Is running two Onkyo SKW-940 THX subwoofers worth it?

P

paulgyro

Junior Audioholic
I was able to pickup a Onkyo SKW-940 for $30, it comes from the Onky HT-S990THX home theater in a box (review here: https://www.soundandvision.com/content/onkyo-ht-s990thx-integrated-home-theater-system). I grabbed it just in case it was a cheap gem.

It doesn't seem like a bad little sub, it can play lower then I expected (-3db 19 hz).

I know duel subs is the way to go so I'm wondering if it made sense to search out and pay say $200 for a second one?

To ask it another way, is $230 total worth if for old dual sealed, 12" THX certified subs with a measured freq response from 19 hz to 103 hz -3 Db (specs are 20 hz - 100 hz)?

I've attached pics of the official specs. The measured freq response of the sub can be seen in the review above.

Thanks for the sanity check all!
OnkyoSKw940Specs.png

Paul

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Sell that sub and get your cash back (or try to make some)
I'd rather have one of these, then two of those

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
I’ve tried HTIB systems from Pioneer, Polk, and Onkyo and the bass has always been a weak point, among other things. It wasn’t until I bought an entry level subwoofer from Velodyne that I realized how much more you can get when you aren’t cramming every possible feature and claim in to a turn key home theater package.

Consider the specs they are claiming, 140W power into a small sealed enclosure and achieving 19 Hz at -3...at what SPL they don’t specify but you can bet it’s not very loud if it is accurate.

I agree with the above post, you’ll be happier with something else if you are considering spending $230 on a sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
You can get an SVS PB 1000 for $399 right now with free delivery.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I can't imagine buying speakers or subs with the Onkyo branding but then I don't think I've ever seen/heard any either. The THX certified should mean something but "integrated home theater system" designation by THX could be meaningful....maybe for small room applications in the case of HTIB sets? @shadyJ any insight there?

I'd take the opportunity to get a better sub and speakers if you can afford it....but maybe in a smaller room without too much spl demand the Onkyo system could well be satisfactory to you as it was to the reviewer.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I can't imagine buying speakers or subs with the Onkyo branding but then I don't think I've ever seen/heard any either. The THX certified should mean something but "integrated home theater system" designation by THX could be meaningful....maybe for small room applications in the case of HTIB sets? @shadyJ any insight there?

I'd take the opportunity to get a better sub and speakers if you can afford it....but maybe in a smaller room without too much spl demand the Onkyo system could well be satisfactory to you as it was to the reviewer.
It might just have a THX Compact Certification, meaning it can reproduce THX Reference levels in a small room. That would still be good because at least you would know the system is well-behaved up to a point. However, without measurements, we will never know for sure.

P

paulgyro

Junior Audioholic
Thanks all, it's THX Select certified so reference level down to 20 hz with low distortion in up to a 2000 cubic foot room. I'm not going to bother picking up another unless I can get another $30 deal. Seems sealed subs don't have enough punch in the chest for me. I did find if I put this Onkyo right behind the couch I did get a bit tactical bass and it's not boomy at all.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks all, it's THX Select certified so reference level down to 20 hz with low distortion in up to a 2000 cubic foot room. I'm not going to bother picking up another unless I can get another $30 deal. Seems sealed subs don't have enough punch in the chest for me. I did find if I put this Onkyo right behind the couch I did get a bit tactical bass and it's not boomy at all.
$30 would definitely be worth adding another for :) Depends on the design of the sealed sub as well as the basic driver capabilities/box size chosen as well as eq built into the amp. They're simply not as efficient in lower bass generally vs ported, tho. With sufficient driver, amp, eq sealed can work quite well.....

P

paulgyro

Junior Audioholic
Cool, do you know of a sealed sub that chest thumps good?

Ridikolus

Ridikolus

Audiophyte
You knew these guys were going to dismiss it.
I’ll take it! I’ve had one for years and it sounds amazing. I have other friends who make their living in recording studios for film and radio, and they love how it sounds. I’ll take yours if you don’t want it.

P

paulgyro

Junior Audioholic
LOL thanks man, if I want to unload it I'll let you know. After doing measurements in my room I would need four of these to get the output levels I want. I would do it if I could get three more of these for $30 each. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis