Is it Time to Cut the Cord?

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
After I retired I downgraded my TV portion of AT&T UVERSE from 300 to just 30 channels. Kept the landline and internet portion for now. Probably am still paying too much. Plus the cell phone is Verizon. Have no desire for Netflix (or as I like to call it, NOTflix, can never find what I like there!)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
With no other option for local sports, I signed up for ATT TV (DirectTV Stream) with Root Sports so I will get NHL Seattle Kraken games this season.

This means I’ll be getting rid of Sling TV Blue and Hulu.

I also will likely dump Disney plus and go to Showtime for a while when Dexter comes back. :)

I still haven’t tried Apple TV plus or Paramount Plus or Peacock. Might check some of them out for a free trial at some point. :)

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I won’t bother with peacock til I can afford premium plus . I use roku ultra it streams Netflix very clear and better sound quality.
My cheap bedroom system makes it sound amazing… it’s all about speaker placement.
But Blu-ray crushes Netflix there audio is only Dolby digital basic so yes it is trash …
I think Netflix is only worth it if you watch it enough to justify the price that keeps rising ?!!!
Otherwise look Hulu or others better.
Agree, I use the Ultra as well. The only real issue we have is when the wifes uses the ear phones it sucks the life out of the batteries in the remote.

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Not sure if anyone else has this issue but my HBO Max app has rewind and fast forward issues on my 2 firestick 4k and my fire cube 4K. I have zero issues on my three AppleTV 4K streamers. Hopefully a bug they will address soon.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
My impressions of DirecTV Stream are that it’s good but it’s expensive. I want to try out the Xfinity Stream app on FireTV to see if that can work for me. Then I can hopefully bundle my TV and internet and avoid a cable box and still get Root Sports.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Not sure if others have had this issue on Apple TV but on my Showtime Anytime App, I only get 2.0 audio on movies. (It’s 5.1 on my firetv Cube). As a work around since I have Showtime through Hulu, I can use the Hulu App for Showtime movies and then they do come through in 5.1 on the Hulu App on Apple TV 4K.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, it’s hit and miss across services and devices. While service apps can support up to Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 with Atmos, that doesn’t mean it works across all devices and some support but 2.0 using some service apps.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Not sure if others have had this issue on Apple TV but on my Showtime Anytime App, I only get 2.0 audio on movies. (It’s 5.1 on my firetv Cube). As a work around since I have Showtime through Hulu, I can use the Hulu App for Showtime movies and then they do come through in 5.1 on the Hulu App on Apple TV 4K.
We kinda do the same thing. But Roku Ultra handles the front end, with Hulu, NEtflix and the other chosen streaming services we selected noted on Roku as selections..

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
We kinda do the same thing. But Roku Ultra handles the front end, with Hulu, NEtflix and the other chosen streaming services we selected noted on Roku as selections..
Yeah if only cable services would go digital and stop this crap garbage compressor of data , any new 4k tv the images don’t look as clear as a 1080. Unless they’ve fixed this in newer models ?
Must be too expensive to make Internet servers for it?
Why is Netflix so-much clearer but cable blurry and super pixelated, i see like every pixel but detail is missing .
U verse sucks but most other cable services are just as bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Actually got it looking pretty decent on the 4k tv finally . But streaming still beats cable picture quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Directv Satellite HD in 1080i is just GREAT. Not sure if my AVR or TV is doing any upscaling. The upscaling is turned on both devices. Netflex comes in with 1080p and the TV does some upscaling. I have a 4 year old 4K TV. Buy a TCL TV.

We had U-Verse up until 2 years ago and their 1080i picture was great with the same AVR and TV. I switched the Directv Satellite as learned that ATT more less supports Satellite, when negotiating contracts. I had talked to a local CBS station manager and more less told me to switch to Satellite. ATT is having to negotiate 2 contracts with locals or paying for dbl duty. ATT has not been accepting any new U-verse customers, which is telling those to switch to streaming. I imagine U-verse channel list will shrink as time goes by.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Something odd started happening with HULU, I get these HULU Error Code : P-DEV320 and all you do is press OK and the picture is back . HULU has been NO help. All the other services I have off my ROKU Ultra ( Discovery +, Disney +, Neflix and of course ROKU) don't have any problems.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
That's great and all, I'm not using OS or an Android, its Ethernet straight to the Roku Ultra from the Cable modem. And NO other streaming service on my Roku is impacted. I know its not my 1 GB internet speed and Spectrum is not stalling any data rate since they did come out and check it. I have the lastest HULU and ROKU version. I can stream anything ( movies) on my TV from Disney + or Netflix or Roku and never ever have an error or buffering problem., I hate to drop Hulu LIve since it has all of my 4 local channels and they come in real handle during Hurricane season. From what I gathered today from Hulu, they " think its a sever capacity problem". Of course no outcome on a resolution and people continue to complain about this error since 2019.
Hulu Error p-dev 320
Digital Media Player Issue

This issue generally means there is an issue on Hulu’s end, and it normally occurs when you’re watching Hulu on your digital media player, like a Roku or Xbox One.

Bummer, I wonder if youtube TV has the same issues.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Directv Satellite HD in 1080i is just GREAT. Not sure if my AVR or TV is doing any upscaling. The upscaling is turned on both devices. Netflex comes in with 1080p and the TV does some upscaling. I have a 4 year old 4K TV. Buy a TCL TV.

We had U-Verse up until 2 years ago and their 1080i picture was great with the same AVR and TV. I switched the Directv Satellite as learned that ATT more less supports Satellite, when negotiating contracts. I had talked to a local CBS station manager and more less told me to switch to Satellite. ATT is having to negotiate 2 contracts with locals or paying for dbl duty. ATT has not been accepting any new U-verse customers, which is telling those to switch to streaming. I imagine U-verse channel list will shrink as time goes by.
1080i looks terrible for spots on my Sony , but 720p is fine . It’s not as clear as my dad’s expensive old Samsung but better value / cost . Those 3D TVs were spectacular for 2d.
I don’t understand why my parents insist on that using this obsolete cable service they are technologically lost ..
I’ve asked them to switch to spectrum thousands of times. They said they would take my cable box away I’m like that’s only thing I can watch sports on , no thanks .

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That's great and all, I'm not using OS or an Android, its Ethernet straight to the Roku Ultra from the Cable modem. And NO other streaming service on my Roku is impacted. I know its not my 1 GB internet speed and Spectrum is not stalling any data rate since they did come out and check it. I have the lastest HULU and ROKU version. I can stream anything ( movies) on my TV from Disney + or Netflix or Roku and never ever have an error or buffering problem., I hate to drop Hulu LIve since it has all of my 4 local channels and they come in real handle during Hurricane season. From what I gathered today from Hulu, they " think its a sever capacity problem". Of course no outcome on a resolution and people continue to complain about this error since 2019.
Hulu Error p-dev 320
Digital Media Player Issue

This issue generally means there is an issue on Hulu’s end, and it normally occurs when you’re watching Hulu on your digital media player, like a Roku or Xbox One.

Bummer, I wonder if youtube TV has the same issues.
It's been a while since I've used a Roku, but you can just uninstall and reinstall the apps right? If that doesn't work, especially since nothing else is having issues on the same Roku, it's a hulu issue and I would think you wouldn't be the only one impacted.

Or, did they pull a Netflix and update something that broke older devices?

If you did all this and I missed it, sorry.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
It's been a while since I've used a Roku, but you can just uninstall and reinstall the apps right? If that doesn't work, especially since nothing else is having issues on the same Roku, it's a hulu issue and I would think you wouldn't be the only one impacted.

Or, did they pull a Netflix and update something that broke older devices?

If you did all this and I missed it, sorry.
OH its a Hulu issue for sure. APPS uninstalled installed, etc... And its been reported all over the Hulu forum from a lot of users since 2019. I think its a server issue on their end. I'm thinking about just trying youtube live for the heck of it just to see.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
OH its a Hulu issue for sure. APPS uninstalled installed, etc... And its been reported all over the Hulu forum from a lot of users since 2019. I think its a server issue on their end. I'm thinking about just trying youtube live for the heck of it just to see.
I really like YouTube TV a lot. Much more than hulu's version. Or really anyone else's. Hulu used to be one of the best streaming services around. I think they've let it go.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Not sure if anyone else has this issue but my HBO Max app has rewind and fast forward issues on my 2 firestick 4k and my fire cube 4K. I have zero issues on my three AppleTV 4K streamers. Hopefully a bug they will address soon.
Yep. Also, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos just stop working on the HBO Max app on the FireTV Cube.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis