measured better if you compare the graph. I think Amir rank the RMC-1 higher in SINAD by mistake (just sort of..) as he seemed to have based on one single high point that is of no practical value.

Note that when you compare the AVR's to AVP/C's preout graphs on ASR, you have to divide the AVP/C's pre-out voltage by 2 because he typically used XLR balanced outputs. 4 V XLR = 2 V RCA.

For power amp, the A21 is good, but the A23 is not that much more powerful than the AVR, so why bother? For 3 channel, I think the Monolith 200WX3, Anthem MCA325, and ATI's hypex based class D amps are good candidates, that's just my opinion.

Click on the links below for details:

RMC-1 Preout SINAD Vs Output
AVR-X3600H Preout SINAD vs Output

1595941894533.png

1595941851519.png

S

Slevin19

Audioholic Intern
Thanks Peng.

One more question. See post #231 here.

What is your take on this?

newsletter