Is the AVR shortage easing up?

B

bladerunner6

Audioholic
Last year when I bought my 3700 I remember Crutchfield having only 9 or 11 in stock. Now they have 25.

World Wide Stereo has 55 models listed.

Admittedly the prices are high but that is the way things are these days.

Has anyone else noticed increased availability?

Thanks.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Last year when I bought my 3700 I remember Crutchfield having only 9 or 11 in stock. Now they have 25.

World Wide Stereo has 55 models listed.

Admittedly the prices are high but that is the way things are these days.

Has anyone else noticed increased availability?

Thanks.
A difference of 14-16 pieces at a dealer as large as Crutchfield hardly indicates an increase in availability.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yep. Availability of AVR definitely seems way up. Hopefully availability and production of everything in the world is going back to normal levels soon.

highfigh

highfigh

Yep. Availability of AVR definitely seems way up. Hopefully availability and production of everything in the world is going back to normal levels soon.
Do you buy direct? I as talking to a rep at one of the local distributors and he told me they have some of the mid-line Denons and IIRC, the 4700H but that's about it- they're part of a fairly large distribution company, too. He also said they have a hard time getting Yamaha- what have you head about that?

OTOH, this guy isn't the sharpest twig in the forest- I just checked their site and the Denon inventory only shows a total of nine models, so I'm not sure where their emphasis is WRT the kind of products they're buying.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Do you buy direct? I as talking to a rep at one of the local distributors and he told me they have some of the mid-line Denons and IIRC, the 4700H but that's about it- they're part of a fairly large distribution company, too. He also said they have a hard time getting Yamaha- what have you head about that?

OTOH, this guy isn't the sharpest twig in the forest- I just checked their site and the Denon inventory only shows a total of nine models, so I'm not sure where their emphasis is WRT the kind of products they're buying.
I buy Direct and Distributors. Availability isn’t as good as pre-COVID, but much better than it was 1 and especially 2 years ago.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Whatever is available should be purchased now if you have the need and the dollars. Prices will continue to go up for the immediate future and if there is a Taiwan/China hiccup there will be all kinds of supply issues with chips and transportation. Don't rule out Crutchfield's "scratch & dent" inventory.

highfigh

highfigh

Whatever is available should be purchased now if you have the need and the dollars. Prices will continue to go up for the immediate future and if there is a Taiwan/China hiccup there will be all kinds of supply issues with chips and transportation. Don't rule out Crutchfield's "scratch & dent" inventory.
Until the industry yanks their heads out and stops using China as their main source, this won't change. Hopefully, Samsung's new chip plant will help, but they need to run it in a way that the industry benefits, not only them.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Hopefully, Samsung's new chip plant will help, but they need to run it in a way that the industry benefits, not only them.
Article in yesterdays WSJ on how that plant is behind schedule due to issues with getting the required machinery needed to make the chips

highfigh

highfigh

Article in yesterdays WSJ on how that plant is behind schedule due to issues with getting the required machinery needed to make the chips
I don't know why anyone would be surprised by this.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
I don't know why anyone would be surprised by this.
The whole supply chain from basic elements to final product is compromised in some way. As for South Korea, hope for the best, but their unions, as are unions around the world, beginning to stir. During times of "price stability" you can deal with their leaders at 2 to 3% increases every couple of years. When inflation surges at rates not seen since the 1970s, as we are now experiencing, the unions will be out for blood. That will only increase the inflationary spiral for consumers. If you remember the 1970s, you remember strikes being a large fact of daily life.
It's a big s"it sandwich.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
But where are the manufacturers getting the chips from now to build the products?

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, it's been a rough couple of years past. First COVID than the chip factory blowing up, than the HDMI fiasco, ships getting stuck off the coast waiting to get unloaded. Trucking issues, inflation dam all the bad luck huh.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
But where are the manufacturers getting the chips from now to build the products?
Oh that - I don't know. I just know that I can get AVR and AVP a lot easier now than last year.

B

bladerunner6

Audioholic
A difference of 14-16 pieces at a dealer as large as Crutchfield hardly indicates an increase in availability.
A more of doubling in SKUs at Crutchfield seems of note to me. Plus, as I said WWStereo has 55 models.

You don’t think 55 models is significant?

B

bladerunner6

Audioholic
I also took a look at Best Buy, they have 35 stereo and multi channel receivers in stock.

And more lower/entry level models are available. I remember last year no entry level models being available. Now I see the the entry level models from Denon, Yamaha and Sony in stock at various retailers.

B

bladerunner6

Audioholic
The whole supply chain from basic elements to final product is compromised in some way. As for South Korea, hope for the best, but their unions, as are unions around the world, beginning to stir. During times of "price stability" you can deal with their leaders at 2 to 3% increases every couple of years. When inflation surges at rates not seen since the 1970s, as we are now experiencing, the unions will be out for blood. That will only increase the inflationary spiral for consumers. If you remember the 1970s, you remember strikes being a large fact of daily life.
It's a big s"it sandwich.
At least in the US, union membership has had a huge decline since the 1970’s.

In my state of Michigan it is a third of what it was decades ago.

There has been growth in union membership in South Korea but it pales compared to what my state had decades ago.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So meaningful....
Verdinut asked me a question.

I answered Verdinut’s question to the best if my knowledge. That’s the truth of what I DO KNOW.

Do you expect me to add some spices to it?

Or perhaps not answer Verdinut at all if I don’t have more insight?

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis