Is my Multi-Meter crap?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Ok yeah, it's crap, based on it's a real cheapie. In fact, I think Crutchfield sent it to me for free years ago. What I really want to know is if it is broken. DC Volts section seems to work. But when I was working on my motorcycle a couple weeks back, I wanted to check continuity on some wires. So with a fresh 9 volt battery inserted, I set the multi meter to 200 in the ohms section. Touching the leads together first (which is my habit to check the meter I suppose), it did not go to zero! Yes it was on. Should it not go to zero, no matter which selection in the ohms section? Is this thing busted?

Attachments

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
AstroAI DT132A (around $20) is used by one of the most successful car-fixing channels, Youtbeters - Pine Hollow Diagnostics.
I figure if it's good enough for him, it will probably be ok for you, too :)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Maybe it was reading the cables resistance?
I just checked my older Fluke, it reads 2.4 Ohms.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Keeps flashing a new number every 1/2 second. Between 80.5 and 190.1 and everything in between. Selection is 200 ohm.
Sounds like it is a dud. Are the batteries good in your fluke? They are good meters and should read zero.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Sounds like it is a dud. Are the batteries good in your fluke? They are good meters and should read zero.
Yes. New 9 volt. Reads a bad small cell 12 v battery at below 12v. Exact same reading as Battery Plus' multi meter. I brought it with me this morning to compare when I stopped in for a new battery. I'll toss this meter in the circular file.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
The test leads on budget DMM meters are junk (and unsafe at AC power voltages).
I have had the probe fall off three leads. They were never correctly crimped.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
The test leads on budget DMM meters are junk (and unsafe at AC power voltages).
I have had the probe fall off three leads. They were never correctly crimped.
The leads worked for DC voltage testing.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

try a very short 14/12 ga solid copper if you have one, bend it in a u shape, remove leads and put it in that slot. I did that and Ohm went almost 0.
Or, unplug one cable and stick the other into the unplugged hole.

Last edited:
Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
try a very short 14/12 ga solid copper if you have one, bend it in a u shape, remove leads and put it in that slot. I did that and Ohm went almost 0.
I would but I tore out the battery connector inside in case I need it for something. Then tossed it. Otherwise, that would have been worth a try! My leads look fine however.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Very often the voltage or resistance readings are all over the place. It's because of dirt or some oxidation on the selection switch and contacts. This frequently happens when you haven't used the tester for awhile. When this happens, I just rotate the knob both ways a couple of times and everything returns to normal behaviour.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis