Is Salesman Lying to me?/ Post what you paid for your Paradigms

J

jmanlp

Audioholic
I recently went to shop for some paradigms. I loved how they sounded. I have an HK AVR 435 on the way, and I was looking into some speakers for it. The salesman who was really pushing his amps also, said I would not be able to drive monitor 11s and i would barely be able to drive monitor 5s. I'm thinking to myself "doesnt the monitor 11s have higher sensitivity than the 5s?" as I just nod my head silently. Is this true? Can I not drive all thos wolfers on the 11s? Anyway all the monitors sounded great (with the exception of the 3s) to me. So im deffinatly looking into getting me some, but I don't know what to believe

Also I would like to know what you paid for your paradigm speakers (more specifically monitors) You cant really buy em online so I can't compare prices easily, and I don't wanna get ripped off. Thanks a bunch.

Last edited:
J

jmanlp

Audioholic
Thanks, thats a good reference. I will see what he charges for them. I noticed in the picture of the monitor 7s on that web site the two woofers look the same, where as on paradigm's site there is a black/carbon woofer as well as the other type. Is that a newer or older style?

Also can anyone answer my first question about sensitivity?

B

bikehikefish

Audiophyte
The Paradigm dealer here list the Monitor 7 V3 at $750 and is selling them for $700. I'm not absolutely certain, but I think he was asking $850 for the 9's.

Q

Quig

Audioholic Intern
jmanlp said:
Whats the newest version?
Don't hold me to this but I believe the V.4's are the newest and JUST came out.

As far as amplifier power...

I've got Monitor 11's and use a 250 wpc Carver to drive them. They sound GREAT. I've also used an old Sony and a brand new Yamaha RX-V2500 to power them and they sounded very, very good in both cases also. I think the salesman was, well... trying to SELL you an amplifier. Just remember, you can always add an amp later if you decide it's necessary. I'd bet you won't need it.

And for reference, I believe I paid a bit over $1000 for my 11's about a year ago. :cool:

Keep doing your homework and you'll be very pleased with your purchase. :D

J

jmanlp

Audioholic
I had a sneaking suspicion he was trying to sell me an amp. Kinda off topic, how do you amplify 5 speakers? Most amps ive seen are 2ch so would you need 3 amps? Anyhow shouldnt the monitor 11s play louder than the 5s given the same amount of power?

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
there are a number of companies like Sherbourne and Outlaw that make 5 and 7 channel amplifiers (at anywhere from $ 800 to $ 3,000) . stacking is always an option, and you can get decent single-channel amps at more or less reasonable prices at partsexpress.com and outlaw.com. just buy however many you want or need.

T

tjs

Enthusiast
monitor 7

just paid 750 for v4 and another (2x25) :cool: :D 50.00 bucks for shielding. i have two dealers near me and both charged the same.

D

dloweman

Audioholic
jman,
I just bought the monitor 7's v3, as they have just came out with the v4 and were clearing out the v3's. Yes, the 11's are easier to drive than the 7's and 5's. With a mid 90's db sensitivity the HK can EASILY drive these speakers. I have a $200 kenwood receiver that is bottom of the line, and it does the job, not what i want, and will be replaced once i get more money. In terms of money, I got the 7's for 800 canadian after tax. So, if you can make it up here to canada, not sure where you are from, then it is quite a bit cheaper. I love the speakers by the way and highly recommend them.
derek

A

anicca

Audiophyte
Paradigm monitor 7 vs. Energy C9

Hi,
Anyone has experienced with both and can comment on which is better? The C9s can be had for $650.

Thank you!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis