Is Sonos Port the answer to streaming with our legacy receivers?

P

Peter F

Audiophyte
Anyone see the reviews of the new Sonos Port? Is this this answer to streaming on our legacy home theater systems??

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Or Denon's HEOS, Yamaha's MusicCast.....

Both of these have inputs and outputs lacking in the Sonos pieces and are made by audio companies- Sonos was initially a networking company, so they don't quite understand what's sometimes needed for the audio/integration section. I'm using a MusicCast WXC-50 as my preamp and it works great for that- I couldn't do the same with a Sonos because it lacks the extra inputs and the 12V trigger to turn the power amp on.

P

Peter F

Audiophyte
Have you read the review?? It has line-level inputs and outputs and the 12v trigger. You can stream music service into your legacy receiver and also output analogue and digital signals to wired speakers or your other room Sonos speakers.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Have you read the review?? It has line-level inputs and outputs and the 12v trigger. You can stream music service into your legacy receiver and also output analogue and digital signals to wired speakers or your other room Sonos speakers.
What review?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I have been to Sonos training, since I sell and install AV equipment. The issues I mentioned are the reason they came out with a new model because every time they train people, they hear the same questions.

Functionally, they're similar, but for those who want more, it's a bit lacking, considering the fact that the price is similar, too. Still doesn't have a subwoofer out jack, either.

Also, the MusicCast can be controlled from a computer as well as a smart phone or tablet.

Compare the back of each piece and tell me the Sonos has the same-

Sonos-

Heos Link-

MusicCast WXC-50-

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Not sure what you're after? But if your receiver has an hdmi port Chromecast works well and is only $35.

P

Peter F

Audiophyte
The Heos and MusicCast look like legit preamps if that's what you need. I'm just looking for a music streaming option that I can line-level I/O connect to my legacy Denon receiver with 7.1 wired speakers, but also support Sonos wireless multi-room speakers that I already have. /Peter F.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Heos and MusicCast look like legit preamps if that's what you need. I'm just looking for a music streaming option that I can line-level I/O connect to my legacy Denon receiver with 7.1 wired speakers, but also support Sonos wireless multi-room speakers that I already have. /Peter F.
That's a bit different than just using legacy home theater systems. I use Audio Chromecasts to add streaming music to my older gear is what I was going to say, but not quite what you're looking for I think.

J

JoeThePop

Audiophyte
I have been looking for something similar to stream music to my 2 channel stereo receiver and am considering the Yamaha WXC-50. I'm currently using a Chromecast Audio, but would really like a remote for streaming playback. The WXC-50 has a mode switch that allows it to be used as a player only. I know it seems like overkill to buy a preamp with DSP and all the other preamp functions and use it as a player only, but considering the price compared to the Sonos Port or the Bluesound Node 2i (neither of which have a remote), and it looks to be a better deal. And who knows, maybe someday I'll finally retire my 30 year old Yamaha receiver and find a nice little amp to go with the WXC-50.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have been looking for something similar to stream music to my 2 channel stereo receiver and am considering the Yamaha WXC-50. I'm currently using a Chromecast Audio, but would really like a remote for streaming playback. The WXC-50 has a mode switch that allows it to be used as a player only. I know it seems like overkill to buy a preamp with DSP and all the other preamp functions and use it as a player only, but considering the price compared to the Sonos Port or the Bluesound Node 2i (neither of which have a remote), and it looks to be a better deal. And who knows, maybe someday I'll finally retire my 30 year old Yamaha receiver and find a nice little amp to go with the WXC-50.
What do you stream with? A phone can act as a remote with Audio Chromecast or am I misunderstanding some functionality?

J

JoeThePop

Audiophyte
What do you stream with? A phone can act as a remote with Audio Chromecast or am I misunderstanding some functionality?
Yes I do use my iPhone as the remote, but it can be annoying. When all I want to do is quickly pause, skip, or mute, it would be nice to have a remote instead of having to grab my phone that has gone to sleep, and wait for the Google Home APP to refresh before I can do anything.
Oh and the remote has presets which is exactly what my wife would like. She won't use her phone to stream music on my system.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes I do use my iPhone as the remote, but it can be annoying. When all I want to do is quickly pause, skip, or mute, it would be nice to have a remote instead of having to grab my phone that has gone to sleep, and wait for the Google Home APP to refresh before I can do anything.
Oh and the remote has presets which is exactly what my wife would like. She won't use her phone to stream music on my system.
Interesting on your phone. I don't need Google Home once setup at all, and my android phone wakes quickly enough except for Spotify, which can take a little time to refresh (but is immediate with my bubbleupnp app). I at one point thought it laughable to use a phone for such....now my current and old phones' primary use is to direct streaming content on various systems. I don't use presets, tho, never even thought of such.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis