Is there a way to check?

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
The watts that are output by the AVR? Manufacturers only say the MAX with 2 channels driven and it goes down the more channels you use. I’d like to know how far down. Not max down but real time use.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The watts that are output by the AVR? Manufacturers only say the MAX with 2 channels driven and it goes down the more channels you use. I’d like to know how far down. Not max down but real time use.
In real system use, with actual program material, in moderately sized room with speakers of reasonable sensitivity (e.g. 86db/2.83v/1m or better), I doubt there's any noticeable drop-off at all.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Yeah they say 7 channels or 9 channels but in reality AVR'S do not have multiple amps.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
Yeah they say 7 channels or 9 channels but in reality AVR'S do not have multiple amps.
I think you lost me on this one. I thought a 9 channel receiver had 9 separate amps inside. How could it be otherwise?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
They do have a power amp per channel and have to have. Therein lies to problem. Too many amps are shoe horned into one box. That is the fundamental receiver problem.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
I just looked inside my AVR, and I see one power supply, one rail two big caps so unless I missed something?

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
They do have a power amp per channel and have to have. Therein lies to problem. Too many amps are shoe horned into one box. That is the fundamental receiver problem.
So there are 5 and up to 9 separate amplifiers in a AVR?

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Irv, so they all use the same rail, and power supply. So there are up to 5 or 9 and so on separate amplifiers for each channel.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
I think you lost me on this one. I thought a 9 channel receiver had 9 separate amps inside. How could it be otherwise?
I thought that AVR'S didn't have 5 or up to 9 or more separate amplifiers. That the channels share the power supply, power rail and the two main capacitors. Learn something everyday I guess. TLSGuy, and Irv, are two of the best on AH. Plus they have way more knowledge on audio gear than I do.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
In real system use, with actual program material, in moderately sized room with speakers of reasonable sensitivity (e.g. 86db/2.83v/1m or better), I doubt there's any noticeable drop-off at all.

So in a 9 channel AVR all channels will ALWAYS put out up to their max rated watts? The power supply isn’t the limiting factor? Do the amplifiers put out even when no speakers may be attached (a 9 channel AVR with only 5 speakers hooked up?).

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
If the speaker setup menu inside your receiver is setup correctly for 5 assigned channels you would set the other 4 channels to none for example. This essentially tells the receiver to reallocate the missing channels info to say the mains or surrounds according to what is most accurate for reproduction of the sound effects or discard it all together. The most important point for using the 4 unused channels in your 9 channel receiver is for positional ques. With more channels sound can be separated to create a more enveloping surround experience more like outdoor open space where sound is not resticated to room volume or shape and can come from everywhere. Outside the space volume is beyond the scope of any man made audio equipment unless your hearing the 1883 volcanic explosions from Krakatoa which was 190 dB 10 Miles from the blast point and heard 3000 miles away. As for the amp portion of your receiver. Each amp channel is discrete. One channel cannot steal the output wattage from another channel. The processor portion signals the amp to produce a specific output to the speaker attached. The amp does not make any decisions of its own. It receives an input signal then attempts to drive the signal to the speaker through its output at whatever playback level you demand even to the point of damage to your amp and speaker. That’s why a protective circuit is a good idea. Max wattage can be exceeded up to the point your amp or speaker is damaged. There is no way to know what the peak wattage was unless your amp was being bench tested at that time.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan

So in a 9 channel AVR all channels will ALWAYS put out up to their max rated watts? The power supply isn’t the limiting factor? Do the amplifiers put out even when no speakers may be attached (a 9 channel AVR with only 5 speakers hooked up?).
No. Seldom if ever in an AVR. Most are rated in a two channel mode for maximum output, and then the surround channels are assumed to only need what's left, and it's generally a good assumption. I'm no surround expert, to say the least, but people around here smarter than me about this seem to agree with that statement.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Most of the time dynamic swings are very short, say a car crash or guys shot, that's a fraction of a second, most avrs CAN handle full power ACD for short dynamic bursts. The only time a steady ACD test is relevant is if you're listening to some godawful pop music in all channel stereo with the dynamic range squashed down to +-3dB, but in all seriousness, most people don't listen to that kind of music much above 85-90dB, which doesn't use a lot of power. It's movies and stuff like classical music that has large dynamic swings, and most all avrs CAN output their full rated power (or possibly even more) for short bursts into all channels.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis