Is the look of film really possible at home?

S

seanjwhite

Audiophyte
Okay, I'm hoping someone will know what I'm talking about and can answer my ultimate question (which I'll get to eventually...if you bear with me).

I don't know if my definitions of "judder" and "flicker" and "film-like" are the same as everyone else's, but, thinking that 3-3 pulldown was what I was looking for, I saw a Pioneer Elite plasma showing a feature film at Good Guys and still didn't see what I wanted. Basically, what I'd like to see is that fluid and, yes, BLURRY movement of objects and scenery (on pans) through the frame that you get in the theater. You know what I mean? That smoothness that almost makes you think you're watching video on film?

I thought this frame-rate discrepancy stuff was at the root of my quest, but, having seen the Pioneer Elite for myself, I have to wonder. The Good Guys sales rep said that it might be a matter of cable connection (as they didn't have the best connections on demo in the store), but that doesn't seem right. I could believe that the connection would affect things like color, brightness, and even resolution, but something like refresh rate or whether the image is interlaced or progressive? I would think that was simply a matter of hardware, not wiring.

If you're wondering exactly what theater-like quality I'm talking about, try this experiment, which I discovered several years ago. Play any of your live-action-movie DVDs (such as "Glory," on which this works really well) on your regular TV, and watch it in a dark room while wearing TWO pairs of sunglasses. (NOTE: Don't do this often or even a second time. It can be pretty wearing on the eyes.) For some reason, this really helps achieve that film-like motion blur. Granted, it makes the picture much darker and dulls color, but, speaking only for myself, that's not my biggest priority when it comes to home theater. (if I could achieve that motion blur with full brightness and color, I'd jump on it, but call me weird; I really, really crave the motion blur.)

So my ultimate question is...is this effect possible at home? Is cable connection really that important to it? What do I need to buy and/or do?

Any input would be much appreciated.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would say that when HD movies are available on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray you will be a lot closer to your goal. Also, newer display devices I am quite sure will eventually allow for 24hz playback on a digital display (no flicker). This will match up identically to 24fps that films are shot at and should really provide the most honest representation of film on a digital display device.

There still is no way to put all the film noise back into the disc which is invariably cleaned up by PCs along the way though.

Well you can watch a lot of 3D animation films. They tend to add motion blur to the render process so it's there whether you want it or not.

A good film transfer should capture exactly what the film frame contained in terms of detail (including real motion blur.) Playing it back at 72Hz 3:3 is about the best you can get in today's technology for accuracy of motion and smoothness.

2 pairs of sunglasses a good film experience does not make. Sit closer and your eyes will provide all the motion blur you'll need.

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
This seems very odd to me. I thought that motion blur is something you DONT want. My friends Bang and Olefson tube TV has absulute NO motion blur and almost seems TOO real. It really is amazing. I have been trying to capture the same thing with my Panny plasma and extranal scaler but havnt got it.

A

awesomebase

Audioholic
Why motion blur?

I find it a little weird that you would want that "blur" you get in the movies. It seems to me that Hollywood is getting more and more away from that anyway. If you look at the Lord of the Rings and Matrics movies, they were pretty sharp, even in fast-moving scenes.
Quite frankly I find the quality of movies at the theaters to be worse than most projectors. Get a good DLP or LCD projector and add a good receiver and speakers and I'm willing to bet that will be a much better experience than the screen at the theaters. You have to remember that they're projecting an analog source. Not only that, but it is being projected a very long distance on a powerful, yet, "unclean" projector. This is just my $.02 here, but, to me, wanting to replicate that is like wanting to take a horse and carriage to work because you want to smell the fresh air. If you can, I would be looking to do much better.
Looking at a plasma set or any type of TV for that matter is not going to get you what you want. No matter how sharp they make them, you will almost always be able to capture the gaps between the horizonal and vertical lines. That being said, a good front-firing projector in a light-controlled room will not only produce a picture that is at the very least as good as a theater, but, with a digital source such as a DVD or better (like an HD-football game), the experience will be considerably better. No screen noise, no blurriness, fast refresh rates, and you don't have to worry about your shoes sticking to the floor! Also, don't discount the sound... you can certainly add some incredible sound systems. I believe that better sound actually creates a more emotionally effective movie. People are much more forgiving if the TV/screen they're watching is smaller then they are if the sound is bad or if it isn't loud enough for the room they're in.

I

Ilovemovies

Audioholic Intern
>>Get a good DLP or LCD projector and add a good receiver and speakers and I'm willing to bet that will be a much better experience than the screen at the theaters.<<

This is exactly what we did, My oldest daughter and I were going to theatre alot , and with the purchase of popcorn and a drink it was becoming expensive , so we bought a 106" screne and LCD projector personally I am "VERY" happy with this purchase, we have watched lots of movies on it, the picture is very clear and our 6.1 does a great job with the sound..... And in comparrison to going to the theatre BIG BIG screne, I believe this LCD is much clearer and brighter, My son in law has a plasma tv, and its great!, but I don't want my movies to look like shiny photographs, so hey for us we are very happy with our purchase..... our rec room however is litterally ideal for a projector too though....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis