Is it Time to Cut the Cord?

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
We cut the cord about 2 years ago. No regrets.

Having temporarily moved somewhere with Xfinity, I can confidently say we HATE traditional TV. Finding something on TV when I want to watch it is a major inconvenience. Then, when we do watch a show, it feels like it's 50% commercials, 30% BS filler in the show repeating what you already saw to build fake suspense, and 20% actual show. It's truly a horrendous user experience, just one we've all been conditioned to accept. Cutting the cord is painful for a few weeks then it's like the veil is lifted.

This is firmly one of those "the new ways are better" scenarios. Sure, not all the content is there yet, but the user experience is better in every way I can think of.

S

SimplyEpic

Audioholic
Just cut the cord last week. Got rid of my cable TV and upgraded to Gig internet. I use Pluto for local live news which is free, I have Prime Video included in my membership and upgraded to Prime Music HD Unlimited. We also get Disney+ for a year for free from being a Verizon customer. We don't really watch much of anything TV wise and are saving about $150 a month even with the current subscriptions.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Ok I cancelled $65 YouTube TV and signed up for Sling TV Blue. I’m not sure I’ll stay at the $30 level or pay the $5 for extra DVR space. 10hr vs 50hr.

They have the local Fox station available at my location so that’s 11 of the 16 Seahawks games scheduled this season.

I mostly just watch Hulu and Netflix anyhow. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I cut the cord 4 months ago.
We cut the cord a little over a year ago and have never been happier
We cut the cord about 2 years ago. No regrets.
Kind of like those AA meetings, this seems like a CC meeting (Cut Cord). :D

We don't quit.........Except for Cable. We quit Cable. :D

I quit cable about 4 years now. I quit Direct TV about 6 months ago. DTV is a rip off, but cable is even worse. For example, I pay AT&T 1Gbps Internet for $80/month, including all fees and equipments. Cox cable charges $112 the first year, then $132 per year, including equipment fees.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Kind of like those AA meetings, this seems like a CC meeting (Cut Cord). :D

We don't quit.........Except for Cable. We quit Cable. :D

I quit cable about 4 years now. I quit Direct TV about 6 months ago. DTV is a rip off, but cable is even worse. For example, I pay AT&T 1Gbps Internet for $80/month, including all fees and equipments. Cox cable charges $112 the first year, then $132 per year, including equipment fees.
LMAO! AA LMAO! yeah I stop drinking cause of AA. what a joke right? Talk about occult club. You make a Choice you keep drinking you Die! or just say No to drugs right? lolo.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Ok I cancelled $65 YouTube TV and signed up for Sling TV Blue. I’m not sure I’ll stay at the $30 level or pay the $5 for extra DVR space. 10hr vs 50hr.

They have the local Fox station available at my location so that’s 11 of the 16 Seahawks games scheduled this season.

I mostly just watch Hulu and Netflix anyhow. :)
Sling TV DVR is not very good compared to YouTube TV. YouTubeTV is by far the best one I've used.

Sling is very good, and has damn near everything you could want from a TV provider, but some stuff is funky. Like orange channels can only be viewed by one device, while blue is limited to 3. If that doesn't mess with you then you'll probably love Sling.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Sling TV DVR is not very good compared to YouTube TV. YouTubeTV is by far the best one I've used.

Sling is very good, and has damn near everything you could want from a TV provider, but some stuff is funky. Like orange channels can only be viewed by one device, while blue is limited to 3. If that doesn't mess with you then you'll probably love Sling.
Ya might switch again in a year. For now it should work. I mostly watch Hulu (no commercials one) or Netflix.

I have 3 TVs and chose blue

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
Anyone here have YouTube Premium? I absolutely hate the ads on YouTube, but not $12/mo hate them yet. Thoughts on whether it's worth it.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Anyone here have YouTube Premium? I absolutely hate the ads on YouTube, but not $12/mo hate them yet. Thoughts on whether it's worth it.
I used to use Google Play Music so I got YouTube premium for "free". I still use YouTube Music so I still get it for "free".

Would I pay for it on it's own? Nope.

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
I used to use Google Play Music so I got YouTube premium for "free". I still use YouTube Music so I still get it for "free".

Would I pay for it on it's own? Nope.
So... google be spying on me. Apparently I got 3 months free with my google drive upgrade. They sent the email as I was posting my question above. So I'm trying it now. I do like the no ads so far, but like you said, probably not worth the cost.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
The only reason I have directv is because I'm a Philadelphia sports fan living in Arizona, and nobody else has the NFL Sunday ticket. Other than ESPN, some news channels, PBS and a few other channels like AMC, Destination, I really have no use for network TV. It's mostly garbage. And the directv 4k channel is a joke. We use the Roku Ultra mostly.

R

Rhythm-man

Audiophyte
We currently have a cable package, which is expensive but it's better than any streaming service. Plus cable offers a better sports package than any of the streaming channels, Direct TV or Dish Network (at least we can get PAC-12 and Big-10 games, whenever they play again). We've tried various streaming services, and they continually cut out and buffer -- very annoying. We have Amazon Prime, and there are only a handful of shows that are worth watching (e.g., Bosch and Wonderful Miss Maisel). Many are British-made shows or movies that we can't understand very well! And their movie selection is mediocre at best, and no better than cable. We're waiting for sports to come back, then maybe we'll consider streaming again, but only if the streaming service carries a good sports package and the service improves greatly. My advice -- try out a streaming service before cutting the cable or Direct TV cord because you may not like it!

Eric Seaberg

Eric Seaberg

Audiophyte
I had been with Dish for many years, leaving the cable company in San Diego after multiple equipment failures. I had been happy with Dish, until Fox Sports San Diego was NO LONGER on the network due to "contract issues". I decided to look into YouTube TV since I have Apple TV 4k devices throughout the house, and gigabit internet service coming in. What a difference... I got rid of as many satellite receivers as I could since I'm still under contract for 10-months... but love the channel options I now have. I can also watch programs on ANY other devices... iPad, computers, phone... with all of my favorites coming up on all devices.

Even by keeping my Dish equipment another 10-months, I'm paying less now than I was strictly having Dish... and I have more programming flexibility.

NEVER GOING BACK!!

BTW, YouTube TV does have a free trial period, so you can check it out without a commitment.

C

cbaker89

Audiophyte
I dumped Dish, because the PQ was horrible. I tried YTTV and it was nice at first, but it was expensive for what you get, and the audio is in stereo only (great sports though). Eventually went to Comcast, the PQ is great and doesn't suck up the bandwidth in the house. Their prices were on par with Dish but a better PQ (not 1080i and it's noticeable). Packaged with their internet I am actually saving compared to Dish with internet seperate.

antne

antne

Audiophyte
I was DirecTV from way back when TIVO was free and the dish was 18" round. After the Death Star of AT&T took over, I watched service circle the drain while pricing kept rising. I already had Comcast for my internet only feed and actually got disgusted enough with DTV to order television package from Comcast. But true to form Comcast failed to show for the install. It was only later that evening (like after 8 PM) did I get a call form Comcast trying to excuse their screw up. Thanks , no thanks. A friend suggested You Tube TV so I thought to give them a try. That service was OK until they dropped a $15 increase to the monthly charge. Dropped then for Hulu at $12/month, so far so good.

antne

antne

Audiophyte
I had been with Dish for many years, leaving the cable company in San Diego after multiple equipment failures. I had been happy with Dish, until Fox Sports San Diego was NO LONGER on the network due to "contract issues". I decided to look into YouTube TV since I have Apple TV 4k devices throughout the house, and gigabit internet service coming in. What a difference... I got rid of as many satellite receivers as I could since I'm still under contract for 10-months... but love the channel options I now have. I can also watch programs on ANY other devices... iPad, computers, phone... with all of my favorites coming up on all devices.

Even by keeping my Dish equipment another 10-months, I'm paying less now than I was strictly having Dish... and I have more programming flexibility.

NEVER GOING BACK!!

BTW, YouTube TV does have a free trial period, so you can check it out without a commitment.
Are you enjoying the $15 increase for U Tube TV as well ?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Are you enjoying the $15 increase for U Tube TV as well ?
I am. Got me some channels I was missing and allowed me to cancel Philo and save a whole $2 per month. The DVR is the best out of the 6 streaming TV services I've tried. Shows never expire and you don't run out of space. Interface is much better too. On-demand selection might be good enough for me to cancel Hulu (horrible interface) which will save me another $12/mo. Granted, I'll miss out on the 2 hulu shows I watch, but I can always turn it back on for just that.

Sure, $65 isn't cheap, but for what you get, I can't complain. I was paying WAY more than that for DirecTV and didn't get as good a picture and the DVR was laughably horrible. Sure, I did get DD 5.1, but on most TV shows, I don't care.

C

cbaker89

Audiophyte
The great thing about streaming, satellite, and streaming is we finally have options. No doubt it keeps the others in "check" sort of speak. That is until the big guys consume the smaller streaming services, just like Dish could care less if you go to Sling as they own it.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
All they want is your money! So.. Google "be" Spying on you. "be"

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
All they want is your money! So.. Google "be" Spying on you. "be"
Wonder if it’s a movie streaming service like Netflix ? If not I’d rather suffer adds
At & t looks pretty horrible on 4k TVs ..don’t know when I’ll use that tv again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis