Is Optoma getting any better?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I need an advice. My long running Epson (entry level Full HD) seems to be nearing the end of the road. I started slowly looking around and these Optomas are jumping out all over the Internet.

On a good side, my needs are very basic and simple. No laser, no 4K, no projecting from 50m away, one HDMI would sufice, no audio out or speakers needed...* What I'm looking for is:

- as quiet as it gets (read some Optomas are 28dB)
- as good a picture as possible (I read DLPs are good with blacks and contrast)
- good ol' Full HD 1080p projecting from 9 feet away
- decent/bearable day time viewing (my Epson didn't do this)

* the only temptation is perhaps 4K and Optoma offers some cheap ones, but this is not a must have.

And that's it. That's all I ask for and it is how I like to enjoy my movie time. In this case, should one opt for Optoma? :) They come cheaper and this is the biggest advantage.

Perhaps an easier question, is there a certain model that has been proven more reliable when used for these basic operations?

PS: I did read the forum and looked for what people are saying about Optoma, some are happy some are not, but mostly, they are looking for a lot more out of it than I would, so I thought I'd ask.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
In recent releases, Optoma has floundered incredibly poorly compared to BenQ, and there is no way I would recommend them over BenQ. Not only have their products been substandard, but their service has reportedly be abysmal. I don't think their projectors are necessarily way off on performance, but they certainly have been missing their claims by a fair bit.

Not sure what projector you've been using by Epson, but generally LCD projectors outperform DLP in terms of brightness. If you're truly fighting for better brightness, then the Epson 3800 is one of the models to beat out there. It's a step from the basics, for darn sure, but is brighter than others with good contrast as well.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you very much! You've helped me more perhaps than you even realize. A straight answer and a definite no to one of the choices.

Just as a side note, I didn't mean that DLP is brighter than LCD as a rule, I just found a lot of reviews saying it's better with blacks and colours. That was my strongest argument for BENQ. As far as brightness goes, it was a specific Optoma claiming 4000ansi. But it's irrelevant now, since gave up on the idea.

Since you've asked, I have a very old entry level Epson EH-TW5200. It was an affordable FullHD of the day and I was very happy with it. But it had 2000ansi and just wouldn't do it with your shades up during daytime. Now it's getting all sort of strange color variations when you compare the screen left to right. Upper left corner is very green when I turn it on and it slowly goes away with warming up, but I don't think I'll invest in another lamp after this one is over, I'll change the projector.

Epson states far shorter lamp life. Is this connected to the DLP vs. LCD technology?

Now, Optoma out of the way, these are my choices (what you recommended goes under the model number EH-TW7100 in my parts, in Europe, but I see 7000 is much cheaper (500$ cheaper), so I'm thinking about EH-TW7000):
Epson EH-TW7000, LCD, FullHD, 4K, 3000ansi
or
Benq W1210ST, DLP, FullHD, Full3D 2200ansi

Benq is cheaper out of the two (940 dollars vs. 1320), but it's not 4K . Again, I really don't see the need for 4K. Benq always boasts this Rec. 709 colour wheel and this model says 96% coverage saying it's very close to cinema standard.

Epson says it's more quiet - 24dB in ECO mode (which is my most often used mode), Benq says 27dB. And brighter as well.

It boils down to could I go 380 bucks more with my budget since Epson seems to be a better choice by my specific needs. It's:
- quieter
- brighter
- among better pictures for the price...

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The TW7000 vs. 7100 appear to be the EU versions of the 3200 and 3800 models which have a long list of reviews on them. I REALLY wish they would keep similar naming conventions internationally. Panasonic used to do this with models like the PT-L300U and the PT-L300E. U for USA, E for Europe. Nice and easy. Now, it's always jumping through hoops.

The Epson models will have similar contrast to the BenQ, but will not have any potential for rainbow effect, and they support and accept full 18Gb/s 4K signals over HDMI. They are well reviewed and so far have proven to be solidly reliable. The BenQ appears to be the 2150ST which has a few years under its belt. I'm not sure I would go that route over the 690ST, which is a LED version of the 2150ST with 4K support (but it is native 1080p).
Likewise, the 1070+ will offer a very similar image to the 1210ST with slightly longer throw distance. The 1210ST is short throw, and will need the mount substantially closer than where it is now.

I owned a w1070 for years, and loved it. I sold it, then was bugged by that decision, so I bought a used w1070 again to have as a backup to my JVC projector. I'm a huge fan of what BenQ has done with their 1080p models.

I've also installed several Epson projectors in recent years. From the 3800 to the 4010 and 5050UB models, I've seen a lot of Epson and I haven't had any customers complain about quality. So, I'm thinking that reliability isn't a huge issue here.

Is the 7000/7100 better than the BenQ? IMO, not really better. It does have a LOT more flexibility in the lens, and it will be brighter. As well, Epson now manufactures the lamps for these models, so Epson original replacement lamps are about $100 and are THE WAY TO GO for replacement lamps. A top reason LCD panels/polarizers burn out is due to third party manufactured lamps which run overly hot and damage the internal optics. That, and bad airflow because people don't clean their air filters.

It is getting more and more difficult for me to recommend non-solid state projectors. Epson has been, and will remain, slow to convert to solid state since they have brought their lamp pricing down so much. But, BenQ still charges $200+ for a factory original replacement lamp. Meanwhile, for $200 more, the new BenQ TH690 is on the market for about $1,000 (US) and is a solid state LED projector. The headache for you is that it really may not be as bright as you want.

In testing in the USA, the 3800 (7100 for you) is a fair bit brighter than the 3200 (7000) model. So, most people do opt for the brighter 3800 model.

If you will have issues moving your projector mount location, the Epson may also be a better way to go. I really like the 7100 and if you read on multiple forums, you will find that the Epson 3800 has very favorable owner ratings.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It really depends on what you need from a projector. Optoma and BenQ are both known for their home theater projectors, which are great for movies, gaming, and other entertainment uses. Epson projectors are great for business and educational uses, with many of their models being interactive and featuring great brightness and color accuracy. All three brands have models that offer a range of features, so it's important to consider your individual needs and preferences when making a decision.

When we talk of their expertise and how much time passed in the market then we find:
Epson established year - 1942
Bend established year - 1984
Optoma established year - 2002

Now you can decide!
This post reads like it was created by a ChatGPT bot. In fact, I bet it was. Superficially Informative but completely useless.

Also, it's not Bend, but Benq.

Company Foundation year plays very little as Epson (or Daiwa Kogyo, Ltd in early years) did not make any projectors until 1989.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It really depends on what you need from a projector. Optoma and BenQ are both known for their home theater projectors, which are great for movies, gaming, and other entertainment uses. Epson projectors are great for business and educational uses, with many of their models being interactive and featuring great brightness and color accuracy. All three brands have models that offer a range of features, so it's important to consider your individual needs and preferences when making a decision.

When we talk of their expertise and how much time passed in the market then we find:
Epson established year - 1942
Bend established year - 1984
Optoma established year - 2002

Now you can decide!
This is the most useless, crap information I've ever read. It's completely uninformed, and doesn't address the issues of the original poster whatsoever. Calling Epson a 'business and educational' projector manufacturer reeks of pure ignorance of the industry.

Yeah, I smell a bot.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
The TW7000 vs. 7100 appear to be the EU versions of the 3200 and 3800 models which have a long list of reviews on them. I REALLY wish they would keep similar naming conventions internationally. Panasonic used to do this with models like the PT-L300U and the PT-L300E. U for USA, E for Europe. Nice and easy. Now, it's always jumping through hoops.

The Epson models will have similar contrast to the BenQ, but will not have any potential for rainbow effect, and they support and accept full 18Gb/s 4K signals over HDMI. They are well reviewed and so far have proven to be solidly reliable. The BenQ appears to be the 2150ST which has a few years under its belt. I'm not sure I would go that route over the 690ST, which is a LED version of the 2150ST with 4K support (but it is native 1080p).
Likewise, the 1070+ will offer a very similar image to the 1210ST with slightly longer throw distance. The 1210ST is short throw, and will need the mount substantially closer than where it is now.

I owned a w1070 for years, and loved it. I sold it, then was bugged by that decision, so I bought a used w1070 again to have as a backup to my JVC projector. I'm a huge fan of what BenQ has done with their 1080p models.

I've also installed several Epson projectors in recent years. From the 3800 to the 4010 and 5050UB models, I've seen a lot of Epson and I haven't had any customers complain about quality. So, I'm thinking that reliability isn't a huge issue here.

Is the 7000/7100 better than the BenQ? IMO, not really better. It does have a LOT more flexibility in the lens, and it will be brighter. As well, Epson now manufactures the lamps for these models, so Epson original replacement lamps are about $100 and are THE WAY TO GO for replacement lamps. A top reason LCD panels/polarizers burn out is due to third party manufactured lamps which run overly hot and damage the internal optics. That, and bad airflow because people don't clean their air filters.

It is getting more and more difficult for me to recommend non-solid state projectors. Epson has been, and will remain, slow to convert to solid state since they have brought their lamp pricing down so much. But, BenQ still charges $200+ for a factory original replacement lamp. Meanwhile, for $200 more, the new BenQ TH690 is on the market for about $1,000 (US) and is a solid state LED projector. The headache for you is that it really may not be as bright as you want.

In testing in the USA, the 3800 (7100 for you) is a fair bit brighter than the 3200 (7000) model. So, most people do opt for the brighter 3800 model.

If you will have issues moving your projector mount location, the Epson may also be a better way to go. I really like the 7100 and if you read on multiple forums, you will find that the Epson 3800 has very favorable owner ratings.
Another great post with a lot of information. My income may push me towards the 7000 model, but if that's my biggest problem, I got none.

I will admit finding the EU model number for that 690 you recommend proved to be a hard nut to crack. My sources failed me so far. I'll keep on trying since you got me interested. That model sounds pretty cool. If you have some reference chart for model numbers, please share a link. Even the original Benq page is of no help.

1k to1.2k is already stretching it in my frame of reference, so I'll just look for the most affordable one among the ones you've mentioned.

I always buy original lamp (regardless of cost), and I intend to take after my father and when I make up my mind on the projector, I'll order a spare lamp together with the projector. That's how he always bought things. I'll just keep it in a "dark and dry" place.

I would gladly take your advice, but it's a significant price difference for me. I'll just compare prices between Epson 7000 and Benq 690 and make a choice.

You've been more than helpful and I thank you.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Well, don't laugh now but this is how I use it. I made this shelf, it's for my "bedroom cinema", falling asleep with movies.
Projek.jpg

It's just the right height and small adjustments are no problem. Above my head and projecting to the opposite side.

What I really came back to say is that 5 days ago there was some discount on the Benq TH690ST, it was selling for 845$ (!!), I just missed it for a few days. Damn shame.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Coming back here to this topic only to give a big thank you to @BMXTRIX for his recommendation of Benq TH690ST.

Some time passed while I was waiting for the funding, but it arrived yesterday from Germany. In EU it is roughly 1130 U$. I got it slightly cheaper and it is a great beamer. I love it.

I can see red/green/blue sort of coming apart, but oddly enough it's mainly visible on subtitles and when you move your eyes quickly over the surface.

A really good piece of equipment. Beautiful image for the movies. VERY easy for a basic set-up, but you can also tinker if you choose advanced settings. Feels very natural out-of-the-box. Runs cool (as opposed to classic LCD-lamp config.)

One single "heads-up" from me - this "short throw" is a given. This is a projector to be used close to the screen - under 300cm. The min zoom is still big enough to give you a 160inch image from just under 300cm.

I remember having a very old ST Benq which also functioned as a Long Throw. This one is only ST and if you're not able to put it close to the screen, your image might be bigger than the screen itself. It's a thing to consider; you either have to have an option to set it as close as 200cm approx. or you have to have an extra large screen. Otherwise it'll fall off the screen onto the wall.

jinjuku

jinjuku

This post reads like it was created by a ChatGPT bot. In fact, I bet it was. Superficially Informative but completely useless.

Also, it's not Bend, but Benq.

Company Foundation year plays very little as Epson (or Daiwa Kogyo, Ltd in early years) did not make any projectors until 1989.
I warned about this in the mods forum. Expect more and more of this from spammers.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Some time passed while I was waiting for the funding, but it arrived yesterday from Germany. In EU it is roughly 1130 U$. I got it slightly cheaper and it is a great beamer. I love it.
That's really good to hear. Most who have used it seem to be quite happy with it. BenQ is really pushing their LED light engine mentality vs. so many others which have gone with laser light engines. Apparently, LEDs are way more efficient, but have had issues with brightness that more recent LED technologies have really gotten beyond. This is why we seem them in so many car headlamps and such these days. They actually ARE bright enough to deliver a really bright and usable image.

I can see red/green/blue sort of coming apart, but oddly enough it's mainly visible on subtitles and when you move your eyes quickly over the surface.
This is called the rainbow effect (RBE) and I think it is far more prevalent then people understand. I think MOST people may be able to see RBE, but as it seems to be the case with you, it doesn't generally distract you from general movie viewing. For a very small few, RBE is so intense as to cause them nausea. My family never noticed RBE, or at least they never mentioned it, when we were using our BenQ projector. I never wanted to point it out to them and have it potentially take away from their experience. With our 3-chip LCoS projector, obviously, there is no chance for RBE issues.

...This one is only ST and if you're not able to put it close to the screen, your image might be bigger than the screen itself. It's a thing to consider; you either have to have an option to set it as close as 200cm approx. or you have to have an extra large screen. Otherwise it'll fall off the screen onto the wall.
It's worth adding that the BenQ HT2060 is the standard throw version of the 690ST. So, it will work if you have/need a bit more throw distance. Generally, a bit longer throw is a good thing in terms of overall image quality, but in my experience with the BenQ models, the lenses have been well designed and the image has been sharp with both the short throw and their standard throw models.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I really like my used Optoma 1080p PJ from fleabay couple of months ago. The clarity, colors and background blacks are just great. If I were to upgrade to 4K I'd consider it for a good deal. I'd also consider benq as it got a great rep.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Well, don't laugh now but this is how I use it. I made this shelf, it's for my "bedroom cinema", falling asleep with movies.
View attachment 59718

It's just the right height and small adjustments are no problem. Above my head and projecting to the opposite side.

What I really came back to say is that 5 days ago there was some discount on the Benq TH690ST, it was selling for 845$ (!!), I just missed it for a few days. Damn shame.
I'm not laughing. Mine is on top of a Oppo Blu-ray player on my dresser.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
That's really good to hear. Most who have used it seem to be quite happy with it. BenQ is really pushing their LED light engine mentality vs. so many others which have gone with laser light engines. Apparently, LEDs are way more efficient, but have had issues with brightness that more recent LED technologies have really gotten beyond. This is why we seem them in so many car headlamps and such these days. They actually ARE bright enough to deliver a really bright and usable image.

This is called the rainbow effect (RBE) and I think it is far more prevalent then people understand. I think MOST people may be able to see RBE, but as it seems to be the case with you, it doesn't generally distract you from general movie viewing. For a very small few, RBE is so intense as to cause them nausea. My family never noticed RBE, or at least they never mentioned it, when we were using our BenQ projector. I never wanted to point it out to them and have it potentially take away from their experience. With our 3-chip LCoS projector, obviously, there is no chance for RBE issues.

It's worth adding that the BenQ HT2060 is the standard throw version of the 690ST. So, it will work if you have/need a bit more throw distance. Generally, a bit longer throw is a good thing in terms of overall image quality, but in my experience with the BenQ models, the lenses have been well designed and the image has been sharp with both the short throw and their standard throw models.
Thanks for the additional info.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis