Is the AVR shortage easing up?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
A more of doubling in SKUs at Crutchfield seems of note to me. Plus, as I said WWStereo has 55 models.

You don’t think 55 models is significant?
You're looking at two sources, but that's hardly the 'whole industry'. In order to say "supply has recovered", it has to happen everywhere and that hasn't happened. I just looked at the site of an electronics distributor that's part of a larger corporation that has been buying regional distributors, checking for AVR availability- they carry Denon, Marantz, Sony & Yamaha, showing 10, 7, 2 and 8 models, respectively. When I checked all four brands, most branches show 'Call for availability'- they have 13 locations that serve literally thousands of dealers. I didn't check with the parent company's website but I looked on another distributor's site that serves a smaller group of dealers and they have almost nothing in stock from Denon or Yamaha.

The supply shortage isn't over, by any stretch of the imagination.

highfigh

highfigh

The whole supply chain from basic elements to final product is compromised in some way. As for South Korea, hope for the best, but their unions, as are unions around the world, beginning to stir. During times of "price stability" you can deal with their leaders at 2 to 3% increases every couple of years. When inflation surges at rates not seen since the 1970s, as we are now experiencing, the unions will be out for blood. That will only increase the inflationary spiral for consumers. If you remember the 1970s, you remember strikes being a large fact of daily life.
It's a big s"it sandwich.
I understand the reasons for unions, but my own experience with them has been less than stellar. Also, when I see a 'Buy Union' bumper sticker on a foreign-made vehicle, the hypocrisy really pisses me off (actually made in a foreign country, not made in the US by a foreign-owned corporation).

I have never met a pro-union worker who understood that their high wages drive prices for whatever they make.

highfigh

highfigh

I also took a look at Best Buy, they have 35 stereo and multi channel receivers in stock.

And more lower/entry level models are available. I remember last year no entry level models being available. Now I see the the entry level models from Denon, Yamaha and Sony in stock at various retailers.
At how many locations?

B

bladerunner6

Audioholic
I understand the reasons for unions, but my own experience with them has been less than stellar. Also, when I see a 'Buy Union' bumper sticker on a foreign-made vehicle, the hypocrisy really pisses me off (actually made in a foreign country, not made in the US by a foreign-owned corporation).

I have never met a pro-union worker who understood that their high wages drive prices for whatever they make.
People want union wages and benefits but without higher prices.

Protectionism is really a form
You're looking at two sources, but that's hardly the 'whole industry'. In order to say "supply has recovered", it has to happen everywhere and that hasn't happened. I just looked at the site of an electronics distributor that's part of a larger corporation that has been buying regional distributors, checking for AVR availability- they carry Denon, Marantz, Sony & Yamaha, showing 10, 7, 2 and 8 models, respectively. When I checked all four brands, most branches show 'Call for availability'- they have 13 locations that serve literally thousands of dealers. I didn't check with the parent company's website but I looked on another distributor's site that serves a smaller group of dealers and they have almost nothing in stock from Denon or Yamaha.

The supply shortage isn't over, by any stretch of the imagination.
I looked at more than two sources. I also looked at Best Buy, which I memotioned.

In addition, I looked at Electronics Express and A4L. They seem to have increased availability.

Safe and Sound also has most models in stock.

I also didn’t say the shortage was over or ”supply has recovered“. I asked a question if others thought it was easing up.

There seems to be some evidence of that it is easing up.

highfigh

highfigh

People want union wages and benefits but without higher prices.

Protectionism is really a form

I looked at more than two sources. I also looked at Best Buy, which I memotioned.

In addition, I looked at Electronics Express and A4L. They seem to have increased availability.

Safe and Sound also has most models in stock.

I also didn’t say the shortage was over or ”supply has recovered“. I asked a question if others thought it was easing up.

There seems to be some evidence of that it is easing up.
High wages CAN'T come without higher prices, regardless of where they're paid.

These are retail outlets and are only part of the story- in order to know if the situation is improving, you need to know how many they have in stock, not that they have 55 models. If they have 55 models spread among 500 stores, that doesn't really meet the definition of 'in stock'. You would also need to know how many wholesale outlets have these and I can tell you that most don't have many.

I checked on another company's site- they have no Yamaha AVRs and if they have Denon, they show 'Stock Alert', meaning they have very few. Some models are shown with 'Out of stock- ETA 7/4/2022'. That's the expected date, but with the transportation problems, I wouldn't believe it until I see it.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Yamaha was slow in restarting their AVR production lines in Malaysia. Several reasons, worker vacations, Covid alert, internal component shortage but now they are starting to catch up.. Factory stock levels are reasonable for the lower range AVRs, the mid range and higher range AVRs were the last to be produced. And inventory levels will be built back up by August/September in time for 4th quarter sales...

Just my $0.02... ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yamaha was slow in restarting their AVR production lines in Malaysia. Several reasons, worker vacations, Covid alert, internal component shortage but now they are starting to catch up.. Factory stock levels are reasonable for the lower range AVRs, the mid range and higher range AVRs were the last to be produced. And inventory levels will be built back up by August/September in time for 4th quarter sales...

Just my $0.02... ;)
Any talks from Yamaha about their next pre-pro to replace the discontinued CX-A5200?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hmmm..
Good question, about time for some updates...
I will check my sources..

Just my $0.02.... ;)
Also, has anyone mentioned about when the next AVR models will be released from Yamaha and DM?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis