Is my subwoofer cable to long?

R

Ras777

Audioholic
I'm in the process of moving all my equipment to a storage rack in a closet. I have two HSU VTF15H MKZ subs. One is on the far side of the room and will need 60ft of cable, the other is close to the closet and only needs 8ft. Is the 60ft run going to be problematic? Monoprice makes a 75ft cable for $24, or I can go with a BJC custom 60 footer for $110...seems a bit pricey for a sub cable. I guess going wireless is an option too but I heard that can also be prone to interference. I really love these subs and don't want to degrade their performance. Any suggestions? BTW I ran REW and moving the subs are not really an option.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Should be fine. That audio signal is low bandwidth and is easy to move. If you can, or have an AV shop to make one, RG-6 is cheap. I had a 50’ cable made for 15 bucks.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Long RCA interconnect cables are on place where you really need a coax with a heavy braided shield, like the BJC LC-1 (it's well worth the money).
note that with cables labeled RG-6, you don't know much about the shield. Some have OK shields but many don't.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Monoprice High Quality works great for long runs. It is double shielded and solid copper conductor. I even run my 25' cable right by some power cables and a power strip... no issues.

R

Ras777

Audioholic
I know mono price makes good products but their options are limited and I would need to go with a 75ft cable that’s almost 20 more feet than I really need. Tough choice. I know this is probably a stupid question but having one 60ft cable and one 8 foot cable is not going to make any real world difference correct?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I know mono price makes good products but their options are limited and I would need to go with a 75ft cable that’s almost 20 more feet than I really need. Tough choice. I know this is probably a stupid question but having one 60ft cable and one 8 foot cable is not going to make any real world difference correct?
;)
You would need miles of cabling!

Roger Russel Speaker Wire

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Even though I'm an avowed Monoprice slut... If you can find somebody that will make you an RG6 cable with good connectors, to size, for a fraction of the BJC cost, I'd say do it!
I have subwoofer cable coiled under one of my subs... about 7' maybe. No problems.
Ideal? nah.
But also, keep in mind that you need a good amount of slack for moving equipment for service or cleaning. Depending on your setup... just unhooking the cable isn't always an easy option. ;)

Regardless, this isn't about getting you to buy Mono...

Avoid at all cost: Copper Clad Steel.
Avoid for principle, if nothing else: Copper Clad Aluminum
Do buy a good quality RG6-rated cable assuming it meets the main criteria of solid copper conductor, double shielding (part of the definition of RG6), as well as having good connectors.
:cool:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
You really don't want to cut it to an exact length. What is you have to move it a few feet or two more.
That extra 12 ft -15 ft is not a big issue. Just coil it where you can hide the coil.

R

Ras777

Audioholic
Thanks for all the great advice! How do you feel about HDMI cable that needs to be 35 feet. I wasn’t going to post this here but I figure since were on the subject I’ll throw it out there. I just purchased a JVC RS2000 projector and I am looking at both BJC and Monoprices active cables since my run is going to be 35ft.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
This is a good thread for you to check out, I think. I don't remember what he decided to do, but it gets into exactly what you are asking and more.

Cheers!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis