Is it Time to Upgrade Your Subwoofer?

M

Muzykant

Audioholic
It's not necessairly a hearing problem. Everyone loses their hearing at the extremes at different rates, regardless of the levels they have listened to music or other things in the past, which isn't to say protecting your hearing won't help you keep it longer.

How have you verified that you are still 20-20khz if you don't mind me asking?
Well, with my headphones I can hear the extremities of the full range sweep or sine wave tones clearly. My doctor also checked my hearing and was pleased. Is there a standard way of checking?

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Huh what, can some get a forum interpreter to sign it. I've lost 2kh more in my left than right. I have to work hard to adjust for it in my music system. :(

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
How old is your conservatory professor ? At age of 50 or so he'd be lucky to be able to hear 100 hz or so. I'm 37 and I already almost lost anything above 16 khz and below 80hz
I'm 53 and easily hear frequencies below 30 Hz... My top end hearing is sitting around 13.5 KHz which rolled off from 22KHz when I was in my early 20s. What you said is a contradiction of the university prof's hearing. If he found it unnaturally loud,then he's hearing the bass. I've heard of top end loss due to age but never the the lower end loss. :confused:

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Now - lets get things straight - I can hear below 50hz or above 16khz, just not as good. With same level at which, say 1khz sounds loud enough, but 40 would barely audible.

Also if anyone is older than a teenager, to be able to hear 20 khz - I call it a horse manure, pardon for my french.

Also I do suspect I have some minor hearing loss.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Now - lets get things straight - I can hear below 50hz or above 16khz, just not as good. With same level at which, say 1khz sounds loud enough, but 40 would barely audible.
Yeah there's some curve with a hyphenated name that describes exactly what you are saying here but you made no reference to that in your original post.

Also if anyone is older than a teenager, to be able to hear 20 khz - I call it a horse manure, pardon for my french.
I was in my early twenties before I started losing the top end of my hearing. Up until that point, I was tested and heard 22KHz. That's no merd de cheval ;) . I suspect my hearing loss was attributed to going to rock concerts without wearing hearing protection. Then the aging process took over.

Also I do suspect I have some minor hearing loss.
More than likely....due to the aging process.

Last edited:
hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
Nope, no upgrade needed for my SB13-Ultra, though a second would be sweet!

B

Basshead81

Audioholic
According to that chart I have enough sub for 120db playback in a 2400^3 room...the best part is I have 3 :). I guess the only point for upgrading would be to chase sub 15hz frequencies at referenfe levels but I need a entirely different room to accomplish that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis