Is the Power enough!

P

persypolis

Audiophyte
Have the Paradigm Premier 800F towers with the 500C center channel. Amp is the NAD T758 V3 which is rated at 110w X 2 channels and 60w X 5 channles. My room is on the smaller side and the system has not been set up yet (currently using the NAD with the Paradigm CT100 satellite speakers).
Movies will be 75%. Rarely do I listen at reference levels but love to watch movies with dynamic content. The Premiers on paper are quite efficient and well known for their dynamics, however am not sure if the NAD receiver will be sufficient. Will I need an external amp and if so is NAD known to have good quality pre-outs.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Your NAD T758 V3 will do fine in a small room with efficient speakers with lots of room to spare (dynamics in the form of headroom for transients).

Very best,

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
What are the dimensions of your room and your distance from front stage to listening position?

Very best,

P

persypolis

Audiophyte
Its 16 by 11 though am constrained with listening position of 8.5 feet from the speakers.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Its 16 by 11 though am constrained with listening position of 8.5 feet from the speakers.
Hi,

So let's call it a cool 1500 cubic feet approximately, which is smallish, and your listening position is 8.5 feet. Just knowing that, you likely don't need anything more than your AVR. Great reading here:

So let's approximately calculate some of this:

I went with the 89db sensitivity rating on your mains (it was rated at 89db to 92db, so I went with the lesser value to show the worse case scenario). Two speakers (reinforcement). Near a wall (reinforcement). 60 watts (the max of your AVR sustained with all channels driven). At 8.5 feet.

This puts 104.5db at your listening position as a peak SPL. Way louder than you want to listen. Even at 1 watt, your setup and distance will produce 86.7db which is the reference for a movie theater roughly, and has headroom to go to 104.5db, or a 17.8db change. So greater than 10db is perceived, psychoaccoustically, as double the loudness. So you have plenty of dynamic range left in headroom here for transient spikes in response.

Of course, all of that is +/- a bit based on other things in the room, room response itself (nulls, modes, reflections) and room correction (if applicable). But it's just to illustrate that your system at 60 watts is way plenty for your space and distance. And if used in stereo mode, has gobs of power that you'll never even tap into.

Very best,

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi,

So let's call it a cool 1500 square feet approximately, which is smallish, and your listening position is 8.5 feet. Just knowing that, you likely don't need anything more than your AVR. Great reading here:

So let's approximately calculate some of this:

I went with the 89db sensitivity rating on your mains (it was rated at 89db to 92db, so I went with the lesser value to show the worse case scenario). Two speakers (reinforcement). Near a wall (reinforcement). 60 watts (the max of your AVR sustained with all channels driven). At 8.5 feet.

This puts 104.5db at your listening position as a peak SPL. Way louder than you want to listen. Even at 1 watt, your setup and distance will produce 86.7db which is the reference for a movie theater roughly, and has headroom to go to 104.5db, or a 17.8db change. So greater than 10db is perceived, psychoaccoustically, as double the loudness. So you have plenty of dynamic range left in headroom here for transient spikes in response.

Of course, all of that is +/- a bit based on other things in the room, room response itself (nulls, modes, reflections) and room correction (if applicable). But it's just to illustrate that your system at 60 watts is way plenty for your space and distance. And if used in stereo mode, has gobs of power that you'll never even tap into.

Very best,
Great post and good info Mal!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Will I need an external amp and if so is NAD known to have good quality pre-outs.
Agree with MalveauX, If you listen to levels say 10 dB below reference from 8.5 ft the NAD can do the job, but I would say a little on the marginal side. The NAD T758 V3's pre outs did not measure well at all. At 2 V output (did okay at about 1 V) it currently sits occupy the lowest spot on the chart among the AVPs/AVRs/Streamers measured by audiosciencerview.com.

Ironically, another NAD product, the M33 streamer amplifier occupies the top spot on the same ranking chart.:D

Again, since you sit from only 8.5 ft in a small room your AVR should be quite capable, unless you get close to reference level.

StormAudio ISP 16 MK2 Review (AV Processor) | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

1618071974592.png

P

persypolis

Audiophyte
Thank you Mal and Peng!
It absolutely does not necessitate an external amp then which is reassuring. The pre-out capabilities are shocking and one which I should have researched before buying it. But must say its got clean power delivery compared to the Marantz slimline receiver i had earlier.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you Mal and Peng!
It absolutely does not necessitate an external amp then which is reassuring. The pre-out capabilities are shocking and one which I should have researched before buying it. But must say its got clean power delivery compared to the Marantz slimline receiver i had earlier.
For sure, should be twice as powerful compare to the Slimlines Again the preouts fine up to 1V, likely more.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi,

So let's call it a cool 1500 square feet approximately, which is smallish, and your listening position is 8.5 feet.
Hmmm let's call it 176 sq ft. Might be close to 1500 cu ft assuming 8 ft ceilings, tho. :)

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hmmm let's call it 176 sq ft. Might be close to 1500 cu ft assuming 8 ft ceilings, tho. :)
Yes, sorry, meant cubic feet, dur.... and yes I used 8 foot ceilings to get to that since its pretty standard. o_O

Very best,

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, sorry, meant cubic feet, dur.... and yes I used 8 foot ceilings to get to that since its pretty standard. o_O

Very best,
Altho cubic feet more relate to the sub rather than the speakers....to an extent.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis