is it possible to use 2 subwoofers

G

gcmarshall

Full Audioholic
i have the yamaha RX-V2500. is it possible to have 2 separate subwoofers hooked to this unit? if so, how would i hook up 2 subs? does having 2 subs reduce bass output to each sub? in other words, does sending the bass signal to 2 subs instead of just 1 reduce the bass output b/c of it being split up or something like that?

in any case, the basic request is whether or not it's doable and how to hook it up? thanks....

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
You need a y splitter. A male to 2 females. This will work, and NOT reduce the signal.

SheepStar

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
so just how many times could you split the signal before a noticible loss sound quality occurs? Basically Im wondering how many subs you could use?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Two is already not that easy to calibrate, and the more you get, the harder it will be to get them to work together. If you want more bass, consider just getting one GOOD sub rather than two lesser ones. Two identical subs will give you exactly the same sound as one, only twice as loud (+6dB). They will not go lower, only louder.

Splitting the signal does lose a little voltage to both, but I couldn't tell you how many times you could split the signal before it became a problem, but as I said, lots of subs isn't a great idea anyway.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
j_garcia said:
They will not go lower, only louder.

Except that the inaudible lows from one may be audible with two as they are louder. :D

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I would perfer 2 lesser subs. Better stereo imaging, helps with room modes etc etc.

If they go louder, they will then go lower, but not alot.

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can't get stereo sound from two mono subs :) There is no imaging.

mtrycrafts said:
Except that the inaudible lows from one may be audible with two as they are louder. :D
True :) But it depends on the sub as to whether that is useful or not ;)

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
I would LOVE to have 2 PB10s - ah yes, one day, two will be mine. Actually, If I just had another $429 I could have two. Seems so simple when I put it that way... :D

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
j_garcia said:
You can't get stereo sound from two mono subs :) There is no imaging.

True :) But it depends on the sub as to whether that is useful or not ;)
Stereo, as in 2. 2 subs, better imaging. Try it, its alot better.

SheepStar

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
edwelly said:
I would LOVE to have 2 PB10s - ah yes, one day, two will be mine. Actually, If I just had another $429 I could have two. Seems so simple when I put it that way... :D
Not only that, but you can have true stereo subwoofering thanks to your ICBM. See, it only gets better :cool:

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
j_garcia said:
Two is already not that easy to calibrate, and the more you get, the harder it will be to get them to work together. If you want more bass, consider just getting one GOOD sub rather than two lesser ones. Two identical subs will give you exactly the same sound as one, only twice as loud (+6dB). They will not go lower, only louder.

Splitting the signal does lose a little voltage to both, but I couldn't tell you how many times you could split the signal before it became a problem, but as I said, lots of subs isn't a great idea anyway.
.....JGarcia, Mr. GR Research, where did I go wrong with you?....two up front....split to taste....goodbye localization of left to right....both subs will last longer as they both are now backed off....two sound like three....another PB 10 when you can, EdWelly, you'll be set for life on subs....the 10 inch cones give the voice you actually want on the top end of the sub content....times two=three, I kiddeth youse knot....any of you Neanderthals think I make money when you buy a sub?....huh?.......

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
jaxvon said:
Not only that, but you can have true stereo subwoofering thanks to your ICBM. See, it only gets better :cool:
arghh.... trying so hard not to buy another... Come mid Jan. I will revisit this idea again. I have a LOT of stuff planned for the first part of next year on the ole' system.

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
mulester7 said:
....EdWelly, you'll be set for life on subs........
I couldn't agree more... That is unless I end up getting rosewood or maple speakers... :D

toquemon

toquemon

Full Audioholic
I use two subs and bass is smoother than when i used one sub. Another good thing is your subs would be less stressed in explosions than if you were using just one sub.

I´m just planning to use 3 subs:

2 Subs connected to my mains via high-level connectios (one per channel).

1 Sub connected to the Receiver for handle the LFE channel via low-level connections.

I'll tell you next week what happened!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
mulester7 said:
.....JGarcia, Mr. GR Research, where did I go wrong with you?....two up front....split to taste....goodbye localization of left to right....both subs will last longer as they both are now backed off....two sound like three....another PB 10 when you can, EdWelly, you'll be set for life on subs....the 10 inch cones give the voice you actually want on the top end of the sub content....times two=three, I kiddeth youse knot....any of you Neanderthals think I make money when you buy a sub?....huh?.......
Well, my sub is located basically mid way between my mains, and I don't really have any localization issues. Using an 80Hz x-over seems to keep it pretty well under control :) SVS's first recommendation to me when I contacted them about more woofage was to get a second PB-10 :D

R

rollinrocker

Audioholic
Marshall, i'm actually running three subs, two supercube reference up front and sunfire mkii in rear. Sub volume levels set at about 1/3 and processor at minus 8 db. No boom, very low distortion, strong, solid bass. When i fire 'em up, like the joker in the first batman movie, "I get a grin...agin"

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
j_garcia said:
Well, my sub is located basically mid way between my mains, and I don't really have any localization issues. Using an 80Hz x-over seems to keep it pretty well under control :) SVS's first recommendation to me when I contacted them about more woofage was to get a second PB-10 :D
Do it Do it Do it!

Rollinrocker(sp?)

Thats quite a sub-setup you have. Any reason why a Sunfire and not another supercube? Do you feel the Super Cubes actually perform to their spec?

SheepStar

R

rollinrocker

Audioholic
Sheep, i actually had the sunfire first. The references were added later, after i sold an m&k mx-200, which was a fine sub. They are a genuine tactile experience!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis