Is possible to rip SACD in flac or apple format?

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
I was looking on the net for instructions on how to rip a SACD on iPod.
I am looking at some very good SACDs with classical music right now but I'll only buy if there is a decent way to rip them on my PC/iPod.
Thank you for your time.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I was looking on the net for instructions on how to rip a SACD on iPod.
I am looking at some very good SACDs with classical music right now but I'll only buy if there is a decent way to rip them on my PC/iPod.
Thank you for your time.
You have to rip the wav files and then convert them to FLAC

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
dbpoweramp is a great piece of software for converting files between formats, it can even take advantage of multiple core processors. My core i7 quad core can convert a full album from flac to .mp3 in under a minute, it's awesome.

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
dbpoweramp is a great piece of software for converting files between formats, it can even take advantage of multiple core processors. My core i7 quad core can convert a full album from flac to .mp3 in under a minute, it's awesome.
SACDs do not have a PCM stream they have a 1 bit DSD:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Audio_CD
Is dbpoweramp able to read DSD and convert to PCM? Also all the SACD are encrypted, aren't they?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Sorry, I did not read your post properly. SACDs are not PCM based but DSD, and do not use wav files. So the answer is no. SACDs do however usually have a CD layer which you could rip.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
There may be an codec for DSD with dbpoweramp, check out their website. Also not sure if SACD's are encrypted.

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
Just got a reply from the dbpoweramp guys - SACDs are encrypted - one cannot rip them to flac (or any other PCM format). The only thing you can rip is the CD layer if there is one on the SACD.
SACD SUCKS!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Just got a reply from the dbpoweramp guys - SACDs are encrypted - one cannot rip them to flac (or any other PCM format). The only thing you can rip is the CD layer if there is one on the SACD.
SACD SUCKS!
SACD is a very high definition format with the widest dynamic range of all formats, and offers 5 channel audio. I don't see why you would want to download such a high definition format to an iPod! I think all my SACDs have a CD layer, which should be fine for an iPod which could not take advantage of what SACDS have to offer.

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
SACD is a very high definition format with the widest dynamic range of all formats, and offers 5 channel audio. I don't see why you would want to download such a high definition format to an iPod! I think all my SACDs have a CD layer, which should be fine for an iPod which could not take advantage of what SACDS have to offer.
I surely appreciate the high definition of SACD but I also want to be able to listen to that music on my iPod while commuting.
IF the SACD doesn't have the CD layer then I have a problem - I can only listen it at home.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I surely appreciate the high definition of SACD but I also want to be able to listen to that music on my iPod while commuting.
IF the SACD doesn't have the CD layer then I have a problem - I can only listen it at home.
I'm yet to come across a classical SACD that does not have a CD layer. So you are covered.

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
I'm yet to come across a classical SACD that does not have a CD layer. So you are covered.
I just checked on the ones I was planning to buy - they are all hybrid so yes, I am covered.
Problem solved.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Behringer makes a USB solution you could use to import any analog audio and convert it to whatever format you want. You could also use Audacity which is a terrific free program. I use it to import vinyl onto my mac then into itunes and CD's for the car.

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
Thanks; I still think ripping the CD layer is simpler.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis